Autoextremist om Ford

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's very debatable... unfortunately I can't comment on some of the things I've been told but let's just say there are some out there that are buying the buzzwords. 

Also it’s ford take 99% of what you hear as BS, even the people putting it out don’t usually have the truth and framing it for their own cause. Hackett has pissed a lot of people off, he’s slashed budgets that needed to be and gone after travel, lavish expenses and other “perks” that people were basically stealing from the company. Ford is and has always been what click youre in, click one will bad mouth other clicks no matter how good they are, they never do anything correct. What’s always amazing to me is how fast they will also toss someone under a bus if it gets them ahead. 

19 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Also it’s ford take 99% of what you hear as BS, even the people putting it out don’t usually have the truth and framing it for their own cause. Hackett has pissed a lot of people off, he’s slashed budgets that needed to be and gone after travel, lavish expenses and other “perks” that people were basically stealing from the company. Ford is and has always been what click youre in, click one will bad mouth other clicks no matter how good they are, they never do anything correct. What’s always amazing to me is how fast they will also toss someone under a bus if it gets them ahead. 

Yeah, I'm not referring to any of that.... 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's very debatable... unfortunately I can't comment on some of the things I've been told but let's just say there are some out there that are buying the buzzwords. 

My pet hate is white space vehicle, that screams I don't know and the longer you keep that in place

the more outsiders think that Ford doesn't know what it's doing.

All of Jim Hackett's future plans have big financial commitments to things that may not have big ROI,

he's burned through a lot of cash with very little to show and in contrast, GM has about twenty new BEVs

in the pipeline. Mustang Mach E is a reimagined vehicle pushed to the forefront but I really wonder about

it's long term depth of sales. Also, folks putting a lot more faith in new Mexican products than they deserve,

there's a reason why Ford still hasn't shown any details on Hermosillo's new products, it will put new meaning

to a lack of value with Ford's entry level products.

5 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

My pet hate is white space vehicle, that screams I don't know and the longer you keep that in place

the more outsiders think that Ford doesn't know what it's doing.

All of Jim Hackett's future plans have big financial commitments to things that may not have big ROI,

he's burned through a lot of cash with very little to show and in contrast, GM has about twenty new BEVs

in the pipeline. Mustang Mach E is a reimagined vehicle pushed to the forefront but I really wonder about

it's long term depth of sales. Also, folks putting a lot more faith in new Mexican products than they deserve,

there's a reason why Ford still hasn't shown any details on Hermosillo's new products, it will put new meaning

to a lack of value with Ford's entry level products.

As far as the white space thing is concerned, I'm with you. The fact that the standard answer about that is still 'coming soon' is infuriating. 

As far as showing the Hermosillo products (specifically Bronco Sport), that was supposed to have happened last month but this stupid virus squashed that. 

Maybe Mr. Hackett needs to be taken for ride in a Ford GT with a professional race car driver at the wheel going full bore over a course with lots of elevation and tight corners. See if that puts a smile on his face. I have my doubts. Mulally wasn't a car guy, but he sure knew how to motivate, sell, and market with that smile and enthusiasm for the product. He was all over the airwaves and had charisma. I understand times have changed, but Ford needs a leader that is inspiring and loves cars. Hopefully Farley is that guy since he seems to be next in line. 

5 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Maybe Mr. Hackett needs to be taken for ride in a Ford GT with a professional race car driver at the wheel going full bore over a course with lots of elevation and tight corners. See if that puts a smile on his face. I have my doubts. Mulally wasn't a car guy, but he sure knew how to motivate, sell, and market with that smile and enthusiasm for the product. He was all over the airwaves and had charisma. I understand times have changed, but Ford needs a leader that is inspiring and loves cars. Hopefully Farley is that guy since he seems to be next in line. 

It's amazing how Hackett as a CEO can get a pass for being a dreadful communicator.

