2020 Escape sales

Anyone else notice an increase in Escape sales in their area? I've been out a few times and seems like can't swing a dead cat without seeing one now...even with the quarantine going on. 

Also I'm assuming the Escape has been approved for fleet sales...I saw two of them parked in front of the public works building in my town with temp tags. 

14 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Anyone else notice an increase in Escape sales in their area? I've been out a few times and seems like can't swing a dead cat without seeing one now...even with the quarantine going on.

In the article about pickup truck sales rebounding the dealer said they were getting dangerously low on Explorer and Escape inventory.   You know - those two overpriced disasters that nobody wants to buy.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Anyone else notice an increase in Escape sales in their area?

The Autonation Ford dealerships in the DFW Metroplex have 116 new 2020 Escapes available for sale as of today. For comparison, the same dealerships have 85 Rangers, 90 Mustangs, 166 Fusions, 168 Expeditions, 324 Explorers, and 989 F-150s.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Also I'm assuming the Escape has been approved for fleet sales...I saw two of them parked in front of the public works building in my town with temp tags. 

I think you should bury the dead cat and look. It will get smelly soon. But yes, they are starting to become more common.

In the short term low inventory levels will actually be a boon to Ford and the other automakers as they restart production to re-fill the sales channels. The real question is what happens once inventory is filled back up and the economy is still suffering from the whole covid deal. Will the Escape be attractive in tough times as a sensible purchase or is the focus on high ATPs going to drive customers to other models that offer more for the money? People are going to be looking for value coming out of this. We’ll see if it offers enough for the money as people get tighter with their pocketbooks.

I talked to my dealer friend yesterday, and he told me the Escapes and Explorers are selling. He is actively hitting up other dealers in an attempt to gain inventory during this time.  He had actually just purchased five of each yesterday from another dealer. Inventory is becoming an issue.  

He did say that Expedition and Ranger are not currently selling well with the current incentives in place.  

Just think of how many they would sell if they fixed that face???. I still haven’t seen one on the road, but I’m not surprised about any vehicle selling right now with all the incentives going on and the free money the government just handed out. 

My local dealer has 32 in stock right now which seems to be more then what they normally stock of models not named f150. I checked cargurus.com and there are 230 in my area. Of those, all but 2 have been on dealer lots for 30 days or more. 197 have been on lots for 50 days or more, 136 have been on lots 100 days or more, with the oldest being 262 days. breakdown by trim is as follows:

s - 20

se - 127

sel- 80

titanium - 3

Car gurus counts the hybrid as a different model so it’s not included in the numbers above. There are 16 hybrids available in my area. 11 of those have been on lots 50 days or more. 8 have been on lots for 80 days or more.

Maybe this shows they are selling fast, maybe this shows that they are selling slow. Honestly I have no idea what the average time a car sits on a dealer lot is so I can’t make any judgement on sales myself, just thought I’d throw out some data.

On 5/8/2020 at 1:13 PM, rperez817 said:

The Autonation Ford dealerships in the DFW Metroplex have 116 new 2020 Escapes available for sale as of today. For comparison, the same dealerships have 85 Rangers, 90 Mustangs, 166 Fusions, 168 Expeditions, 324 Explorers, and 989 F-150s.

Does Ford breakout fleet sales anymore for the Explorer and Escape? I don't know if this is true or not-but I read somewhere that Ford no longer breaks out the Police version from regular Explorers anymore.

54 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Does Ford breakout fleet sales anymore for the Explorer and Escape? I don't know if this is true or not-but I read somewhere that Ford no longer breaks out the Police version from regular Explorers anymore.

Ford doesn't share a lot of info anymore, a lot of the fleet break out is only available to folks who subscribe to expensive data bases.

Daily retail fleets were in the news lately for cancelling vehicle orders with GM, Hyundai and others. I don't think that Ford has

delivered all that many 2020 police interceptors,  cv-19 allows dealers to sell modest amounts of vehicles but you can bet that

finding vehicles that match current inquires is getting harder, people see decent inventory numbers  and assume all is well.

Edited by jpd80

When is a vehicle counted in a dealers inventory?  My guy said they have a bunch of vehicles that have been built, but unable to get them from the plants to the dealership because of transportation limitations related to the Wuhan virus. 

Edited by tbone

2 hours ago, tbone said:

When is a vehicle counted in a dealers inventory?  My guy said they have a bunch of vehicles that have been built, but unable to get them from the plants to the dealership because of transportation limitations related to the Wuhan virus. 

The vehicles that people are counting are the ones advertised and I’d take that available at the dealer, the in transit stock is not normally on dealer websites until after arrival 

Edited by jpd80

53 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The vehicles that people are counting are the ones advertised and I’d take that available at the dealer, the in transit stock is not normally on dealer websites until after arrival 

In transit vehicles are usually listed on dealer websites.  Most of the dealer sites will identify them as in transit.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

In transit vehicles are usually listed on dealer websites.  Most of the dealer sites will identify them as in transit.  

Ok gotcha but I guess the point is that the in transit stock has definitely left Ford’s holding yard which can be a real pain when vehicles are locked in by lots of other vehicles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ok gotcha but I guess the point is that the in transit stock has definitely left Ford’s holding yard which can be a real pain when vehicles are locked in by lots of other vehicles.

Ford's default setting for the Ford hosted Dealer websites is to include "In Transit" vehicles in a Dealer's online inventory with those units being identified as such. Dealers do have the ability to have their online inventory filtered to show only in stock units so that the "In Transit" vehicles are excluded until their status changes to being in stock. 

With the plants being closed for so long now, the supply of vehicles in transit has been or is nearly exhausted at this point. Normally, when the plants are down the inventory at the plants sits unless its been released and loaded on a rail car. Dealers have the ability to pick up vehicles at the final rail ramp destinations but cannot pick up vehicles at the plant except for extreme exceptions as occurred about a year ago with full size Transit inventory.