Elon having a meltdown over Fremont plant shutdown

blwnsmoke

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-says-tesla-immediately-173400044.html

After a week of decrying coronavirus shelter-in-place orders that have left Tesla's main factory shuttered and unable to produce vehicles, Elon Musk says the company may move its factory out of the state.

"Tesla is filing a lawsuit against Alameda County immediately," the chief executive said on Twitter Saturday morning. "The unelected & ignorant 'Interim Health Officer' of Alameda is acting contrary to the Governor, the President, our Constitutional freedoms & just plain common sense!"

That was followed up with a threat to move Tesla's headquarters outside the state.

"Frankly, this is the final straw," he replied. "Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependent on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA."

Translation to Elon's latest rant:  He's losing boatloads of money and desperately needs his plant operating again, and soon.  His China plant is currently shut down too.  Expect a very dismal second quarter earnings report.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

His China plant is currently shut down too

Yes sir, Gigafactory Shanghai was shut down this past week. Bloomberg says its due to "component shortage". Don't know when operations will resume, though it may be as soon as next week.

3 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

All of them?

Yeah, right.  People are going to pick up their families and leave the San Fransisco area to live in someplace in Texas or Nevada.  Nissan tried the same thing several years back.  How did that work out for them?

4 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Yeah, right.  People are going to pick up their families and leave the San Fransisco area to live in someplace in Texas or Nevada.  Nissan tried the same thing several years back.  How did that work out for them?

Tesla is not Nissan.  

4 hours ago, mackinaw said:

People are going to pick up their families and leave the San Fransisco area to live in someplace in Texas or Nevada.  

Yes sir. Thousands of Californians from that area have done so. Texas is the #1 state for domestic in-migration in the U.S. Also, Texas is the #1 most popular destination and Nevada the #3 most popular for Californians who move to another state.

Can't speak for Nevada, but the people who leave San Francisco area and come to Texas will get a lot more home for their money. And everything else that makes Texas the best place for business.

To the Tesla folks heading to Texas, welcome y'all! 

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 4

I guess you don't have a family. 

Sell your home?  Take your kids out of school?  Make your spouse quit her/his job?  Leave the very desirable San Fransisco area?  Just so you can follow Elon to Nevada or Texas?  Really?  You would do this?  

6 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Sell your home?  Take your kids out of school?  Make your spouse quit her/his job?  Leave the very desirable San Fransisco area?  Just so you can follow Elon to Nevada or Texas?  Really?  You would do this?  

Calm down dude.  Folks relocate for better opportunities all the time.  My family did it twice in the span of 3 years.  Did I ever think it would happen?   Not really.  But we made decisions based on positioning ourselves for current and future personal and financial success (children included).  If you look at what Nissan did 15 years ago, 40% of the executives and staff decided to relocate to the new headquarters.  If Tesla moves out of Cali, there are plenty of great candidates to replace those who choose not to relocate.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Calm down dude.  Folks relocate for better opportunities all the time.  My family did it twice in the span of 3 years.  Did I ever think it would happen?   Not really.  But we made decisions based on positioning ourselves for current and future personal and financial success (children included).  If you look at what Nissan did 15 years ago, 40% of the executives and staff decided to relocate to the new headquarters.  If Tesla moves out of Cali, there are plenty of great candidates to replace those who choose not to relocate.  

As it stands right now I would GLADLY move out of Michigan for pretty much anywhere else except for a few states with out of control governors (NY, PA, IL, and a few more). The only things stopping me is my family (specifically  my in-laws) and my job. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mackinaw said:

People have been moving for work for hundreds of years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Im going to put myself into that place right now using my current circumstances:

Sell my home? Absolutely, we've outgrown our current house and want somewhere more remote

take kids out of school: not relevant to me, kids are too young yet but even if they were of age we plan on homeschooling anyway

quit job(s): my wife doesn't work and I wouldn't have a problem with looking for a new job if it came down to it. 

leave desirable San Francisco area: Gladly. I don't want to live someplace where shitting on public streets is fine with local officials. nothing desirable about that. 

Move to Texas: not my first choice, the dry air would be hell for me. Maybe if it was Corpus Christi or somewhere on the gulf coast. 

So yes, personally I would do any/all of that. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Im going to put myself into that place right now using my current circumstances:

Sell my home? Absolutely, we've outgrown our current house and want somewhere more remote

take kids out of school: not relevant to me, kids are too young yet but even if they were of age we plan on homeschooling anyway

quit job(s): my wife doesn't work and I wouldn't have a problem with looking for a new job if it came down to it. 

leave desirable San Francisco area: Gladly. I don't want to live someplace where shitting on public streets is fine with local officials. nothing desirable about that. 

Move to Texas: not my first choice, the dry air would be hell for me. Maybe if it was Corpus Christi or somewhere on the gulf coast. 

So yes, personally I would do any/all of that. 

Plus, middle class families can no longer afford to live a middle class lifestyle in SF or the south bay area of Fremont/Alameda County (where Tesla is headquartered). In recent years there has been a surge of people leaving the region for areas where they can get affordable housing and a lower cost of living, and where they can provide better opportunities for their families. Nevada and Texas are two of the top destinations for this exodus. A decision to move would be made even easier if it was your employer urging the move, guaranteeing a job at the new location. See for instance:  https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/09/not-the-golden-state-anymore-middle-and-low-income-people-leaving-california/

"U.S. Census Bureau numbers show that the middle- and lower-classes are leaving California at a higher rate than the wealthy. Many who have left in recent years say they simply couldn’t afford to stay...

"In the second quarter of 2019, the San Francisco Bay Area topped Los Angeles, Washington and Chicago when it came to people leaving major U.S. cities. It was second only to New York City. More than 28,190 people departed the Bay Area during those three months, close to double 2017’s rate, according to a regular migration report from real estate brokerage Redfin... A recent Edelman Trust Barometer survey found 53% of residents and 63% of millennials were considering leaving the country’s most populated state because of its high cost of living.

"Between 2010 and 2017, negative domestic migration to the state increased annually, according to the California Association of Realtors. In the same period, the median cost of a home in California doubled; in the Bay Area, it tripled. 'About 32% of households in California can afford to buy a median-priced home, which is around $600,000,' said Oscar Wei, the realtor association’s senior economist and director of research. 'Compared to 2012, we were at 52% (across the state). In San Francisco and San Mateo only 12 or 13% of residents can afford to buy a median-priced home there.' "

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 3

The Mayor of freemont herself also supported Elon in reopening the factory.  Return to work is optional and those who are worried or at-risk are allowed to stay home. 

It's an absolute win/win for everyone, I can't believe people are mad over this.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

Frankly I don't see a problem opening factories like that.  You should test all employees before allowing them back into the plant.   The plant isn't open to the public.   If an outbreak occurs then quarantine the affected folks and retest everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Frankly I don't see a problem opening factories like that.  You should test all employees before allowing them back into the plant.   The plant isn't open to the public.   If an outbreak occurs then quarantine the affected folks and retest everyone.

The problem with quarantining the affected folks is you could easily have an entire line worth of people in quarantine and essentially shutting down production anyway.