It's clear to me that Hackett is carrying out the plans and objectives of Bill Ford who couldn't run a hot dog stand,

for what Ford is spending on electrification, mobility and connectivity, they are developing rather meager results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

It's amazing how Hackett as a CEO can get a pass for being a dreadful communicator.

It's clear to me that Hackett is carrying out the plans and objectives of Bill Ford who couldn't run a hot dog stand,

for what Ford is spending on electrification, mobility and connectivity, they are developing rather meager results.

Agreed.....

20 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, he just doesn't buy the whole BEV circus, believes the public desire for them is over hyped.

PDL does have a bit of a grudge towards Tesla. He's peeved that a Silicon Valley startup got the modern EV ball rolling instead of an established automaker. And that Silicon Valley is getting the "credit" despite all the "auto industry veterans" at Tesla. Also, PDL is a fuel cell guy. About 15 years ago, he tried to float a Hydrogen Racing League and got no takers. Now after Tesla has come around, most automakers have put fuel cells on the back burner or eliminated FC research entirely.

43 minutes ago, AGR said:

PDL does have a bit of a grudge towards Tesla. He's peeved that a Silicon Valley startup got the modern EV ball rolling instead of an established automaker. And that Silicon Valley is getting the "credit" despite all the "auto industry veterans" at Tesla. Also, PDL is a fuel cell guy. About 15 years ago, he tried to float a Hydrogen Racing League and got no takers. Now after Tesla has come around, most automakers have put fuel cells on the back burner or eliminated FC research entirely.

Perception is everything, I think GM tried and failed a couple of times with BEV, so maybe stigma of giving upntoo easily.

You're right on Tesla eng spearheading BEVs but I thought silicon valley was pushing AVs hard to keep everyone eyes down..

Fuel cells have their own efficiency problems, they need new mediums materials to make them more cost effective.

All those technologies require significant investment, all have their place but the future isn't set for each

there's still too many gaps and questions with all of them.

17 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

The thing I don't understand is most of these so called analysts are pretty much saying only Ford is in trouble with all of this? Isn't this also going to raise hell with every other automaker? If not how are they escaping the damage?

They write off Ford because Ford can't effectively communicate what is actually doing or

how it's plans will bring future profits, they don't see the sizzle or buy what little Ford has said.

Most times they hear from Ford, it's damage control, their latest screw up that cost billions and

how they need to spend $11 billion more because their Euro plans were just so off course.

Not that I totally agree but Ford management is not out in front of this, they're reactive not proactive

Edited by jpd80

The biggest issue facing the Auto industry (outside of COVID-19 situation) is that there's been a general lack of what is exactly coming next and how to prepare for it. 

BEVs are the most hyped up thing, but there is still serious issues with range and recharging issues that will continue to cause friction with buyers, short of governments trying to force them on to their populations, which might come to a screeching halt with everything happening now. 

ICE have more or less hit their ceilings, outside of going exotic routes with valveless drivetrains the like. 

Then add in buyers that can't afford your products (or at least ones you make a profit on) and there is alot of dread out there as to what to do "next"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The biggest issue facing the Auto industry (outside of COVID-19 situation) is that there's been a general lack of what is exactly coming next and how to prepare for it. 

BEVs are the most hyped up thing, but there is still serious issues with range and recharging issues that will continue to cause friction with buyers, short of governments trying to force them on to their populations, which might come to a screeching halt with everything happening now. 

ICE have more or less hit their ceilings, outside of going exotic routes with valveless drivetrains the like. 

Then add in buyers that can't afford your products (or at least ones you make a profit on) and there is alot of dread out there as to what to do "next"

Much lower fuel prices  will subdue consumer thirst for electrification in the next six months

but I see affordable hybrids as having a solid future when gas prices recover.

Truck sales will be key indicator to underlying market strength, mid sized utility sales the main

indicator of financing and leasing confidence, a bit later in the year, maybe a  stimulus package?

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Looks like Musk is so incensed by Alameda County's continued lock down

that he's now planning to move out of Freemont and set up head office

and manufacturing in either Nevada or Texas.........

