Ford Restart - Are these pics from Dearborn?

Can't answer the 1st question. As to the second a standard shutdown would empty automation cells, Paint spray booths and ovens. Some lines are emptied to accommodate maintenance and cleaning operations. Yes partially completed trucks are routinely left on the line. Exception are during a complete model changeover.

I have also heard that there was a lot of new vehicles in the overflow lots. I would assume Ford is now shipping those vehicles so it can credit its account. Here in Central Florda, I notice the dealers are selling vehicles with 0% financing. Volume of traffic on roads is really picking up.

Ford was in the process when Covid hit to over build F-150's and Fusions to make sure there was enough supply for when the factories were going to close for model switchovers. I know some work was done with the Covid shutdown to help shorten the model switch over but shutdowns will still be needed to complete the work. 

On 5/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, paintguy said:

Can't answer the 1st question. As to the second a standard shutdown would empty automation cells, Paint spray booths and ovens. Some lines are emptied to accommodate maintenance and cleaning operations. Yes partially completed trucks are routinely left on the line. Exception are during a complete model changeover.

This wasn't a normal shutdown though, so none of that stuff was never able to be done

1 hour ago, 09KR0058 said:

Oh no!  Any idea what happened?  I'm beginning to think that big red Limited just isn't meant to be for me.  :waiting:

Someone tested positive on the 1st day. If 1 person testing positive is enough to trigger another shutdown i'm not sure how they're ever going to get anything done, but hopefully they can igure something out. I'm sure it can easily be done, but I can't imagine the UAW is going to be easy to work with.

All I know is i'm glad i'm not in a union.

14 hours ago, probowler said:

Someone tested positive on the 1st day. If 1 person testing positive is enough to trigger another shutdown i'm not sure how they're ever going to get anything done, but hopefully they can igure something out. I'm sure it can easily be done, but I can't imagine the UAW is going to be easy to work with.

All I know is i'm glad i'm not in a union.

It was only shut down long enough to clean the area. 

The main reason I've heard (rumor here, so I can't verify) that the union wanted to wait to restart production was because they knew manpower would be an issue because of all the people that wouldn't come back due to the clause in the CARES Act about childcare. 

I hate wearing a mask at work, it's the single most irritating thing I've ever had to do in that place but I get why they require it, even if I don't agree that it actually does anything. 

38 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The main reason I've heard (rumor here, so I can't verify) that the union wanted to wait to restart production was because they knew manpower would be an issue because of all the people that wouldn't come back due to the clause in the CARES Act about childcare. 

Is that the 12 week thing you can take if you have a child at home to take care of if your partner is working/sick or something? I have a friend who did that since his wife is pregnant (and working from home) and has a 2 year old. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Is that the 12 week thing you can take if you have a child at home to take care of if your partner is working/sick or something? I have a friend who did that since his wife is pregnant (and working from home) and has a 2 year old. 

Yeah, that's it. A lot of people are utilizing it, and Gretchen just extend the stay at home order another 2 weeks so it won't get better any time soon. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, that's it. A lot of people are utilizing it, and Gretchen just extend the stay at home order another 2 weeks so it won't get better any time soon. 

That’s not just a Ford issue “I’m taking care of my kids” or “I’m scared to work” is an issue every company is coming in contact with, that plus people can make $970 a week sitting at home has given people 0 reason to go back. Now the governor is trying to deflect attention so that no one notices that her AG sued the dam owner for letting the water out of the dam that failed because there were releasing too much and it was harming that fresh water muscle so he couldn’t release it in the time prior to the failure. Just take a nice drive down to Ohio for a haircut or now dinner. The haircut felt great! 

Found these two videos, confirming that the pictures I posted earlier were indeed from the Dearborn plant when it reopened on Monday:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6157459409001

The way those trucks are moving off the line the first day proves there were a bunch of them sitting on the idle line when the plant was shut down.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6157513181001

So many questions about this one, but will just ask this:  Where the hell in the process does the line move backwards? 

I then backtracked to this page and was absolutely blown away!

http://corporate.ford.com/company/plant-detail-pages/dearborn-truck-plant.html

Dearborn has about 4,400 employees?  The plant is 2,600,00 square feet, covering 1,100 acres.  I just can't wrap my head around that.

