2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid Review

Decided to post a review of my new 2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid after reading all the negative posts on here about its looks and interior quality.

A few weeks ago turned in a leased 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Limited after 42 months of driving. Loved the vehicle, but really fell hard for the Escape Hybrid after local Ford dealer let me test drive a Titanium hybrid for 24 hours

Ordered a Velocity Blue SE as the Titanium model was more than I wanted to spend.  A  few days later Ford closed their plants. So after a couple weeks kept looking at this white tricoat metallic SE hybrid with the premium package. Not a fan of white, but the sparkly white with the black roof, grill, lower cladding, and 19 inch Bridgestones with gorgeous alloy wheels really looked super sharp. So I bought it and got the 72 month 0% loan. Better than the $3500 in rebates.

My Grades which greatly differ with many posters;

Exterior Styling    A

Paint Job    A

Fit and finish.  B

Front seat comfort    A

Back seat comfort    B

Steering wheel     B

Stalks quality    C

Arm rest and center console   A

Instrument display    A

Infotainment system    A

Infotainment display.    A

Dashboard feel    B

Center stack switch gear    B

Upper door card quality    B

Lower door card quality    C

Stereo sound    B

Rotary dial quality    A

Fuel efficiency    A

Ride and handling    B+

Road Noise    A

Engine/electric seamlessness    A

Acceleration/passing power   B

Cargo space    B

Panoramic sun roof    A

Quibbles:

Miss the fog lights, side mirror turn signals, auto dimming mirror with compass on mirror. Other than that, this Escape is significantly better than the 2017 Crosstrek in just about every way. Also better than a brand new Equinox I drove as a rental for a couple weeks recently. Checked out a new Rav 4 hybrid before I bought this Escape and not being able to fill its gas tank adequately scared me off plus Toyotas knife edge styling.

Overall, I give the 2020 Escape an A. Only unknown is reliability.

Time will tell. 

The hybrid, especially the SE is the sweet spot, and the SEL with 2.0 is certainly worth  a look. With $3500 being the average rebate it seems, every trim level offers potential value.

• Like 9

Honestly, I don’t even know why they offer the SE. the hybrid is only about $1,000 more, and you get better engine, better wheels, and better instrument panel. The digital IP makes you feel like you are driving a much more expensive vehicle, so it’s easier to over look some of the escapes lesser qualities in the interior. The  black wheels help the exterior look a bit more sporty, and it sounds like the hybrid drivetrain  fixes my biggest complaint (besides it’s looks) of all the noise and vibration from the 3 cyl.

for “bang for your buck”, the sport hybrid trim on the escape is probably one of ford’s best values.

• Like 2