Lincoln Sync 3 and music on hard drive

I have a 2019 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

I believe it has Sync 3, but it doesn't seem to be the newest version that 2020 cars are showing and I don't know if it's upgradeable or not.

You guys can answer that question.

Anyhow, I want to transfer all my music from iTunes (which now sits on my iPhone) to a hard drive to keep in my vehicle.  I am going to use a software called EXPORT FOR ITUNES which should keep the iTunes architecture intact on the hard drive.

My question is, how does Sync 3 handle music off a hard drive?  Plugged into the USB will the Sync 3 recognize the drive and properly play the music from it?

In what format does the SSD need to be formatted?  I will be using a 500GB SSD.   Macs usually use APFS and I know that the drive will have to be formatted in a Windows-compatible format but it has to be recognized by a Mac for the transfer.  At worst, I can do it through Windows installed on a Mac.

Thanks in advance

I also use freeware called iTunes export to a usb stick and it works great.  You can access songs by artist, title or by playlists.  Hard drives should work if they’re powered from the usb but there may be a size limitation.  I believe they need to be formatted FAT32.

13 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

I believe it has Sync 3, but it doesn't seem to be the newest version that 2020 cars are showing and I don't know if it's upgradeable or not.

Anyhow, I want to transfer all my music from iTunes (which now sits on my iPhone) to a hard drive to keep in my vehicle.  I am going to use a software called EXPORT FOR ITUNES which should keep the iTunes architecture intact on the hard drive.

My question is, how does Sync 3 handle music off a hard drive?  Plugged into the USB will the Sync 3 recognize the drive and properly play the music from it?

In what format does the SSD need to be formatted?  I will be using a 500GB SSD.   Macs usually use APFS and I know that the drive will have to be formatted in a Windows-compatible format but it has to be recognized by a Mac for the transfer.  At worst, I can do it through Windows installed on a Mac.

Thanks in advance

NJRonbo—

From the Lincoln Owner part of the main Lincoln web site, you can check to see if there is a software update to your 2019 MKZ’s Sync system.  I’ve done that sort of thing, using a USB stick, for all of my more recent Lincoln vehicles.  Have you checked that out?

1984Poke

Edited by 1984Poke

7 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Thanks in advance

Hi NJRonbo. In addition to the good information you have received already: Why not transfer your iPhone music collection onto a mini USB mini-flash drive, instead of a hard drive? Smaller in physical size, more easily physically transferable etc. If your music is on your iPhone now, it can easily fit on a flash drive.

I have a 64GB mini-flash drive in my 2018 MKZ, and leave it plugged into the USB port, where the "ash tray" would be in an older car (under the HVAC/climate control buttons). The lid closes, it can't be seen, etc. You can use a larger capacity USB mini-flash drive if you need it.

Just another option. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

bbf2530 is offering good advice.  I’ve been using a mini-USB thumb drive onto which I’ve copied the music I want and then I leave that drive plugged into the USB port in my 2019 MKZ-h’s armrest compartment.  It works great.  (What need help with is naming and sorting the music....)

Edited by 1984Poke

On 5/12/2020 at 2:16 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi NJRonbo. In addition to the good information you have received already: Why not transfer your iPhone music collection onto a mini USB mini-flash drive, instead of a hard drive? Smaller in physical size, more easily physically transferable etc. If your music is on your iPhone now, it can easily fit on a flash drive.

I have a 64GB mini-flash drive in my 2018 MKZ, and leave it plugged into the USB port, where the "ash tray" would be in an older car (under the HVAC/climate control buttons). The lid closes, it can't be seen, etc. You can use a larger capacity USB mini-flash drive if you need it.

A 64GB is pretty large and will hold a LOT of music. I use an 8GB and it has over 1500 tunes on it and far from full.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:42 PM, 1984Poke said:

bbf2530 is offering good advice.  I’ve been using a mini-USB thumb drive onto which I’ve copied the music I want and then I leave that drive plugged into the USB port in my 2019 MKZ-h’s armrest compartment.  It works great.  (What need help with is naming and sorting the music....)

I spent hours cleaning up the metadata in my music files and it makes a big difference when trying to easily find an album, artist, or composer in Sync 3. In the past, I always just dug into the file system when playing music files.

This is the tool I used, once you get the hang of it it works well. 

2020-05-14.png

Guys, 

Thanks for all the replies.  Have a few thoughts and continuing to seek advice

On 5/12/2020 at 11:54 AM, jasonj80 said:

You can upgrade to the new UI and new maps but it isn't Ford supported. https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/update-ford-sync-3-2-2-3-0-to-version-3-4-all-years-3-4-19200/ 

Co-worker did it on his F-150 and daughters Escape and says it is more stable and faster than the old version.

This is AMAZING!  Had no idea I could upgrade my Sync 3 to the new UI that is being introduced to 2020 vehicles.  Certainly, I will look at doing that today and I thank you so very much for this link.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, bbf2530 said:

Here's the situation and I will be seeking further advice from tech-heads...

I have about 300GB of music on iPhone.   So, a USB stick is not an option.   I am going to buy a 500GB SSD so I have room for expansion.

Here's my tech problem...

I have a Mac, but if I need to, I can run Windows on it to accomplish what needs to be done.

I would think that the SSD has to be formatted in a Windows file format for the Lincoln to read it.  I think FAT32 is the file system Ford systems support.  Macs should be able to write to it but not certain.