Id say he has worse issues. Like having a kid with a woman half his age that looks like a devil-worshipper. 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, silvrsvt said:

I've mentioned this  before-are electronically activated valves that exotic?  think of the moving parts that are eliminated in terms of manufacturing cost, assembly cost, maintenance cost ,  as well as parasitic loss?

I look at history of diesels where literally  you had a mechanical injector and now you have injectors that vary the spray during the injection cycle!

The only reason I see ICE's as dead is the Silicon Valley crowd has convinced the likes of Bill Ford and Hackett that ANYTHING electric must be better.  Will a motor in each wheel be ultimately more efficient than conventional power trains?  For sure-but why not at a measured pace?  The road to the cliff is crowded with lemmings right now-give  them room?

4 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I've mentioned this  before-are electronically activated valves that exotic?  think of the moving parts that are eliminated in terms of manufacturing cost, assembly cost, maintenance cost ,  as well as parasitic loss?

I look at history of diesels where literally  you had a mechanical injector and now you have injectors that vary the spray during the injection cycle!

The only reason I see ICE's as dead is the Silicon Valley crowd has convinced the likes of Bill Ford and Hackett that ANYTHING electric must be better.  Will a motor in each wheel be ultimately more efficient than conventional power trains?  For sure-but why not at a measured pace?  The road to the cliff is crowded with lemmings right now-give  them room?

I think that you're getting confused with the difference between camless and valveless technology

but most would understand your desire to see continued development of the gasoline ICE but, if we

look at hybrids and PHEVs, they take a lot of developmental load off the ICE. Energy conservation

is probably a much better solution for city and surface road driving with a lot of brake and acceleration.

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think that you're getting confused with the difference between camless and valveless technology

but most would understand your desire to see continued development of the gasoline ICE but, if we

look at hybrids and PHEVs, they take a lot of developmental load off the ICE. Energy conservation

is probably a much better solution for city and surface road driving with a lot of brake and acceleration.

Well I'm thinking  a "valve" as we know it will exist to admit air/fuel -but it will not be activated by a camshaft and or pushrods, lifters etc-just a crazy thought.

5 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well I'm thinking  a "valve" as we know it will exist to admit air/fuel -but it will not be activated by a camshaft and or pushrods, lifters etc-just a crazy thought.

In a word, expensive.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

As for Musk, read the article in yesterday's WSJ.  He is selling all his houses and told the Journal.."I'm trying to make my life as simple as possible right now, so will only keep things that have sentimental value".   A genius for sure but.........

Hmm wonder how much is going into his wife’s name.....

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2020 at 10:19 AM, grbeck said:

As for DeLorenzo - he can be entertaining, and his rants have  been 100-percent accurate at times.

Autoextremist's latest rant from August 17, 2021 is one of those few times when it is 100 percent accurate. Looks like he calmed down this week. In the rant, Autoextremist talks about the automotive industry as a whole in handling the chip shortage, NHTSA's investigation of Tesla's Autopilot feature, "sound and fury" from a Dodge Charger Hellcat, and Ford's Bronco launch fiasco among other topics. Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high-electron truth...

Excerpts from Autoextremist's comments about Ford Bronco launch. His phrase "unmitigated disaster of stupefying proportions" describes things perfectly.

What’s going on with the botched launch of the Bronco is rewriting the history books for serial automotive incompetence. What exactly is the problem with the hardtop roofs? According to Ford PR minions, the molded-in color roofs can have an “unsatisfactory appearance when exposed to extreme weather or humidity.” Or basically, when exposed to standard, day-in, day-out use. To say that this is simply unacceptable for a contemporary automobile manufacturer in today’s cutthroat competitive environment is being kind. This is an unmitigated disaster of stupefying proportions. After promising that the botched launch of the Explorer would never be repeated, here Ford is at it again with an even higher profile screwup.

• Like 1