• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Bob Rosadini

MKZ 3.0T, AWD, Road Noise Issue

Question

Guys,

I bought a CPO 2017 MKZ back in Feb with 40,000.  Great car but occasionally I will get a deep "roaring" sound at 50+MPH.  Almost the same as tire  noise you would get while driving on an asphalt road that has just been milled.  Will start and then disappear just as suddenly as it starts.

Any thoughts?

7 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Guys,

I bought a CPO 2017 MKZ back in Feb with 40,000.  Great car but occasionally I will get a deep "roaring" sound at 50+MPH.  Almost the same as tire  noise you would get while driving on an asphalt road that has just been milled.  Will start and then disappear just as suddenly as it starts.

Any thoughts?

My guess would be tires, or one tire with a bad belt.   Wheel bearing would normally be constant.  Exhaust drone is another possibility.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, akirby said:

My guess would be tires, or one tire with a bad belt.   Wheel bearing would normally be constant.  Exhaust drone is another possibility.

AK,

Thx.  Always thought if you  had a bad belt, it was "full time" thing.  Like I  said, this will suddenly  start and be gone just as abruptly. Did a 200 mile RT today and did not do it.

11 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

AK,

Thx.  Always thought if you  had a bad belt, it was "full time" thing.  Like I  said, this will suddenly  start and be gone just as abruptly. Did a 200 mile RT today and did not do it.

I agree.  I was thinking maybe the belt was slipping around.

*Complete* shot in the dark, but has it ever had the right halfshaft out? 

On 5/23/2020 at 7:10 PM, YT90SC said:

*Complete* shot in the dark, but has it ever had the right halfshaft out? 

YT-no clue-like I said it was a CPO and the Lincoln dealer I bought it from was outside of the Car Fax serviced history-so it looks like it spent its first 3 yrs on Long Island then hit Auction and ended up in upstate NY.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:05 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

YT-no clue-like I said it was a CPO and the Lincoln dealer I bought it from was outside of the Car Fax serviced history-so it looks like it spent its first 3 yrs on Long Island then hit Auction and ended up in upstate NY.

I've seen the retaining strap for the right intermediate shaft bearing not get torqued causing an intermittent rumble/roar/bearing sound. 

2 hours ago, YT90SC said:

I've seen the retaining strap for the right intermediate shaft bearing not get torqued causing an intermittent rumble/roar/bearing sound. 

thx YT- I'll get it checked out.