Volume Control Fault with Sync 3 and Apple I-Phone 7

I own a 2019 Nautilus with the upgraded Revel Audio system. I have experienced a couple of issues with the performance of the system. The sound is outstanding, I love it.

First issue when using my Sirius XM directly through the on board App the sound is "tinny" compared to when I stream it through my phone. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this? My dealer says there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. To be fair he sat in the vehicle with me and listened for a minute or two but I can hear a real difference. Its like the music is not getting the full signal. The FM signal is very strong and it rocks well just the Sirius XM that sounds this way. Any ideas?

The other issue that has just recently come up is I can no longer adjust the volume on the system when I plug in my iPhone. This was working fine until about a month ago. When the phone is not plugged in the volume control works normally. The volume control works on my phone normally when its not plugged in to the sync 3 system. The mute button still functions normally but I cannot adjust the volume using the steering wheel controls, the radio face controls or the volume controls on the side of the iPhone.  I have fully upgraded the OS on the iPhone. I have looked into the settings for hours I just cannot figure out why it stopped working. I notice when I plug the iPhone in the Mobile Apps icon goes blank and even if I turn it back on it just turns off when I plug the phone in?

My dealer has no idea what could cause this issue. From the dealer perspective if the volume controls are working without the phone connected then the fault must be with my phone not the vehicle?

If anyone else has had this issue or can suggest a fix that would be great.

The first issue is due to compression over the satellite transmission.  It is normal.  That's how they get so many channels on a fixed number of satellites.   Streaming over the internet does not have the same compression so it sounds better.

On the volume controls, try unpairing and repairing your phone.   If that doesn't work try a master reset on sync 3.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. 

I have unpaired the phone several times. Reset the phone, then paired it again to no avail. I have done a master reset on the entertainment system twice. No change. Dam I'm frustrated by this as it just doesn't make any sense. I wonder if there is an upgrade to the software for the infotainment system or something that I'm missing? Would that even make a difference?

I know my Iphone has the latest update on it.

Do you have a different iphone you can try?  Just to rule out some strange phone issue.  Showing that it does the same thing on two different phones would lend credence that it's the sync 3 system and not the phone.

The dealer should try reloading the APIM software - not because it needs an update but sometimes it can become corrupted.

Do you use Waze, or have it installed on your iPhone?  There's a known bug with Waze on iOS right now that messes with the volume control within CarPlay (only affects Prompt Volume, not Audio Volume).  The fix is already applied and should be out with the next Waze update.  I've been having the same persistent issue with my iPhone in my Escape, and I've temporarily switched to Apple Maps until the Waze update is pushed.

• Like 1

Again, thank you both for the reply.

First, akirby I have the same issue using my wife's phone, she has the same iPhone as me. 

"The dealer should try reloading the APIM software - not because it needs an update but sometimes it can become corrupted."  What is APIM an acronym for? 

We both have WAZE installed, I'll mess around with this and see if by turning Waze off if the problem goes away.

Cheers,

Thanks for the information about the APIM.

Thanks to MadManMoon for the information. The problem is WAZE.............. !!!!!! 

Seems there must a be bug in their program, when I shut WAZE down my volume control works perfectly. I will contact them to find out what they are going to do about it.

Cheers.

Edited by Gary Olson
Addition
  • Like 2