I am not sure that I can transfer music from iTunes on my Mac to the SSD drive due to the incompatible formats.   I may be forced to Windows.

That is where I can really use the advice.   If I have to Windows to do this, I need a reliable program that will transfer the music keeping the iTunes architecture.

Edited by NJRonbo

4 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

I have about 300GB of music on iPhone.   So, a USB stick is not an option.   I am going to buy a 500GB SSD so I have room for expansion.

So let me get this straight.  You need somewhere to store the 300 gb of music on your Iphone that can be plugged into the USB port?

Dude - you already have it.  Plug in your iPhone and you’re all set.  It works just like a usb drive.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

So let me get this straight.  You need somewhere to store the 300 gb of music on your Iphone that can be plugged into the USB port?

Dude - you already have it.  Plug in your iPhone and you’re all set.  It works just like a usb drive.

No, perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I want to get the music OFF my iPhone.  I have been buying a very expensive 512GB iPhone just for my music.
I figured I could do much better offloading it on a 500GB SSD that costs under $100

So, I still need advice here.

12 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

No, perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I want to get the music OFF my iPhone.  I have been buying a very expensive 512GB iPhone just for my music.
I figured I could do much better offloading it on a 500GB SSD that costs under $100

So, I still need advice here.

HI NJRonbo. Well, this is not exactly what you are asking for, but just in case you can not find a "tech-head" to advise you on a way to use an an external hard drive: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-512GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B083ZS4HYD/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&qid=1589554052&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A10285020011&s=pc&sr=1-6

Of course, there are many other brands and models, but I got this with a quick Google search of "512GB mini flash drives": https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=uKy-XuO8HI7AytMPrt-u-AQ&q=512GB+mini+flash+drives&oq=512GB+mini+flash+drives&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDIFCAAQzQIyBQgAEM0CMggIABDNAhCLAzoECAAQR1CZOFiZOGDmRmgAcAF4AIABQogBQpIBATGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6uAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjj-Ia4j7bpAhUOoHIEHa6vC08Q4dUDCAs

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi again NJRonbo. Just a warning about "upgrading" to SYNC 3.3/3.4 (what version does your MKZh actually have?).

I have researched them and decided against it for my 2018 MKZ. The reasons? First, and foremost, these upgrades are not supported by Lincoln/Ford and will lead to warranty issues if you should have almost any SYNC/audio system/electronic issues and problems later (as jasonj80 briefly alluded to when saying it is "not supported"). Also, while some owners who have updated say there are no issues, others have had problems. And if you research it more, you will find that there is always some feature or another that no longer works properly, but an owner will feel it is "not a problem" because "I don't use it anyway".

But again, the major issue is the warranty ramifications on a new car. Lincoln/Ford can/will refuse warranty service on anything to do with or connected to the SYNC system (which is a lot), if they discover the modification. And you can count on them discovering it.

Not telling you what to do with your own vehicle, just making the information available. Again, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

1 minute ago, NJRonbo said:
Guys,

You have been great.

First of all, based on what bbf2530 suggested, I will not use any unauthorized software.  My car is a lease.  

I don't know the exact sync version.  I know it's version 3 that came in the 2019 vehicles.  However, I see the 2020 vehicles have a newer version that has a lot more options.

As far as the drive is concerned...

That 512GB stick would be perfect, but it gets really bad reviews -- especially since it is made of plastic.

Hi NJRonbo. Just as an FYI: I was not vouching for that particular Sandisk flash drive or any other brand. The links were simply showing you there are plenty of large capacity flash drives from all major brands which will fit your needs. That was why I also included the second, general "512GB flash drive" Google link.

The one I have plugged into my car for 2 years now, with no issues, happens to be a Samsung brand. It stays plugged into the car 24/7, unless I take it out for an hour or two for new music additions. Zero problems.

While I believe a flash drive will better fit your needs, be less obtrusive. less visible to thieves, take up less space in the console or wherever etc, I respect your right to choose what you want for your vehicle.

Let us know what you finally go with and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

bbf2530, you have been of tremendous help.  Thank You.

Went with the SanDisk Portable drive that I referenced above.

I take it that I have to format it in Fat32?   I will use the Mac software I have to copy it all over.

I will get back to you next week and let you know if it works and if I have any questions.

Thak you again

Edited by NJRonbo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

bbf2530, you have been of tremendous help.  Thank You.

Went with the SanDisk Portable drive that I referenced above.

I take it that I have to format it in Fat32?   I will use the Mac software I have to copy it all over.

I will get back to you next week and let you know if it works and if I have any questions.

Thak you again

The owner's manual should have this info.

I just wanted to follow-up on this thread and again thank all of you for the help.

I finally got my Sandisk 500GB drive. 

I formatted it in FAT32

I used a Mac software called EXPORT ITUNES.   Worked really well.  I think I had about 8,000 songs on the drive.  It indicated about 100 were DRM protected.  I have to work on getting new versions of those songs.

Anyhow, when all was said and done, the software did a great job copying everything over to the drive and preserving the playlists.

I plugged the drive into the USB port of my Lincoln.  It started indexing right away.   Looks like, in an early look, the playlists are preserved and can be accessed on the screen.

It's going to take some time for Lincoln to index all these songs.  At that point, I will come back and let you know if the artwork is showing up in the display.