Rivian Based Lincoln EV Cancelled

Covid-19 related delay in restarting Rivian's plant operations contributed to this decision, but it's probably not the only reason for it.

I hope this decision doesn't mean that Ford is pulling back on BEV development for Lincoln, or on its partnership with Rivian overall. 

Edited by rperez817

42 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

Yeah, I figured. Too much to think about once production and dealerships reopen. Ford will not be the only one to cancel or postpone plans.

Most certainly.  You just can't lose 600+million dollars in the first quarter, and maybe as much as 5 billion(!) in the second quarter and expect product plans not to change.  The low hanging fruit goes first.  

25 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

The low hanging fruit goes first.  

Yes sir, that makes sense. Ford needs to be careful not to destroy the orchard as they pick the low hanging fruit. Electrified vehicles especially BEV are a big part of Lincoln's brand renaissance.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

In the grand scheme of things a 80-100K BEV isn't practical for Lincoln right now and all the other issues Ford is facing, its the best course of action short term. 

Exactly. I have a feeling  a lot of projects like that are going to be put on ice for the foreseeable future, especially with oil prices tanking. I doubt the get cancelled outright though. 

• Like 2

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2020/04/28/lincoln-cancels-plan-develop-ev-rivian-coronavirus/3042517001/

"Lincoln essentially has decided that it was going to take its own approach to electrification, but it remains fully committed to electrification for Lincoln customers," Ford Chief Financial Officer Tim Stone said during a conference call Tuesday.

Translation= We have a BEV chassis already in the FoMoCo stable and we can use that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Exactly. I have a feeling  a lot of projects like that are going to be put on ice for the foreseeable future, especially with oil prices tanking. I doubt the get cancelled outright though. 

While I think the future of EVs is still there and depending on price of oil (which is artificially low due to the globe more or less being shut down), we might see a spike in prices once demand comes back...but that partly dependent on how much of glut we have to go through. 

Plus how many of them where they planning on selling? 5-10K a year? Not exactly a profit center that way either. 

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

Cheaper to reskin the Mach E or they are talking about the BEV CUV mid sizer which might just be a 3 row Mach E anyways. 

51 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Cheaper to reskin the Mach E or they are talking about the BEV CUV mid sizer which might just be a 3 row Mach E anyways. 

This.  They were already working on that without Rivian.  It’s not worth building a large Bev platform on your own just for a few thousand units a year even if it is an expensive flagship.  There may have also been resource issues on the Rivian side.  It could change next year.

43 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

I think it is more the realization that having a Lincoln SUV and Rivian SUV built on the same chassis was kind of pointless.  One would inevitably cannibalize the other.  Lincoln would be better suited getting a Mach E based product first.

Rivian was building a more mainstream SUV.   The Lincoln version would be a flagship Continental replacement and a lot more luxurious/expensive.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

Rivian was building a more mainstream SUV.   The Lincoln version would be a flagship Continental replacement and a lot more luxurious/expensive.

Given the price I don’t think you could argue that the Rivian SUV is anything but a luxury vehicle.  I don’t think Lincoln could justify a higher price. 

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Given the price I don’t think you could argue that the Rivian SUV is anything but a luxury vehicle.  I don’t think Lincoln could justify a higher price. 

Remember I was in a focus group for Rivian truck and suv and I didn't see mention anything close to the luxury features that you see in an Aviator or Navigator or Continental.   It was more along the lines of a Ford Titanium or entry level Lincoln product.  The high cost is mostly in the batteries and multiple motors and software.

It's unfortunate, I was hoping for the Lincoln/Rivian SUV to be ready in three years when my lease is up on my Aviator.  Hopefully if things improve down the road they will reconsider a Rivian partnered project, but I agree it makes sense that they just use what they already have in the works now for the Mach E to create a rebadged Lincoln BEV (hopefully with sufficient upgrades to justify it as a Lincoln).

My company has two Mach E's on order so at least I'll get to try it out before the Lincoln version comes out to see if it's worth it.  Otherwise I might go directly for the Rivian R1S or R1T as my next vehicle after the Aviator as I need something with decent tow capacity to haul the boat and I doubt the Mach E or future Lincoln variant will cut it for towing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sullynd said:

Regardless of the price, I would call it a luxury SUV the interior and exterior are both really nice and look upscale.

7 minutes ago, rampagex7 said:

Regardless of the price, I would call it a luxury SUV the interior and exterior are both really nice and look upscale.

Not saying it’s not a luxury vehicle, but the Lincoln flagship would have been more luxurious and much more expensive and would not have been competing directly.