Interesting sales note...

This is just from the guy at the service desk, so don't know it's veracity. I am using this time of no work/no paycheck to get caught up on little things that take all your time up. So for me to go to the local Cad dealer for my generator oil change in my ELR, it's like a 45 min drive one way. Anyway, he's the only guy at the desk and I assume that sales are dead slow.

So I ask, "I assume that the times right now are bad for you guys and cars in general". He says no, they've been doing okay. But the GMC dealer next door has been going gangbusters! He mentioned 84 month zero interest and whatever other deals are making people come in a get deals they've never seen before.. He made it sound like no  problem at least around here in the land of Prius.

I checked early on for daughter because she claimed she was in the market for a new car (I was trying to talk her into a Corsair). At the time, about a month ago we were starting to see some deals, but mostly it was Japanese manufacturers offering zero or low interest loans, but not telling you it was leftover hard to sell models and no 2020's. At the time, I think Lincoln was the first to offer deals on 2020's. I don't know what they have going on now though... All I know is I need another car like a hole in the head. ? I hope people that can afford it take advantage of some super deals out there.

Hope all you guys are doing well. Only 100 deaths, almost all pre-existing condition elderly patients here in Oregon, so I guess we've been super lucky, except of course our elderly loved ones. My mom's care facility is locked up like NORAD.

6 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

This is just from the guy at the service desk, so don't know it's veracity. I am using this time of no work/no paycheck to get caught up on little things that take all your time up. So for me to go to the local Cad dealer for my generator oil change in my ELR, it's like a 45 min drive one way. Anyway, he's the only guy at the desk and I assume that sales are dead slow.

So I ask, "I assume that the times right now are bad for you guys and cars in general". He says no, they've been doing okay. But the GMC dealer next door has been going gangbusters! He mentioned 84 month zero interest and whatever other deals are making people come in a get deals they've never seen before.. He made it sound like no  problem at least around here in the land of Prius.

I checked early on for daughter because she claimed she was in the market for a new car (I was trying to talk her into a Corsair). At the time, about a month ago we were starting to see some deals, but mostly it was Japanese manufacturers offering zero or low interest loans, but not telling you it was leftover hard to sell models and no 2020's. At the time, I think Lincoln was the first to offer deals on 2020's. I don't know what they have going on now though... All I know is I need another car like a hole in the head. ? I hope people that can afford it take advantage of some super deals out there.

Hope all you guys are doing well. Only 100 deaths, almost all pre-existing condition elderly patients here in Oregon, so I guess we've been super lucky, except of course our elderly loved ones. My mom's care facility is locked up like NORAD.

I was at my dealer yesterday for my first oil change and to have the headlight control module reprogrammed. It seemed very busy and you would never know anything was going on other than a lot of cleaning. I took the time to look over new cars and all were unlocked as usual and nobody told me not to sit in them or anything. I sat in a Ranger and finally ruled that out. They're just too bare bones inside. I sat in 2 Explorer ST's and 1 Platinum. The interiors seem to be more cheaply put together than   what I recall my 17 Platinum being like. I'm waiting for the Bronco to hit the lots before making up my mind.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. I talked to my friend who is a sales manager at a Ford dealership, and I suggested that things may not be going well because of the coronavirus situation, and he said things were going pretty good.  

I was thinking there might be good deals on 2020s, and they are really only dealing on 19s. It really didn’t seem like they were pushing that hard on sales to me. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Most dealers around me are not only open but they’re offering shopping and delivery at home.

Comrade Whitmer's executive orders completely shut down car sales for a while. She relaxed it a bit to open up online sales but not every dealer is participating. Both of my dealers are doing online sales, but only one of them is open for service. Unfortunately the one that is open for service is an hour away. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mackinaw said:

My local dealer now offers online sales and will bring a vehicle to your house for a test drive.  Service is only for "essential and safety" repairs.  Shortened hours for the service department too.

What a concept.  Dealers are now forced to enter a world where they have to cater to customers in order to sell a vehicle.  Rather than expecting the customer to visit the store, and attempting to use the normal tactics to encourage said customer into “taking it home today”.  Keep in mind, I’m referring to the uneducated customer, I know exactly what I want and the price I’m willing to pay before entering a dealership (probably in the minority).  

31 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

What a concept.  Dealers are now forced to enter a world where they have to cater to customers in order to sell a vehicle.  Rather than expecting the customer to visit the store, and attempting to use the normal tactics to encourage said customer into “taking it home today”.  Keep in mind, I’m referring to the uneducated customer, I know exactly what I want and the price I’m willing to pay before entering a dealership (probably in the minority).  

Still planning on buying a new vehicle this year.  I'm tempted to take them up on the test drive.  I get Z plan, so don't worry about price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

I have bought my last few vehicles via text. My last purchase they brought to my house, we signed the papers at the kitchen table, and they went over the new vehicle  in the driveway.  He then drove the trade back to the dealership.  This was before the Wuhan virus, so some dealerships are figuring it out.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tbone said:

I have bought my last few vehicles via text. My last purchase they brought to my house, we signed the papers at the kitchen table, and they went over the new vehicle  in the driveway.  He then drove the trade back to the dealership.  This was before the Wuhan virus, so some dealerships are figuring it out.  

A friend of mine did that. I'll probably do that when my Fusion comes due.