Courier FWD Trucklet

22 minutes ago, MKX1960 said:

I saw this early today. These guy's used to put out some good material, but lately seem to post mostly click bait speculation.

The corona virus situation has caused a lot of information to dry up in many segments of society, so I suspect these guys and others are just scraping by on what little is out there.  With that said, I hope it gets better soon, because there isn’t much interesting going on right now.  

Don't think the Maverick tailgate is for the Trucklet.  A Ranchero won't need a tailgate step.  This truck will be about the size of the original 1983 Ranger, no problem getting into truck bed.

Edited by T hawker

13 minutes ago, T hawker said:

Don't think the Maverick tailgate is for the Trucklet.  A Ranchero won't need a tailgate step.  This truck will be about the size of the original 1983 Ranger, no problem getting into truck bed.

ANOTHER new Truck???  :thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, T hawker said:

I don't think that has a tailgate step.

33 minutes ago, T hawker said:

Where do you see a tailgate step?

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mavericks, but folks still remember them as 70s shitboxes. Ranchero was a car. While it fits the defintion of what this is, you can't be 'tough' and use a car moniker. As for Sport Trac or Courier, the original Mazda built Couriers were what this should be if it makes production, so its the only historical name that makes sense. Otherwise name it something new and different. 

3 hours ago, zipzoomflyfast said:

Sport Trac was technically (at the time) a SUT or Sport Utility Truck. A truck made and built off an SUV platform that was catered to the "activity" lifestyle vs hard core work. It would fit for the Gladiator competitor or the smaller pick up. 

Nope, Sport Trac and current Ranger occupy the same product space.

The compact pick up is a level below and more like a Bronco Sport/ Escape  pick up

even though it's based on Transit Connect version of the C2 platform

On 5/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, T hawker said:

The drawing shows divisions in the sheet metal, very similar to Ford's current design on the full size trucks for a pullout step.

The vertical lines you see at the top edge of the tailgate (roughly in line with the M and K) are just lines the software places at a point where a new curve/surface starts.  I used this type of softeware for work, so I'm familiar with how it looks.

The 3 notches in the top of the sheetmetal are in similar locations to the F-150's outside of the tailgate step.  Looking at the sheetmetal of the F-150's tailgate+step, on this Maverick, there are no cut outs for the step supports or the step platform itself (here's a picture for reference) in the center of the tailgate.

You can see in this photo the 3-4 large cutouts in the center of the tailgate for the step components on F-150's tailgate:

(sorry this image won't display on the thread here for some reason, you'll have to click the link)

https://i.imgur.com/1XglMy2.jpg[/img]

Similar cutouts to the outer ones on the Maverick photo can be seen under the black plastic on the outside of the F-150's tailgate

WLNtQUB.jpg[/img]

haO9Qcj.jpg[/img]

19 hours ago, YT90SC said:

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mavericks, but folks still remember them as 70s shitboxes. Ranchero was a car. While it fits the defintion of what this is, you can't be 'tough' and use a car moniker. As for Sport Trac or Courier, the original Mazda built Couriers were what this should be if it makes production, so its the only historical name that makes sense. Otherwise name it something new and different. 

I don't like the Courier name - it just sounds weird.

I also don't think many will think of some 70s Maverick when looking at this.

Edited by rmc523