Hyundai Santa Cruz Truck body leaked

T-dubz

32 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

If you have a toddler you are not the market for this vehicle. You wouldn't buy a Maverick as a family vehicle either.

Probably not but counterpoint: car buying isn't always a rational decision. If it was my mom would have never bought a Challenger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How is this, or a Maverick any less of a family vehicle than an SUV, especially with a tonneau cover?  We’re beyond the toddler years, but will probably consider a Maverick for my wife. She has a short commute and it’ll do practically everything we’d want a truck to do. I’d have an F150 myself in a heartbeat, but my commute sucks. (Hence the Mach-E for me instead). 

39 minutes ago, snooter said:

Sammich maker wants the mazda gone after viewing the hyundai truck-let.....interesting how the demographics might shake-out with sammich makers being majority of reason there is one in the driveway.....

Enough is enough.  You’re outta here for at least a month.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

How is this, or a Maverick any less of a family vehicle than an SUV, especially with a tonneau cover?  We’re beyond the toddler years, but will probably consider a Maverick for my wife. She has a short commute and it’ll do practically everything we’d want a truck to do. I’d have an F150 myself in a heartbeat, but my commute sucks. (Hence the Mach-E for me instead). 

Well....the reference is to small children. While either can do double duty-you are not going to buy one as a (small child) family hauler. There are CUV's that are better suited for that.  SUV's (I think we could be talking CUVs) Sorrento's? Santa Fe, Tucson, and Escapes?  Seems like the Explorers, Tellurides, and Palisades, vehicles that could be considered SUVs are not the competition here-they are much larger and not "single" or "active" couple vehicles.  I see many more couples (older/younger) in Outbacks (an active life style vehicle)  than I do with families. Regardless-I may add the opposite of what the Subaru commercials want you to think.

Edited by CKNSLS

10 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I see many more couples (older/younger) in Outbacks (an active life style vehicle)  than I do with families. Regardless-I may add the opposite of what the Subaru commercials want you to think.

My brother in law just got an Outback and is a new divorcee. I was actually impressed with amount of room it has inside of it and generally of the materials used in the interior.

The CVT transmission sucks though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twintornados said:

Well, that about covers it....?

Missed the middle ground.  It will either be wildly successful or a total flop, not a decent selling vehicle.  At least that’s how I took it.  It will either be a swing and a miss or a home run.  Not a solid single or double.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Hyundai USA Santa Cruz configurator is now up. 2022 Santa Cruz Debut | Sport Adventure Vehicle | Hyundai USA

That ain't much of a configurator....no pricing, limited packages.  I'm not sure why they even have that there....EDIT:  nevermind, it's just so you can reserve one, it's not an actual pricing configurator.

Edited by Anthony

• 1 month later...

Santa Cruz fuel economy numbers:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/07/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-fuel-economy/

There are two engine options available. A naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder is the base option, and it’s paired with an eight-speed automatic and front-wheel drive. This model achieves 21 mpg in the city, 26 mpg on the highway and 23 mpg combined. Following zero norms, the all-wheel-drive version improves on the front-driver's figures. Highway fuel economy ticks up to 27 mpg, while the city and combined figures carryover from the front-wheel-drive pickup. We’re not sure why the all-wheel-drive Santa Cruz gets better fuel economy, as it’s normally the opposite case with cars that offer two-wheel and all-wheel drive. Regardless, the difference is so little that the EPA estimates your annual fuel costs will not be affected by choosing one over the other.

If you want more power, you’ll need to step up to the optional 2.5-liter turbo option that’s exclusively paired with an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission and all-wheel drive. This model sees a drop in city mileage to 19 mpg. However, the highway fuel economy matches the naturally aspirated model’s 27 mpg. You lose 1 mpg combined versus the base truck, as the turbo model comes in at 22 mpg combined.

We still don’t know what the Ford Maverick’s fuel economy will be, but the suggestion of a hybrid option has us thinking it will surely beat the Santa Cruz. Versus midsize pickups, the Santa Cruz has the advantage (in most cases). The Honda Ridgeline is the only other unibody competitor, and it comes in at 18/24/21 mpg. That’s a slim but sizable win. Ford is nipping at the Santa Cruz’s heels with a two-wheel-drive Ranger rated at 21/26/23 mpg. Of course, the Ranger with its 2.3-liter four-cylinder and body-on-frame construction is much more capable than the Hyundai at getting work done, too. The Santa Cruz does beat the base four-cylinder versions of the Toyota Tacoma (20/23/21 mpg) and Chevrolet Colorado (19/25/22 mpg), though.

• 1 month later...

Santa Cruz pricing:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/13/hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-price/

Hyundai has released pricing information for the 2022 Santa Cruz, its first entry into America's super-lucrative pickup segment. Based on the Tucson, the trucklet is priced closer to Ford Ranger than to the new Ford Maverick.

Buyers have five trim levels to choose from called SE, SEL, SEL Activity, SEL Premium, and Limited, though the range is a little more complicated than that. The first three trims are powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that sends 190 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque to the front wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel-drive is optional. Stepping up to the SEL Premium or Limited trims brings a turbocharged version of the 2.5-liter whose output increases significantly to 275 and 310, respectively. It's all-wheel-drive only.

Pricing for a front-wheel-drive SE model starts at $25,175 including a $1,185 destination charge. Adding all-wheel-drive increases that figure by $1,500. Motorists who want the turbocharged engine will need to spend $36,865 for an SEL Premium, while the range-topping Limited is priced at $40,905, meaning it's approaching near-luxury-car territory.

