The Ford Ranger Somehow Scored a 123-Percent Sales Increase in Q1 2020

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I wonder what the inventory level is at right now. IIRC when we stopped production in March it was around 100 days of supply. 

Figure on about 40% sales and I think they have enough inventory to get through.

13 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

What is more important for the Ranger is global sales.

Even before it relaunched in the US and Canada, it was already the 2nd best selling small truck globally.

With the next generation coming in a couple years, hopefully it can start to nip on the Hilux's heels a bit. 

True but Toyota doesn't sell Hilux in North America and Tacoma sales are not combined with Hilux. When you factor in Hilux and Tacoma together, Toyota still leads this segment by a significant margin on worldwide basis.

But Ford has made up a lot of ground in the last 10 years or so, overtaking Isuzu, Nissan, and Mitsubishi, not to mention GM in the segment on worldwide basis. Topping Toyota will take a lot longer and Ford will probably need to make a big push to sell a lot more Ranger in China, Southeast Asia and Africa to pull it off. 

Edited by bzcat

25 minutes ago, bzcat said:

True but Toyota doesn't sell Hilux in North America and Tacoma sales are not combined with Hilux. When you factor in Hilux and Tacoma together, Toyota still leads this segment by a significant margin on worldwide basis.

But Ford has made up a lot of ground in the last 10 years or so, overtaking Isuzu, Nissan, and Mitsubishi, not to mention GM in the segment on worldwide basis. Topping Toyota will take a lot longer and Ford will probably need to make a big push to sell a lot more Ranger in China, Southeast Asia and Africa to pull it off. 

With North America leading the way on NG Ranger, it should be a massive improvement over the current one. If the manage to do that and keep pricing close to what it is now that sounds like a home run waiting to happen to me. 

26 minutes ago, bzcat said:

True, but as long as the Hilux and Tacoma are not the same vehicle, that is Toyota's fault.

After all, no one combines the VW Golf and Jetta sales anymore. They are different vehicles. 

The big untapped market for Ford pickup trucks is China. Toyota doesn't sell Hilux in China while Ford with a low effort entry is already the #2 seller of pickup trucks there behind Great Wall. If Ford can somehow find a way to make Ranger in China (in addition to JMC Yuhu), I think it can really make headways on catching Hilux. 

Pickup truck sales in China grew significantly last year and it is one of the only light duty vehicle segment in China where a local company is the leading player - meaning there is lots of headroom for growth if Ford can figure out how to grow the market with the right product and strategy. 

1. Great Wall (market share over 50%)

2. Jiangling Ford JMC 

3. Jiangling Isuzu

4. JAC

5. Dongfeng Nissan

6. Foton

7. ZX Auto

8. SAIC Maxxus

Edited by bzcat

On 5/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, bzcat said:

I celebrate the day Ford and the Ranger top Tacoma in the USA.  Other than that, the only thing we are rationalizing as success, is finishing second place to the Yankees every year, year after year after year. 

On 5/11/2020 at 6:20 PM, jpd80 said:

I noticed that last year, Colorado seemed to drop back from 14k highs to around 10k while Ranger was riding the up elevator......

was  that just a coincidence..............

Looks are subjective, but dang the Ranger optioned right is a real looker. Add in the superior drivetrain and it looks like more prospective pickup buyers are giving it a serious look. The interior may be a bit mediocre and dated, but the rest of it merits serious consideration. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:46 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I wonder what the inventory level is at right now. IIRC when we stopped production in March it was around 100 days of supply. 

My dealer still has 22 19's in inventory and 32 20's. No Lariats on the 20's.

12 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

My dealer says the incentives on the Ranger are not significant enough to drive sales right now.  He suggested the drop off from the $6k incentive was too dramatic.  

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Chinese Everest also gets 2.3 EB Engine so engineering is there in the SUV but there’s no chance of it in the US....

That must be a fairly recent change. 

Previously Everest was only available with 2.0 EB and 2.2 TDCI in China.

33 minutes ago, bzcat said:

That must be a fairly recent change. 

Previously Everest was only available with 2.0 EB and 2.2 TDCI in China.

Yep and weren't the Aussies ticked off about that 2.3 EB going into Everest,

Everywhere else getting the a strong petrol engine while we're stuck with diesel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 1:00 AM, MKX1960 said:

iSeeCars analysis indicates that 41.9% of new Ford Rangers at U.S. dealerships are 2019 model year as of May 2020. That's the second highest percentage of any pickup truck model. Only Nissan Titan, which had a late introduction of the 2020 model, had a higher percentage of 2019s. https://www.iseecars.com/new-car-deals-study