Hyundai Santa Cruz Truck body leaked

T-dubz

13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz

Good luck sitting back there once you get in too.

I watched about 5 reviews last night on this and no one mentioned any issues with the back seat. These are compact trucks and space is a minimum but that rear door configuration may look strange, but did not seem to impede any restrictions on getting in and out. 

• Like 2

This is more Baja than Ridgeline. Slightly more trucky than the Baja. Which was basically a wagon chopped with small bed. It will be interesting on how well this will sell. I could see it pulling from Suburu sales. It just has a weird Suburu vibe to me.

It appears the Maverick will be more Ridgeline than Baja. I can't wait to see the two compared and if any other manufacture decides to enter in the market.

41 minutes ago, kyle said:

I watched about 5 reviews last night on this and no one mentioned any issues with the back seat. These are compact trucks and space is a minimum but that rear door configuration may look strange, but did not seem to impede any restrictions on getting in and out. 

Agreed....buyers know going in what there lifestyle needs are......its just the ford sales team (and dearship owners)  here throwing-up more garbage to discredit a rather cute looking mini....an upscale base interior would nicely complement/distinguish this mini from other base models

Just saw a walk through on TFL truck.  Hyundai is GOING TO SELL A TON OF THESE.

And they will have a "Ford problem" on this model-not enough capacity.  There are plenty of owners that settle for a cute "ute" like the Tucson, Ford Escape,  etc, that are going to love this thing.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

So this will directly compete with the Maverick, I think that Ford has played the right card here......

Which card is the right card?  We’ve seen pics of the Maverick and know what it’s capability will be based on Escape/Bronco Sport/TC.  The Santa Cruz will likely tow more and offers more available power.  Also, it has a rear bumper that resembles something that was designed for truck duty.   The only cards I can think of at this point is price (Maverick should be less expensive) and Ford truck brand marketability.  Keep in mind, exterior design is subjective, but I think both the Mav and SC are attractive.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Which card is the right card?  We’ve seen pics of the Maverick and know what it’s capability will be based on Escape/Bronco Sport/TC.  The Santa Cruz will likely tow more and offers more available power.  Also, it has a rear bumper that resembles something that was designed for truck duty.   The only cards I can think of at this point is price (Maverick should be less expensive) and Ford truck brand marketability.  Keep in mind, exterior design is subjective, but I think both the Mav and SC are attractive.  

With a 2.5L turbo and 5000 lb towing it will be in Ranger territory not Maverick.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:11 PM, T-dubz said:

I don’t doubt that at all. Even though these vehicles are similar, I see them going after completely different markets. That’s why I think Subaru will be the main competition here.

I was really surprised by the engine specs of the Santa Fe. We already know that the maverick will be getting the optional 2.0 turbo which has 250hp and 277ft lb torque in the bronco sport. Maybe ford ups the output in the maverick but I don’t see that happening, as that would make one of their premium products (bronco sport) have a lesser engine.

I also like the blind spot cameras that Hyundai has on this and many other models. When your blinker is on, it shows you what’s in your blind spot right in the digital IP. I wish ford would implement something like this.

Traditional styled trucks seem to do better sales wise in the truck market.  The Santa Cruz will be more niche.  The 2.5 turbo fits the sporty character.  Question is how many active lifestylers there are willing to buy this and not a traditional small truck.  Part of the image is the traditional truck look.  I think Ford will do just fine with the escape, bronco sport, and Maverick trio vs the Santa Cruz and Tucson.

Ford could always use the 2.3L ecoboost from the Corsair if more power is necessary for the BS or Maverick.  Question is whether a nano v6 would fit.....

Edited by slemke

8 hours ago, kyle said:

I watched the TFL review. It looked like space was ok in the back once he got in, but it seemed like he had to contort his body a bit more than usual to get in.

10 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I watched the TFL review. It looked like space was ok in the back once he got in, but it seemed like he had to contort his body a bit more than usual to get in.

Have you seen the guy from TFL?  Him and his son are tall and the dad is a huge guy...maybe 6'5" if not more?  You are correct...space is "ok" and that is to be expected. I fully expect both this (assuming they don't price this out of the market-which is not in Hyundai's dna) and the Maverick to be successful in the marketplace and there is room for any one manufacturer to have both of these products since in many ways they are going to go after different segments. 

