New Aviators Still Problems

BigAl77

Last February, I took delivery of a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserve II with a Vin in the 20 thousands, and this thing is a nightmare to put it nicely.  IDK know how they are going to be able to repair everything that is wrong with it, and I could not get it back to the dealer for repair because just a few weeks after I took delivery of it the COVID19 shut down happened.  I am not happy with this many problems and want to give this car back to LFS as the other Aviator owners have done.  Because of the COVID19 crisis, I have had to drive this Aviator putting more miles on it. I am sure that it is going to make it harder to give back to the dealer or get them to accept it back.  I am just appalled this Vehicle has so many problems with it, and I have had newly Launched Lincolns in the past.  Because I didn't have that bad of an experience with my 2011 MKT, I leased after it launched I was bullish about getting the Aviator even though I heard it was having problems, BUT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.  My biggest gripe is when it SLAMs on the breaks when I am backing up into my driveway because I live on a busy street. I have had some scares, and one time it slammed on the breaks while reversing, and I thought I had hit something.

Here is the list of things wrong with the Vehicle, and I am taking it to the dealer next week for the first time because they were closed all of April.  I will keep this thread updated as to how things are going.

Below is a list of things wrong I have made for the dealer.

1. Slams on breaks when driving in reverse up my driveway and there is nothing in the way

2. Parking brake comes on at random while the vehicle is in drive

3. Folding mirrors open and close when I am driving down the road

4. Blown Speaker on the front passenger side door, sound system sounds muddy

5. False Alarms -  When my neighbor is cutting the lawn the anti-theft alarm goes off

6. Vehicle raises and lowers at random (even when the key fob is not around)

7. When using the phone as key the vehicle will say "to restart vehicle please use keyfob" then does not re-start until I have a keyfob on me

8. When I lock the vehicle at night the interior lights stay on way too long

9. Cluster bounces, the radio reboots as well as dash when I am driving

10.(drivers side) I have to extend the right seat cushion extension because when it is folded all the way back there is a hard lump 

11. (outside of the vehicle) Chrome strips all have creases in them, they look like they have been taken off and put back on at the factory

13. Sometimes, the vehicle does not shift into reverse I have to turn it off then turn it back on

14. Perimeter lighting just turns on and off at random, again no keyfob on me

15. There is always a clicking noise coming from the vehicle when it is parked, it is always making a clicking noise

Would say all problems prior to march will still be there.    Was hoping by waiting they would be addressing some issues.   

Shut down apparently stopped all in the tracks.   So march problems are just going to be June problems.    Reading 

all the comments sure dont want a locator unit that has been sitting on a lot since the first of the  year.  If stick out

the order,   going to be interesting if find self trading sooner than later due to issues.     Its going to be a gamble

FWIW I’ve only put a thousand miles on my top-line (September 2019 build) Aviator I picked up in January (after a 6 month + 3 day wait!) and after I took the passenger seat apart myself to address a rattle, I am now hearing more interior squeaks and rattles from all over (Not the seat now FTW) which join all the other build quality wonkiness.  Could be worse, as others have experienced major electrical and mechanical Issues but I am seriously glad I took out only a 24 month lease this time.  Even though this thing was a bargain at only $90K compared to other similar vehicles in its class, I’m disappointed they just can’t seem to pull off a quality built vehicle.  

I’m not ragging on Chicago as I have an MKS with over 125,000 miles that has been excellent. But 3 previous Oakville MKXs have all had their annoyances. Oddly my old MKZ (Mexican built) was still going strong with 227,000 miles when I traded it for the S.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I may jump to GV80, X5 or GLE sooner than later.  Just disappointed. 

7 hours ago, BigAl77 said:

Last February, I took delivery of a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserve II with a Vin in the 20 thousands, and this thing is a nightmare to put it nicely.  IDK know how they are going to be able to repair everything that is wrong with it, and I could not get it back to the dealer for repair because just a few weeks after I took delivery of it the COVID19 shut down happened.  I am not happy with this many problems and want to give this car back to LFS as the other Aviator owners have done.  Because of the COVID19 crisis, I have had to drive this Aviator putting more miles on it. I am sure that it is going to make it harder to give back to the dealer or get them to accept it back.  I am just appalled this Vehicle has so many problems with it, and I have had newly Launched Lincolns in the past.  Because I didn't have that bad of an experience with my 2011 MKT, I leased after it launched I was bullish about getting the Aviator even though I heard it was having problems, BUT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.  My biggest gripe is when it SLAMs on the breaks when I am backing up into my driveway because I live on a busy street. I have had some scares, and one time it slammed on the breaks while reversing, and I thought I had hit something.

