Courier FWD Trucklet

32 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't like the Courier name - it just sounds weird.

I also don't think many will think of some 70s Maverick when looking at this.

The Mazda B series rebadged in the U.S. as Ford Courier predated the larger, more capable 1983 Ranger and fit the slot Ranger eventually took over. It was an inexpensive, no nonsense, reliable, tough little pickup. That name still carries equity for Ford here and abroad - where they built Fiesta based sedan deliveries and trucklets until very recently under that moniker.

You're instantly going to turn off most people over 35 with Maverick. May as well call it Granada or Windstar. 

15 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

The Mazda B series rebadged in the U.S. as Ford Courier predated the larger, more capable 1983 Ranger and fit the slot Ranger eventually took over. It was an inexpensive, no nonsense, reliable, tough little pickup. That name still carries equity for Ford here and abroad - where they built Fiesta based sedan deliveries and trucklets until very recently under that moniker.

You're instantly going to turn off most people over 35 with Maverick. May as well call it Granada or Windstar. 

Can you talk out both sides of your mouth? The Courier has zero name recognition in the US since they haven't made one in almost 40 years. The Maverick hasn't been built since 1977. Neither name has any resonance with anyone younger then 50 years old.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, twintornados said:

And the only variation between that version and the sedan/CUV version is the rear suspension.

2020 Escape wheelbase: 106.7 in 

2020 Transit Connect Wheelbase: 

SWB: 104.8 in

LWB: 120.6 in

I don't think its getting built on a SWB body-need longer WB to make it look ok.

I was looking at the TC-the LWB model is nearly 189 inches long-which would make it longer then the first Gen Ranger. 

1 hour ago, YT90SC said:

The Courier name is actually much older than that. It dates back to the sedan delivery models of Ford wagons:

49bb562353393373c7fd9ac2c67dc941.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

2020 Escape wheelbase: 106.7 in 

2020 Transit Connect Wheelbase: 

SWB: 104.8 in

LWB: 120.6 in

I don't think its getting built on a SWB body-need longer WB to make it look ok.

I was looking at the TC-the LWB model is nearly 189 inches long-which would make it longer then the first Gen Ranger. 

Has it been confirmed as regular cab or dual cab?

If it's just a regular cab, that may  limit its appeal.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The vertical lines you see at the top edge of the tailgate (roughly in line with the M and K) are just lines the software places at a point where a new curve/surface starts.  I used this type of softeware for work, so I'm familiar with how it looks.

The 3 notches in the top of the sheetmetal are in similar locations to the F-150's outside of the tailgate step.  Looking at the sheetmetal of the F-150's tailgate+step, on this Maverick, there are no cut outs for the step supports or the step platform itself (here's a picture for reference) in the center of the tailgate.

You can see in this photo the 3-4 large cutouts in the center of the tailgate for the step components on F-150's tailgate:

(sorry this image won't display on the thread here for some reason, you'll have to click the link)

https://i.imgur.com/1XglMy2.jpg[/img]

Similar cutouts to the outer ones on the Maverick photo can be seen under the black plastic on the outside of the F-150's tailgate

WLNtQUB.jpg[/img]

haO9Qcj.jpg[/img]

I don't like the Courier name - it just sounds weird.

I also don't think many will think of some 70s Maverick when looking at this.

Rmc523, thanks for the clarification.   As for the name, I'm partial to Ranchero but really don't care what they call it as long as they build it.  Love to see a 2 door awd version. 

• Like 1

These, the Del Rio Ranch Wagons and the Rancheros were the vehicles I would try to find, in the St Paul's "Back to the Fifties' a few years back.

I think the '57 was the best looking year of the 50's for those models.

I hope they go with Ranchero name first, but would be OK with Maverick.

DelRio2-vi.jpg

DelRio1-vi.jpg

Edited by jniffen

The Maverick car in the 70's was a nice car and not a shitbox. My mother had the 2 door blue and white one. (I forgot the what they called the trim level, but Mustang and Pinto could have that color scheme too.) It was a nice car that lasted a long time and never gave us trouble.

But the Maverick name has been forgotten, and seems to fit the Bronco's cowboy theme as a truck. It was a silly nameplate for a car. 

I think it is a perfect fit for a truck.

Ranchero sounds a bit passe and Courier is probably a better fit for a small van (which is what it is in Europe, Transit Courier)  

• Like 5

On 5/2/2020 at 2:27 PM, ausrutherford said:

The Courier name is actually much older than that. It dates back to the sedan delivery models of Ford wagons:

49bb562353393373c7fd9ac2c67dc941.jpg

It was also used continuously for much longer than people in the US remember. The Mazda B-series based Courier that some people referenced continued uninterrupted from the 1970s until 2007. Ford used Courier on its pickup truck in Asia Pacific until 2007 when it finally switched to Ranger (Europe having switched to Ranger a few years earlier).

In fact, there was a big debate in Australia back when the name switch happened and a lot of people thought it was a mistake to junk the Courier name that had so much history in favor of Ranger which no one knew and the only people that knew it as a junky outdated American truck. 

1024px-2002-2004_Ford_Courier_(PG)_GL_2-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, probowler said:

This looks really good, but the sloping roof kills it. Straighten that out and it would look fantastic.

like I said, it was quick. That’s a Ranger roof. Maybe I’ll try a Gladiator roof next. 

1 hour ago, zipzoomflyfast said:

I think Bronco Sport Trac would be a great name for a true Gladiator competitor - Maverick is a solid name for the compact Bronco pickup :) 

Mid size Bronco Sport-trac would be confusing with Compact Bronco Sport SUV. 

Ok, let us remember the compact Maverick will not be a member of the Bronco family.

Ford wants to start is asking price at under $20k. Remember that the Bronco Sport is going to be "premium" to the extent that it will be above the Escape in the pecking order.

Ford is NOT going to "premium" the Bronco Sport and then allow a Bronco nameplate on a work-truck version of the truck. NOT going to happen. Maverick will not be a part of the family.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spudz64 said:

So the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz small pickup will be the big competitor for this new Ford small pickup...its body in white was caught on film in the below link!

http://www.burlappcar.com/2020/05/2021-hyundai-santa-cruz.html 

Depends...I think the Santa Cruz will be larger then the Maverick-more like a Ridgeline or at least over 200 inches long. The Maverick will be under 200 inches long. 

12 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Ok, let us remember the compact Maverick will not be a member of the Bronco family.

Ford wants to start is asking price at under $20k. Remember that the Bronco Sport is going to be "premium" to the extent that it will be above the Escape in the pecking order.

Ford is NOT going to "premium" the Bronco Sport and then allow a Bronco nameplate on a work-truck version of the truck. NOT going to happen. Maverick will not be a part of the family.

Not sure how Ford is planning on making money on Maverick if it is that cheap. 

The Ranger starts at $24K

The Transit Connect is $28K, which would be the sibling the Maverick shares its platform with, along with the Escape, which starts at $24K

Not sure how they are gonna be able to make money on a small pickup if its 20K-or 4K then the Escape that they apparently have hard time making money on or 8K less then the TC. 

If they try, its going to be a stripper special and get pulled apart by the press. Your going to have very limited options (single power train) and the dash and what not will be recycled from other products without much changing. 

Only way I can see it working (and how it will most likely play out) is the next gen Ranger gets bumped up in price to 27K and it falls into the 22K starting price range or so. I'd expect a price bump for the 2021 F-150 to give the Ranger more breathing room.