After watching the TFL video last night, I don't think the back seat is the issue that everyone is making it out to be.  Those guys are TALL, and the dad didn't seem to have any concerns about sitting or getting into the backseat.

The "trucklet" has some pretty cool features like the in-bed trunk and power inverter in the bed (something I wish was included on my Ranger).

Even more surprising was the capability (esp. for being based off the Tucson):

• It tows 5,000 lbs
  • The payload is over 1.7k lbs.

While the Maverick and the Santa Cruz may be courting different consumers, I can't say the Hyundai is not an attractive offering.  In the end, it may come down to brand preference and what design the buyer likes better. IMO, I think the Maverick will age better being more traditional, but that isn't necessarily important to many buyers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

After watching the TFL video last night, I don't think the back seat is the issue that everyone is making it out to be.  Those guys are TALL, and the dad didn't seem to have any concerns about sitting or getting into the backseat.

The "trucklet" has some pretty cool features like the in-bed trunk and power inverter in the bed (something I wish was included on my Ranger).

Even more surprising was the capability (esp. for being based off the Tucson):

• It tows 5,000 lbs
  • The payload is over 1.7k lbs.

While the Maverick and the Santa Cruz may be courting different consumers, I can't say the Hyundai is not an attractive offering.  In the end, it may come down to brand preference and what design the buyer likes better. IMO, I think the Maverick will age better being more traditional, but that isn't necessarily important to many buyers.

It will absolutely come down mostly to price and styling preference and/or brand preference.  I think towing, fuel economy and performance will be far less important as a deciding factor between the two.  But it will be important to get the buyer to upgrade once they’ve chosen a vehicle

• Like 1

Transit Connect has 2,000 lbs towing and 1,550 max payload.

I speculated in the Maverick thread before that because Maverick will likely weight less than Transit Connect, the payload should be higher and Ford is likely to offer higher towing rating because it is a pickup truck. 

Looks like Santa Cruz has laid down the numbers for Ford to match. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Transit Connect has 2,000 lbs towing and 1,550 max payload.

I speculated in the Maverick thread before that because Maverick will likely weight less than Transit Connect, the payload should be higher and Ford is likely to offer higher towing rating because it is a pickup truck. 

Looks like Santa Cruz has laid down the numbers for Ford to match. 

But if the top model is priced the same or higher than Ranger and Ranger has the same power, payload, more towing and is a little bigger then I think Ford has that covered.  If they don’t like Ford truck styling then they won’t buy a Maverick either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anthony said:

Those guys are TALL, and the dad didn't seem to have any concerns about sitting or getting into the backseat.

It might be fine for anyone older than age 8 but I wouldn't want to wrestle an angry toddler into a car seat with those doors. It's hard enough in a flex if they’re pissed off enough and those doors are gigantic. 

13 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It might be fine for anyone older than age 8 but I wouldn't want to wrestle an angry toddler into a car seat with those doors. It's hard enough in a flex if they’re pissed off enough and those doors are gigantic. 

So you qualified your initial comment by explaining YOUR situation.  While this vehicle may not work for you, in this size/class, the rear door entry and rear seat/leg room is comparable and a non issue (unless you wish to compare it to a vehicle in another class).  

13 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

So you qualified your initial comment by explaining YOUR situation.  While this vehicle may not work for you, in this size/class, the rear door entry and rear seat/leg room is comparable and a non issue (unless you wish to compare it to a vehicle in another class).  

Go back even further, my very original comment was good luck to anyone with car seats back there. 

I think at the end of the day I can see this being either a success or flop.  Non traditional truck look trucks haven’t seemed to do too well in the market, but who knows maybe this one with its (controversial) styling and lower Hyundai pricing may appeal to people more than past efforts have by other manufacturers.

I also think that this and Maverick can both be successful given they ultimately aim at different customers within the same segment - this at the “looks” crowd, Maverick at the more traditional one.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you have a toddler you are not the market for this vehicle. You wouldn't buy a Maverick as a family vehicle either.

• Like 2