Hyundai Santa Cruz Truck body leaked

T-dubz

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

hyundai-santa-cruz-leaked-photo.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/419918/hyundai-santa-cruz-leaked-photo/

body looks pretty good. I thought they’d tone it down a bunch from the concept but apparently they didn’t.

I suspect if you want to penetrate the truck market, you need to try to come in with a splash otherwise it’s difficult to get attention with so many good products in the category from well established players, and some of the most loyal vehicle buyers. 

The body doesn’t look too bad, but it’s hard to really pass judgment without the complete package.  This will be interesting to see in the end.  

Edited by tbone

42 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Is it me or do those window openings seem really small? Something about it to me screams Suburu Baja to me. I know, I know very little can really be told from this photo.

The back window looks tiny with that kickup on the door. The front looks ok and I think the strap around the B pillar is throwing things off too. 

• Like 1

The Ridgeline will finally have some competition, which became very boring in the current generation. If they bring the level of refinement of the Palisade to this vehicle it will be a much better option than the Ridgeline. I still can't get over how many first generation Ridgelines you see on the road. 

Edited by jasonj80

3 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The Ridgeline will finally have some competition, which became very boring in the current generation. If they bring the level of refinement of the Palisade to this vehicle it will be a much better option than the Ridgeline. I still can't get over how many first generation Ridgelines you see on the road. 

Hmm,  I barely see any in my area.  Old or new models.

Edited by rmc523

I think you do see the Ridgelines and don't notice. They don't stand out like they did before.

I saw one a month ago and was shocked it was a Ridgeline when I thought it was some bland 2000's decade truck.

The thing that makes me wonder is how few of the old ones I see. They were somewhat common and now they're gone. I live in New England which is rough on cars, but my only conclusion is they don't last a long time like regular trucks or Honda's cars.

Also, I love the look of this new Hyundai !

edit- How do I stop this underline thing that keeps happening? It underlines a word like the post above and puts a link in it, then all further words typed appear behind it, and I have to correct it.

Edited by atomcat68

14 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Also, I love the look of this new Hyundai !

edit- How do I stop this underline thing that keeps happening? It underlines a word like the post above and puts a link in it, then all further words typed appear behind it, and I have to correct it.

I don't know but it is irritating.  I'll ask Robert.

1 hour ago, atomcat68 said:

The thing that makes me wonder is how few of the old ones I see. They were somewhat common and now they're gone. I live in New England which is rough on cars, but my only conclusion is they don't last a long time like regular trucks or Honda's cars.

Its actually one of the most reliable vehicles there is, it is almost always on the vehicles that make over 200K miles, they also have insane resale value.  They seem to be very market specific, I notice a good amount in the Midwest, Canada, Florida as well as AZ, NV, CA, but few on the south, east coast, and Pacific northwest.  There's actually a fair amount on the roads around metro Detroit.

What I've noticed in the past year is how many new Honda passenger cars there on the road around here. Honda and Hyundai seem to be the go to as sedan replacements for Ford/FCA/GM that have gone out of production. 

9 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Its actually one of the most reliable vehicles there is, it is almost always on the vehicles that make over 200K miles, they also have insane resale value.  They seem to be very market specific, I notice a good amount in the Midwest, Canada, Florida as well as AZ, NV, CA, but few on the south, east coast, and Pacific northwest.  There's actually a fair amount on the roads around metro Detroit.

What I've noticed in the past year is how many new Honda passenger cars there on the road around here. Honda and Hyundai seem to be the go to as sedan replacements for Ford/FCA/GM that have gone out of production. 

it is a damn shame the domestic manufacturers didn’t maintain at least one sedan.  I see plenty of new foreign sedans on the road by me everyday, so clearly there is still a market for them.  

7 hours ago, tbone said:

it is a damn shame the domestic manufacturers didn’t maintain at least one sedan.  I see plenty of new foreign sedans on the road by me everyday, so clearly there is still a market for them.  

Only GM has a few. Most are Cadillac, but the Malibu still exists, and the Sonic for now. FCA will have the Charger, but time will run out for the Chrysler 300.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

You can kind of see why Ford went with an upright C-pillar on Maverick. The rear door on Santa Cruz looks really small where it tappers at the top of the C-pillar. That will make getting in and out of the back seat more of a chore. And people with young kids still in car seats will really appreciate the near vertical rear door. 

Also, we know Ford has 4 feet bed which is somewhat useful. I'm just eyeballing it but Santa Cruz has what appears to be a 3 feet bed. Take out your rulers and magnifying glass... ?

Assuming both truck has 18" wheels, add 3" of rubber on either side, you get 24" or 2 feet across for the rear tire. Maverick's bed is almost exactly 2 tires long for 48". Santa Cruz's bed is about 1.5 tires long or 36". The difference appears to be about 6" in wheelbase and 6" in rear overhang.

Ford-Maverick-unclad-3-1024x575.jpg

2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-teaser.jpg

Edited by bzcat

16 minutes ago, bzcat said:

You can kind of see why Ford went with an upright C-pillar on Maverick. The rear door on Santa Cruz looks really small where it tappers at the top of the C-pillar. That will make getting in and out of the back seat more of a chore. And people with young kids still in car seats will really appreciate the near vertical rear door. 

Also, we know Ford has 4 feet bed which is somewhat useful. I'm just eyeballing it but Santa Cruz has what appears to be a 3 feet bed. Take out your rulers and magnifying glass... ?

Assuming both truck has 18" wheels, add 3" of rubber on either side, you get 24" or 2 feet across for the rear tire. Maverick's bed is almost exactly 2 tires long for 48". Santa Cruz's bed is about 1.5 tires long or 36". The difference appears to be about 6" in wheelbase and 6" in rear overhang.

Ford-Maverick-unclad-3-1024x575.jpg

2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-teaser.jpg

Hyundai definitely went the more Subaru Baja route style wise, while Ford went more traditional truck.

With how well (or rather poorly) the Subaru did previously, I'd lean more toward Ford having the right approach.  But obviously market preferences have changed since the Baja, and we haven't really seen another attempt at this type of vehicle that I can think of.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Hyundai definitely went the more Subaru Baja route style wise, while Ford went more traditional truck.

With how well (or rather poorly) the Subaru did previously, I'd lean more toward Ford having the right approach.  But obviously market preferences have changed since the Baja, and we haven't really seen another attempt at this type of vehicle that I can think of.

Yep, I agree. I actually prefer the front of the Hyundai but I just can’t do the slanted rear cab.

Since many pickups are bought as "lifestyle vehicles" and many haul nothing but air in the bed-I suspect it's the right time for Hyundai's Santa Cruz.  And it looks like Hyundai is going to market it as such. I'm calling the design a "winner" (remember I called the new Escape a fail-and was right).  However, As mentioned it's really hard to know how it will sell-since it is basically a new segment. The Ridgeline is marketed as a truck. The Maverick looks very much like a truck-and truth be told I like the looks of the redesigned Frontier better.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Yep, I agree. I actually prefer the front of the Hyundai but I just can’t do the slanted rear cab.

They lose me on the front with what appears to be an extra set of headlamps where the fog lights would be.  I don’t care for that styling.  Nevertheless, it will probably sell well as it is decent looking, and Hyundai competes heavily on price.  

On 3/31/2021 at 8:19 PM, rmc523 said:

Each made the correct choice for their respective companies. Average Ford customers probably wouldn't accept a car like truck, and average Hyundai customers probably wouldn't really like a Ford like approach.

• Like 3