Hyundai Santa Cruz Truck body leaked

T-dubz

45 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Each made the correct choice for their respective companies. Average Ford customers probably wouldn't accept a car like truck, and average Hyundai customers probably wouldn't really like a Ford like approach.

This is really hard for people to understand.   What works for one company may not work for another.  In addition to buyer preferences you have to factor in institutional knowledge, factory availability, etc. etc.

Bronco is a great case in point.  Ford has the history, they know how to build rugged body on frame trucks and suvs.   The Ranger platform was readily available as was the factory capacity.  No brainer.

Hyundai has none of that and it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Likewise, Ford would have trouble competing with a new traditional minivan for the same reason.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snooter said:

Hyundai "youthful", "sporty"...impressed with there williningness to push design dynamics and envelope

Ford "boring", "generic" - old gezzers preferred with ford still showing no balls to push design dynamics...

Such a tiring broken record. Get a new schtick.

• Like 7

https://www.motor1.com/news/501230/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-debut/

Reveal was today. Lots of pictures at the link. Here’s a few highlights:

-optional 2.5L turbo 275hp 310 lb ft

-5000 lb towing

-bed is 52 inches long

-hidden storage area in bed floor (like the ridgeline but smaller)

after watching the reveal, I think Hyundai has a winner here. Production vehicle looks better than I thought it would. It basically has the new Tucson’s interior which is pretty nice in my opinion. I see this taking away sales from Subaru.2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-under-bed-storag2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-rear-storage.jpg2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-rear-underseat-a2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-front-three-quar2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-nose-off-road.jp2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-profile.jpg2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-rear-off-road.jp

Edited by T-dubz
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Good luck with car seats in the back of that thing. What were they thinking with the shape of that rear door? 

Don't see how passengers can get in and out of back seats without hunching down and squirming in because of that rear door shape. The Maverick is a big winner in that department with the squared-ish cab portion. The Santa Cruz also has weird styling all around it that doesn't quite flow together. As if few different teams put their styling on it at once. Now if Ford can go ahead and officially announce and reveal the Maverick already...

31 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

There are some nice features for a life style truck. But that second row is useless with adults and even car seats. The optional power train and towing capacity is intriguing. Looking forwarding to see the specs between this and Maverick.

Don't see the demographics this is aimed towards having a car seat issue.  This is geared towards those with an active lifestyle-young couple ( no kids) or singles.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

Interesting specs but I think Ford will come in with the Maverick and "win" in sales and capability.

I don’t doubt that at all. Even though these vehicles are similar, I see them going after completely different markets. That’s why I think Subaru will be the main competition here.

I was really surprised by the engine specs of the Santa Fe. We already know that the maverick will be getting the optional 2.0 turbo which has 250hp and 277ft lb torque in the bronco sport. Maybe ford ups the output in the maverick but I don’t see that happening, as that would make one of their premium products (bronco sport) have a lesser engine.

I also like the blind spot cameras that Hyundai has on this and many other models. When your blinker is on, it shows you what’s in your blind spot right in the digital IP. I wish ford would implement something like this.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I also like the blind spot cameras that Hyundai has on this and many other models. When your blinker is on, it shows you what’s in your blind spot right in the digital IP. I wish ford would implement something like this.

That actually sounds pretty useful. 

No price info was released but since Santa Cruz is based on Santa Fe, it will probably mirror closely to the SUV's price. In another word, Hyundai is not position it necessary as Elantra replacement.

Maverick is (or was) supposed to be significantly cheaper than Bronco Sport or Escape  so we shall see how this shakes out.

35 minutes ago, bzcat said:

No price info was released but since Santa Cruz is based on Santa Fe, it will probably mirror closely to the SUV's price. In another word, Hyundai is not position it necessary as Elantra replacement.

Maverick is (or was) supposed to be significantly cheaper than Bronco Sport or Escape  so we shall see how this shakes out.

I think it’s based off of the Tuscon instead of Santa Fe right? The New tuscon starts at around $25k. I’d guess this is priced somewhere around there too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I don’t doubt that at all. Even though these vehicles are similar, I see them going after completely different markets. That’s why I think Subaru will be the main competition here.

I was really surprised by the engine specs of the Santa Fe. We already know that the maverick will be getting the optional 2.0 turbo which has 250hp and 277ft lb torque in the bronco sport. Maybe ford ups the output in the maverick but I don’t see that happening, as that would make one of their premium products (bronco sport) have a lesser engine.

I also like the blind spot cameras that Hyundai has on this and many other models. When your blinker is on, it shows you what’s in your blind spot right in the digital IP. I wish ford would implement something like this.

That's a great analysis. From what I understand, the Maverick should go after a different audience, especially if some of the rumors on lower price prove to be true (and the SC's pricing). I like Ford's approach better because it still has the Ranger for more power and capability right above Maverick as well.

Edited by Broncofan7

9 hours ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/501230/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-debut/

Reveal was today. Lots of pictures at the link. Here’s a few highlights:

-optional 2.5L turbo 275hp 310 lb ft

-5000 lb towing

-bed is 52 inches long

-hidden storage area in bed floor (like the ridgeline but smaller)

after watching the reveal, I think Hyundai has a winner here. Production vehicle looks better than I thought it would. It basically has the new Tucson’s interior which is pretty nice in my opinion. I see this taking away sales from Subaru.2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-under-bed-storag2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-rear-storage.jpg2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-rear-underseat-a2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-front-three-quar2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-nose-off-road.jp2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-profile.jpg2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-rear-off-road.jp

I don’t see it taking sales away from Subaru as much as continuities grow the active lifestyle market. Kudos to Hyundai bring first to segment with a strong product.  Hopefully Ford answers with a few tricks up their sleeves but this is the next big segment companies will be rushing to get into. It doesn’t need to be the most capable with towing etc but more attractive and fun to drive and not get crazy on pricing. 

Edited by kyle

19 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think it’s based off of the Tuscon instead of Santa Fe right? The New tuscon starts at around $25k. I’d guess this is priced somewhere around there too.

Yes, I mean Tucson not Santa Fe.

Maverick is rumored to start at $20k but I'm guessing similarly equipped, it maybe about the same price as Santa Cruz.