But remember, the Santa Cruz won't be alone in the unibody pickup segment. Buyers seeking a truck that's built on car-like bones can also look at the Ford Maverick, which is about the same size as the Santa Cruz yet costs $21,490 including a $1,495 destination charge. The Maverick tops out in Lariat trim starting at $27,630 including destination.

Alternatively, there's the Honda Ridgeline, which is significantly bigger, more powerful, and correspondingly more expensive than either the Maverick or the Santa Cruz. It costs about $37,000.

Hyundai priced the Santa Cruz closer to the Ford Ranger, a more rugged body-on-frame model that carries a base price of $26,265 including a $1,195 destination charge, than to the Maverick, which is one of its closest rivals in terms of dimensions and capabilities. Time will tell whether this strategy will pay off. Built in Alabama, under the same roof as the Tucson it's related to, the Santa Cruz will reach showrooms across America in the coming weeks.

Santa Cruz SE is roughly the same equipment level wise as Maverick XLT so they are priced pretty close. The base price mentioned for Ranger is XL 2 door... not comparable to Santa Cruz. I wish the robots writing these articles are programed properly. Context matters. 

SEL is similarly close to Lariat in standard equipment and price.

Santa Cruz has range topping Limited with extra horsepower (310hp)... just waiting for Ford to respond with a Maverick King Ranch and ST.

Edited by bzcat

On price, efficiency, and size, it seems like the Maverick is the dream of every Internet curmudgeon who has ever complained about the size, weight, price, excess, etc. of the F150.  "If they'd just make a 2-door, 4-cyl, 1985 Ranger again I'd go buy it!"  Well, the Maverick is basically just that:  the opposite end of the spectrum from an F150.  I'll be interested to see the demographic of Maverick buyers.  However, I am having trouble seeing people cross-shopping the Santa Cruz and the Mav.  The Santa Cruz looks like it's trying to bat out of its league (highly, um, "expressive" styling, powerful available engines, and bigger capacity numbers) while the Mav looks like it is deliberately trying to stay in a narrow, pre-defined lane (standard hybrid, surprising price-beater, traditional styling).  If you are enamored with the S.C.'s exterior appearance, I can't see how you would  be interested in the very conventional styling of the Mav unless price and efficiency were your primary interests.   

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BoomerSooner said:

On price, efficiency, and size, it seems like the Maverick is the dream of every Internet curmudgeon who has ever complained about the size, weight, price, excess, etc. of the F150.  "If they'd just make a 2-door, 4-cyl, 1985 Ranger again I'd go buy it!"  Well, the Maverick is basically just that:  the opposite end of the spectrum from an F150.  I'll be interested to see the demographic of Maverick buyers.  However, I am having trouble seeing people cross-shopping the Santa Cruz and the Mav.  The Santa Cruz looks like it's trying to bat out of its league (highly, um, "expressive" styling, powerful available engines, and bigger capacity numbers) while the Mav looks like it is deliberately trying to stay in a narrow, pre-defined lane (standard hybrid, surprising price-beater, traditional styling).  If you are enamored with the S.C.'s exterior appearance, I can't see how you would  be interested in the very conventional styling of the Mav unless price and efficiency were your primary interests.   

Higher transaction prices seem to be made consciously by buyers in selecting nicer vehicles with big option packages. So your last sentence is very telling-will it be a young persons truck, small business gardener owner's choice, or compete against the Santa Cruz as a lifestyle vehicle? I find the "lifestyle" part hard to fathom.

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

Higher transaction prices seem to be made consciously by buyers in selecting nicer vehicles with big option packages. So your last sentence is very telling-will it be a young persons truck, small business gardener owner's choice, or compete against the Santa Cruz as a lifestyle vehicle? I find the "lifestyle" part hard to fathom.

Why not all 3?  The difference here is Ford engineered it to the lower price point so it should be profitable even at lower ATPs.

Ford knows trucks.  I think the hybrid will be the big draw.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why not all 3?  The difference here is Ford engineered it to the lower price point so it should be profitable even at lower ATPs.

Ford knows trucks.  I think the hybrid will be the big draw.

Why not all three? Well...it looks like a conventional truck-is that good or bad comparing it to the Santa Fe?  The Silverado-as polarizing as the design is (I don't like it-at all!) hasn't stopped it from selling well.  While some say Ford went "too conservative" on the new F-150. So-it will be interesting. Also you can make the argument the Maverick will outsell the Santa Cruz based on the massive dealer network vs. Hyundai whose network is much smaller.

28 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Why not all three? Well...it looks like a conventional truck-is that good or bad comparing it to the Santa Fe?  The Silverado-as polarizing as the design is (I don't like it-at all!) hasn't stopped it from selling well.  While some say Ford went "too conservative" on the new F-150. So-it will be interesting. Also you can make the argument the Maverick will outsell the Santa Cruz based on the massive dealer network vs. Hyundai whose network is much smaller.

Which sold better - the original Ranger or the Subaru brat?

It's crazy that anyone thinks these two trucks won't be cross shopped. They are literally the only two choices in the segment.

It's like saying Civic and Corolla don't compete because they are polar opposite in styling. Sure, they look totally different but no one would say they don't compete. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Which sold better - the original Ranger or the Subaru brat?

With all due respect-Most people didn't shop Subaru at all when the BRAT was around. With the Telluride and Palisades the Koreans are a household name.

Edited by CKNSLS

2 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

With all due respect-Most people didn't shop Subaru at all when the BRAT was around. With the Telluride and Palisades the Koreans are a household name.

I didn’t say Santa Cruz wouldn’t sell - it will.  But I think Maverick has a much wider appeal and will sell better and more importantly sell without big rebates.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

I didn’t say Santa Cruz wouldn’t sell - it will.  But I think Maverick has a much wider appeal and will sell better and more importantly sell without big rebates.

I think you are probably correct!