35 MPH buzzing...Who's got the fix?

My Aviator ran noise free for the first 7,000 miles, now it exhibits a drivers side buzzing/grinding noise at around 35 MPH. I took it to the dealer, they pointed me to a TSB which stated that the noise was the transfer case calibrating, this was a normal noise.  It is not normal. The TSB says something to the effect, that if the AWD system has been idle for too long, ON STARTUP, you may hear this noise.  My noise started happening intermittently at 35 MPH while driving around and now it is more consistent. If I drive at 35 MPH, it will do it for miles. If I accelerate through the 35 MPH zone, it won't do it, only seems to do it under light load at that speed.

I've seen where a driveline was replaced, tires rebalanced.  I don't believe this is a driveline issue for me. It sounds more like an actuator noise or something not metal, and I can't seem to hear it when I open the window while driving next to a wall or something. Seems to be inside the vehicle and it buzzes the entire driver side of the car.

I'm going to drive it for another week before I take it back and get Lincoln involved.  Any ideas from you guys?

I haven't noticed anything like that on my 2020 Aviator GT, it's extremely quiet especially in EV mode.  If I have the window open I can occasionally hear slight whining/whistling noise at low speeds but I learned from OM there's an external speaker (called pedestrian alert or something) that makes "fake" engine/motor noise to alert pedestrians because it's so quiet when running in EV mode.  But I haven't noticed anything you described of a buzzing or grinding.

My previous vehicle (2017 MKX) had a strange noise problem which kind of sounded like a buzzing or "farting" noise (sorry that's the best way to describe it) and it would get louder and faster with the vehicle speed.  I eventually traced the source coming from one of the speakers in the driver door (upper tweeter).  Took it to the dealer multiple times to troubleshoot and they replaced the speaker but it still didn't solve the problem, eventually a senior tech got involved and found out the issue was with the Revel Ultima sound system which has an "active noise cancellation" that sends out low frequency sounds through the speakers to cancel out engine noise.  They ended up doing a master reset of the Sync system and updating the software which solved the noise problem. 

Mine is at the dealership for this right now--for the third time. First dealership said they couldn't figure it out, second dealership first blamed it on big wheels and tires to which I said that's not a thing. Now they finally admit that they too experienced the vibration, last I heard they were pulling the transmission; I've read that some have had their driveshafts replaced and that seems to alleviate the issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, Bellanca said:

Mine is at the dealership for this right now--for the third time. First dealership said they couldn't figure it out, second dealership first blamed it on big wheels and tires to which I said that's not a thing. Now they finally admit that they too experienced the vibration, last I heard they were pulling the transmission; I've read that some have had their driveshafts replaced and that seems to alleviate the issue. 

Don't you just love that shit, blame it on the big wheels..  It's your wheels breaking the pavement, you let a loud fart, we compared it to other Aviators and it is fine..  Blah, Blah, Blah..

On 6/13/2020 at 10:06 PM, BigAl77 said:

Don't you just love that shit, blame it on the big wheels..  It's your wheels breaking the pavement, you let a loud fart, we compared it to other Aviators and it is fine..  Blah, Blah, Blah..

Yeah I loved my Aviator but it's been way too problematic. Currently in the buyback process, rep was supposed to call me back on Friday, didn't happen. This is the 11th day that I'm stuck in a 2.0 Nautilus, I only had it back for 6 days--had just gotten it back after 16 days in the shop during which I had a MKC. They're not doing a good job of trying to keep me as a customer. 

7 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Sounds like the driveshaft replacement didn't correct the vibration issue... or is buyback due to other issues?

Other issues; intermittently on startup the car moves by itself when shifting from park to drive/reverse with my foot on the brake. Also just the amount of time it's been out of my hands. Between the last two visits alone I'm sitting at 28 days, maybe I'll get it back today. 

My Vibration is an embarrassing outcome.

I bought a luggage rack on Ebay a few months back, before a road trip. The rack worked well for the trip, using it to haul a suitcase up top.

I left the rack on there because it looked good, but it turns out, without a load this thing sings at 35mph!

I owe my service tech's and advisor some donuts and gift cards after trying to throw them a curveball!!  I had their Continental loaner for 4 days while they beat

their heads against the wall trying to figure out my vibration.

Turns out my Aviator is fine. No charge.

Just got back from another 1500 mile trip...I LOVE THIS VEHICLE.

• Like 2