Ford files to trademark Excursion name

Hmm.  Interesting.

I know I see them around, and even see people that have grafted later model Super Duty front ends onto them.

That said, I wonder if it's for a Super Duty-based SUV or something else?  A la Bronco "Excursion" or something.

• Like 1

This is very interesting to me because I haven’t seen anything that corresponds with this in the cycle plan yet.

That being said, you can’t find a used Excursion anywhere. People rebuild them, they put new engines and transmissions in them and keep them going. If an Excursion is totaled they scrap the parts for immediate use.

If this is Super Duty based again I gotta wonder where they’ll build it. KTP is maxed out.

Edited by ExplorerDude

im not sure what this would be. There was a business case for the previous gen excursion. The super duty was larger than the f150, so it made sense to build a larger suv based off of the super duty (I also don’t think the expedition xl was around back then but I could be wrong). Now that the super duty and f150 share the same cab, there isn’t that size difference to justify a new suv. Could it be a more off-road oriented expedition sized vehicle (similar to escape and bronco sport)? I don’t think it will be in the bronco family. Bronco excursion is too much of a mouthful to say. What else is left for it to be?

Edited by T-dubz

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

im not sure what this would be. There was a business case for the previous gen excursion. The super duty was larger than the f150, so it made sense to build a larger suv based off of the super duty (I also don’t think the expedition xl was around back then but I could be wrong). Now that the super duty and f150 share the same cab, there isn’t that size difference to justify a new suv. Could it be a more off-road oriented expedition sized vehicle (similar to escape and bronco sport)? I don’t think it will be in the bronco family. Bronco excursion is too much of a mouthful to say. What else is left for it to be?

The sales of the Excursion was lackluster at best-not sure what "business case" you are referring to.

There was a high of 50,000 units in 2000-then a steady decline after that.

Edited by CKNSLS

The biggest reason to offer a super duty based excursion would be to offer the 6.7L diesel and 7.3L gas engines and higher tow ratings.  It would generate a lot of revenue and profit but won’t sell in big volume.  And as pointed out above factory capacity would be an issue.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Would be interesting if this is applied to a BEV utility.

I don't understand this obsession with turning giant SUVs into electrics?

The Tesla truck was yuuuge, Hummer is going electric, now people are suggesting this be battery powered? It's weird.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

They could just be protecting the name for future use. (Remember the Fusion was originally supposed to be Futura but Ford lost the name to Pepboys). 

Someone that works at my local car wash has an Excursion that he put a more recent Superduty front clip (2011+) on and it looks really sharp. 

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

They could just be protecting the name for future use. (Remember the Fusion was originally supposed to be Futura but Ford lost the name to Pepboys). 

Someone that works at my local car wash has an Excursion that he put a more recent Superduty front clip (2011+) on and it looks really sharp. 

That was my thought.  I think Ford learned a tough lesson with the Fusion/Futura issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, probowler said:

The Tesla truck was yuuuge, Hummer is going electric, now people are suggesting this be battery powered? It's weird.

They already have the Expedition for a conventional engine SUV, and they have made an extended wheelbase one as well. They tried a gas powered larger SUV in Excursion before and it didn't go as well as planned due to it not being in the line up now, so maybe something different is in the works.

Ford cancelled the Lincoln /Rivian but Ford said they were still going to work  with Rivian so this also makes me wonder if this is it.

14 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

This is very interesting to me because I haven’t seen anything that corresponds with this in the cycle plan yet.

That being said, you can’t find a used Excursion anywhere. People rebuild them, they put new engines and transmissions in them and keep them going. If an Excursion is totaled they scrap the parts for immediate use.

If this is Super Duty based again I gotta wonder where they’ll build it. KTP is maxed out.

One possible solution to this would be to move Super Duty pickups to Ohio alongside the Super Duty Chassis-Cab trucks to free up capacity for gas/diesel-powered Excursions at KTP, if the Excursion will indeed be Super Duty-based. I'm sure they'll figure something out. My guess is that they are just reserving the name for future uses like some mentioned. Or maybe full-size BEV SUV with good towing. If that's the case, it would probably be built at Ohio next to the Transit BEV.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, probowler said:

You can more easily "hide" the higher cost of BEVs in more expensive vehicles, not to mention weight is less of a factor the larger you go.

Ford has kept ahold of many of the their former nameplate's trademarks without using them.

It still owns Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie and Model T.

They have even kept ahold on concept-only names like Evos and formal trim levels like Adrenaline and Lightning. 

Does not mean they are bringing back the Excursion. 

4 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Ford has kept ahold of many of the their former nameplate's trademarks without using them.

It still owns Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie and Model T.

They have even kept ahold on concept-only names like Evos and formal trim levels like Adrenaline and Lightning. 

Does not mean they are bringing back the Excursion. 

I wonder if they still own “pinto”? 

I wonder if a return to a Super Duty based Excursion  is as easy as using the Expedition Max body on the Super Duty chassis.

If that's the case, then maybe the Expedition Max gives way to a new Excursion, something beyond CAFE's GWR.

Give buyers a 6.7 Powerstroke diesel or 7.3 Godzilla, charge plenty for it and not look back

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Chevy hasn't had a Suburban 3/4 ton since 2013. I don't think that there's enough of a market for heavy duty full-size SUVs to have a separate model or even just a variant of the Expedition. I think that Ford is either just protecting the trademark or is going to use it on a EV SUV.

• Like 1

I have to think the business case is there. It's just parts bin engineering using the 6.7/7.3 and a bunch of existing super duty stuff and some expefition body bits and pieces. Then sell them for $75k each. Doesn't take much volume at all to make that work.

My guess is it's more an issue of factory capacity and bigger fish to fry.

FWIW my 2000 Limited w/ the V10 is a forever vehicle for us.  There's just nothing else like it available then or now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

I thought that about Aspire...and yet Ford reused it in India for the SWB version of the Figo sedan. 

Aspire was just a forgettable small car. Pinto had the whole safety reputation issue which can't be detached from the nameplate.