Here is the list of things wrong with the Vehicle, and I am taking it to the dealer next week for the first time because they were closed all of April.  I will keep this thread updated as to how things are going.

Below is a list of things wrong I have made for the dealer.

1. Slams on breaks when driving in reverse up my driveway and there is nothing in the way

2. Parking brake comes on at random while the vehicle is in drive

3. Folding mirrors open and close when I am driving down the road

4. Blown Speaker on the front passenger side door, sound system sounds muddy

5. False Alarms -  When my neighbor is cutting the lawn the anti-theft alarm goes off

6. Vehicle raises and lowers at random (even when the key fob is not around)

7. When using the phone as key the vehicle will say "to restart vehicle please use keyfob" then does not re-start until I have a keyfob on me

8. When I lock the vehicle at night the interior lights stay on way too long

9. Cluster bounces, the radio reboots as well as dash when I am driving

10.(drivers side) I have to extend the right seat cushion extension because when it is folded all the way back there is a hard lump 

11. (outside of the vehicle) Chrome strips all have creases in them, they look like they have been taken off and put back on at the factory

13. Sometimes, the vehicle does not shift into reverse I have to turn it off then turn it back on

14. Perimeter lighting just turns on and off at random, again no keyfob on me

15. There is always a clicking noise coming from the vehicle when it is parked, it is always making a clicking noise

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Research the “lemon law” for vehicles in your state, then contact an attorney if your vehicle qualifies.

Ford has admitted publicly and in SEC filings that they (and the UAW) did a miserable job of launching and building the 2020 Ford Explorers and Lincoln Aviator.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Memorial Day, I thought that I would update my post and let you all know how I made out with the repairs on my 2020 Aviator.  Well I dropped it off at the dealer last week and they had it for all of two days and here is what I found out.  There is a software update for the vehicle slamming on the breaks in reverse, as well as the false alarms.  I have been driving it now for a few days, and so far, so good it feels like another vehicle.  Now the phone as a key issue was resolved by the software update for the false alarms because after the alarm goes off, it asks you to put a fob in the car for verification.  The sound system they refused to fix as well as the chrome pieces that have been removed and put back on the vehicle.  The blown speaker I fixed on my own by taking the door panels off and putting them back on the correct way, "Shhhhh, don't tell Ford that will void my warranty".  The lump in the driver's seat I have to live with they told me that was normal for the Aviator, I guess everyone that buys an aviator drives around with blown speakers and lump in their ass.  So far, so good, of course, keep in mind I work from home and do not drive a lot, but the second that car slams on the break-in reverse again, next time I am not going to be so lovely, that pisses me off to no extent as far as everything else I was told that there are no software updates for them so I would have to live with the build flaws for now.  

On 5/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, 1999 White C5 Coupe said:

Research the “lemon law” for vehicles in your state, then contact an attorney if your vehicle qualifies.

Ford has admitted publicly and in SEC filings that they (and the UAW) did a miserable job of launching and building the 2020 Ford Explorers and Lincoln Aviator.

I am willing to go that far if this thing SLAMS on the breaks in reverse on me again, had the dealer refused to acknowledge that issue like they did the other issues I reported, I would be feeding this thing back for Lincoln Financial Services piece by piece.  

On 5/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, Professor1234 said:

FWIW I’ve only put a thousand miles on my top-line (September 2019 build) Aviator I picked up in January (after a 6 month + 3 day wait!) and after I took the passenger seat apart myself to address a rattle, I am now hearing more interior squeaks and rattles from all over (Not the seat now FTW) which join all the other build quality wonkiness.  Could be worse, as others have experienced major electrical and mechanical Issues but I am seriously glad I took out only a 24 month lease this time.  Even though this thing was a bargain at only $90K compared to other similar vehicles in its class, I’m disappointed they just can’t seem to pull off a quality built vehicle.  

I’m not ragging on Chicago as I have an MKS with over 125,000 miles that has been excellent. But 3 previous Oakville MKXs have all had their annoyances. Oddly my old MKZ (Mexican built) was still going strong with 227,000 miles when I traded it for the S.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I may jump to GV80, X5 or GLE sooner than later.  Just disappointed. 