Having been a Ford guy all my life (except for my first car, a 1966 Chevelle SS396) , I had no idea the scale of this plant!  God bless all you guys that work there.  When you arrive at the start of your shift, how long does it take for you to get to your station?  Do they offer helicopter drops?  ?

One more question.  That article says Dearborn came online in 2004.  Where were the F150's built before that, especially considering its been the #1 selling pickup since the invention of the wheel?

Edited by 09KR0058

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

That’s not just a Ford issue “I’m taking care of my kids” or “I’m scared to work” is an issue every company is coming in contact with

Oh for sure. I don't believe I ever said it was a Ford exclusive issue. 

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Now the governor is trying to deflect attention so that no one notices that her AG sued the dam owner for letting the water out of the dam that failed because there were releasing too much and it was harming that fresh water muscle so he couldn’t release it in the time prior to the failure

Both the governor and AG are doing a terrible job and both are overstepping their authority IMO. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

That’s not just a Ford issue “I’m taking care of my kids” or “I’m scared to work” is an issue every company is coming in contact with, that plus people can make $970 a week sitting at home has given people 0 reason to go back.

normal.thumb.jpg.6d55d77db07a17b12f893ad50376ed74.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

That’s not just a Ford issue “I’m taking care of my kids” or “I’m scared to work” is an issue every company is coming in contact with, that plus people can make $970 a week sitting at home has given people 0 reason to go back. 

Didn't Government put out that if you get a return to work order, you can't stay on unemployment or collect these benefits? 

News today is that UAW demanding the complete shutdown of DTP immediately and all workers tested. Then reopening with only those who tested negative. Not sure why Ford didn't do this from the start. Also, union wants shutdown to last 24 hrs. if even one worker tests positive. 

Ford's Mexican plants have not started up and Ford still hasn't given a startup date. Virus btw is out of control in Mexico and Brazil. 

Not to be a downer and I hope Ford can keep its plant open, but it's going to be  challenging in the extreme to keep the workers healthy and the plants open. Suppliers IMO will have even tougher time keeping plants open, especially those in Mexico. 

'

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

News today is that UAW demanding the complete shutdown of DTP immediately and all workers tested. Then reopening with only those who tested negative. Not sure why Ford didn't do this from the start. Also, union wants shutdown to last 24 hrs. if even one worker tests positive. 

Ford's Mexican plants have not started up and Ford still hasn't given a startup date. Virus btw is out of control in Mexico and Brazil. 

Not to be a downer and I hope Ford can keep its plant open, but it's going to be  challenging in the extreme to keep the workers healthy and the plants open. Suppliers IMO will have even tougher time keeping plants open, especially those in Mexico. 

'

The amount of testing and retesting required to keep plants open is going to be a nightmare to administer,

people are just brushing over it and not understanding the implications and how time consuming it will be.

Edited by jpd80

21 hours ago, 09KR0058 said:

One more question.  That article says Dearborn came online in 2004.  Where were the F150's built before that, especially considering its been the #1 selling pickup since the invention of the wheel?

I believe before the Dearborn plant came on-line Kansas City, the closed Norfolk, Virginia plant and Oakville, Ontario built the F150s. If you go even further back into the 80s St. Paul, Minnesota built them as well. Kansas City and Dearborn build them all today.

22 hours ago, 09KR0058 said:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6157513181001

So many questions about this one, but will just ask this:  Where the hell in the process does the line move backwards? 

That would be chassis line 5. It's not so much moving backwards, it's more that the skillets don't get turned around to move forward.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the plant to be 100% virus free... anyone who goes back to work needs to do so under their own free will and acceptance that they will probably get the virus.  Yes you should still be cautious and try to slow the spread so you don't have a giant spike but you gotta keep the old vulnerable people home and let the young people come in, get sick and get over it.  What else can we do? Close Ford indefinitely, and put everyone on unpaid leave for a whole year until we MAYBE get a vaccine?

Meanwhile Ford goes out of business and our country and economy explodes due to massive debt and money printing which destroys our currency. As long as you ignore the media and political fear mongering, more and more scientific data is showing this virus to be much less dangerous than advertised. Even Dr. Fauci is now saying we need to reopen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Lock down was only ever intended to prevent hospitals being overwhelmed with patients,

it was never intended as a virus eradication measure..

Unfortunately some politicians aren't seeing that way in some states in the US. 

• Like 3