Door Keypad Question

On the door keypad, I don't seem to have a problem unlocking the aviator from the keypad but it won't let me relook the door using the lock button on the keypad, I have to open the door and hit lock. Does anyone know of a way to lock it without opening the door? 

4 hours ago, RobAlatte said:

I found the answer, its just like my truck, if you hold down the last two numbers on the keypad it will lock - its just weird that the lock symbol doesn't work when pressed using the keypad. The lock symbol only seems to work with the key or the phone as key

As long as you have the keyfob or PAAK enabled phone on you or within 3ft you should be able to lock the vehicle by pressing the lock icon on the exterior of the driver door (just below the numerical keypad) or by pressing the same icon on the exterior of the passenger door.  However, I've noticed on my Aviator it is very finicky and does not work all the time, you have to very carefully press it with the center of your finger and hold it there for 1-2 sec.  You will see a small red dot light up to confirm it recognizes you pressing your finger on it and then the icon will change from unlocked to locked and lock the vehicle.

I find no matter how carefully or aggressively you press/stab the "lock icon" only works about 60-70% time.  I often have to use the 7-8 & 9-0 keys to lock it instead of using the icon which fortunately always work.  

Edited by rampagex7

I found the answer, its just like my truck, if you hold down the last two numbers on the keypad it will lock - its just weird that the lock symbol doesn't work when pressed using the keypad. The lock symbol only seems to work with the key or the phone as key. Exactly right. Always work when key is on me or PAK on me, but if im just using the keppad, I have to press the 7-8 and 9-0 numbers to lock.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:11 PM, ROCKO1998 said:

I had the same problem with the icon not wanting to lock the doors. The dealer replaced the panel and it worked great for a bit, but now it is back the way it was 

Mine does the same thing..  

Wow, mine works fine and I actually use it a lot since you can't lock it by touching the door handle.   I miss my old audi's ability to lock the car by touching the door handle, because with the keypad you have to hit the spot dead on.   My wife's minivan has the same feature just touch the door handle and it will lock.  You don't have to be so precise like you do with this keypad.  

• 1 year later...

The door keypad on the driver's side is annoyingly inconsistent in terms of locking it.  Sometimes it works the first time, other times repeated jabbing works, but most of the time it just doesn't work at all.  HOWEVER, the passenger side works each and every time, but who wants to walk around the car to lock it!  

When presenting the problem to the dealership, they said they could find nothing wrong.  

Thank you to those who presented a workaround on this forum.  However, we shouldn't have to press two numbers together and then the lock for it to work on this high-end vehicle!?