My last Lincoln was a 17 MKX reserve II, I had no problems with that vehicle, and I drove it for three years, of course when I leased that vehicle, Lincoln had been three years into building that model, so all the bugs were worked out by then.  I had a 2015 Edge Sport that came out of Oakville when it was brand spanking new, and that thing was just a huge mess, I had to call customer service on that car it was so bad.  The Edge never had any mechanical issue, but the bumper was hanging off it, and the dumb ass dealer sold it to me that way and offered to replace it and never did.  It had several other things wrong with it that I had a hell of a time getting the dealer to fix until I called Ford.  The best thing to do is call Ford customer service and get a ticket started. They will send a customer service rep from Ford to look at the issue because they know these service departments cut corners and just want to get the car out the door.  

On 5/15/2020 at 7:34 PM, texcen said:

Would say all problems prior to march will still be there.    Was hoping by waiting they would be addressing some issues.   

Shut down apparently stopped all in the tracks.   So march problems are just going to be June problems.    Reading 

all the comments sure dont want a locator unit that has been sitting on a lot since the first of the  year.  If stick out

the order,   going to be interesting if find self trading sooner than later due to issues.     Its going to be a gamble

I had to say it from personal experience; you have to wait till they are in the 2nd and 3rd model years to get the build quality we were told the vehicle would have.  I leased a Ford Edge Sport the first year it was changed over in 15, and it was a total mess.  The car I lease after that was a 2017 MKX; it was 2 model years into production and had no issues with it other than some service bulletins to address.  

Edited by BigAl77

Am in process of shopping around for 3 row mid size luxury for which am considering Aviator as 1 of the probable. Going through to this thread, am having my doubts. Should I even consider it buying or should I strike it off? If I consider in buying what specific areas should I check before making that decision.

Our Aviator delivered in February has been trouble and defect free.  Admittedly we aren't exact;y racking up the miles, but after 1,100 miles all the drive train, electronics, HVAC are fine.  Panel fit and finish are excellent.  Phone as a key works as advertised.   

I've had my Aviator GT since late January 2020 and am really happy with it.  Mine was a December 5, 2019 build and so far I've only put on about 3,500km (2,175mi).  Most of the initial issues I've experienced (PAAK was very flaky) were minor and are resolved by the dealer to my satisfaction.

With the multitude of problems, it sounds like BigAl's Aviator is definitely a lemon and I would certainly fight with LFS to take it back if you can. 

I will concede I have experienced the "slam on the brakes" while backing up only a couple of times but this is part of the Reverse Brake Assist system which is designed to avoid a collision with another vehicle or stationary object if detected by the proximity sensors in the bumper or CTA sensors, so it is a useful feature IMO.  It is a bit unsettling the first time it did it but now that I know about it's not so bad.  They should definitely retune the settings to make the automatic braking feel more smooth and less abrupt.  Perhaps the sensors on yours are programmed to sensitive or something?

On 5/26/2020 at 6:50 PM, rampagex7 said:

I will concede I have experienced the "slam on the brakes" while backing up only a couple of times but this is part of the Reverse Brake Assist system which is designed to avoid a collision with another vehicle or stationary object if detected by the proximity sensors in the bumper or CTA sensors, so it is a useful feature IMO.  It is a bit unsettling the first time it did it but now that I know about it's not so bad.  They should definitely retune the settings to make the automatic braking feel more smooth and less abrupt.  Perhaps the sensors on yours are programmed to sensitive or something?

I think the slam on the brakes is normal. I've read that forward emergency braking is very abrupt as well.

I've read that forward emergency braking is very abrupt as well.It pretty much steps in at the last moment to avoid a crash. What you are experiencing is likely just the way the systems works.

Edited by MKX1960

My escalade will do it,   what a jolt.   Usually the warning chimes get louder than wham it stops,   

LOL LOL can really catch you by surprise.    I my case its a bush,  i know its there,   its not going

to hurt the car,   caddy does not know this and it stops.    Guess it could come in handy if not

the bush i know about

I thought I would give an update to this post, so far my Aviator has not jammed on the breaks while in reverse, but I will be returning to the dealer next week.  Friday night, there was a false alarm after I was assured that the software update should have resolved that issue.