Workers shut down Dearborn

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ford-workers-refuse-to-work-and-shut-down-the-line-at-dearborn-f-150-plant.88/

A video taken by an autoworker and obtained exclusively by Labor Notes shows a rowdy and chaotic scene inside Ford’s Dearborn, Michigan Truck Plant on Wednesday as workers refused to work after a co-worker tested positive for COVID-19.

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Don't be mad at the company, they’re trying their best.

Be mad at the asshole who had to be reminded several times to wear a mask. I question it's effectiveness too but I at least have the decency to not be an asshole. 

It's going to be a long slog to keep these factories open. A very long slog. Unfortunately for workers, it will only speed up the momentum to robotic machines taking over assembly. Still remember the movie, Minority Report, and Lexus assembly plant run totally by machines. Parts of auto plants look like that now....no humans...only the chorus movement of hundreds of robots.

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It's going to be a long slog to keep these factories open. A very long slog. Unfortunately for workers, it will only speed up the momentum to robotic machines taking over assembly. Still remember the movie, Minority Report, and Lexus assembly plant run totally by machines. Parts of auto plants look like that now....no humans...only the chorus movement of hundreds of robots.

Oh I'm sorry, that's right I forgot: I'm a useless crybaby autoworker who just needs to STFU, stay in my house, live in fear and never go outside again

I don't understand why anyone is in that factory in the first place if a positive covid case will cause them to stop working and stand around angry.  If you don't want to be there, Please don't?  With that said though, it does bring up a few questions though. Is Ford FORCING employees to return to work? Do they have an option to remain home? Are they receiving paid-time off?'

I would definitely understand if people were hurting for cash and had to volunteer to work despite lingering fears they may have, that definitely sucks but I just hope people don't let the media hype get to them.... I recently read a study which stated the under 50 survival rate to be 98%... and most cases aren't even that serious. We will get through this! I just hope cooler heads prevail, and people will learn to chill.

Also this whole social distancing thing sounds really stupid and impossible to maintain. How are you gonna teach someone their job, from 6 feet away? That's not gonna work.

• Like 1

A 98 percent survival rate is a one in fifty chance of death. So If you had to take a flight for your job and get to the airport and there are fifty planes on the runway, and you find out a terrorist put a bomb in one of them, do you still take that flight?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

A 98 percent survival rate is a one in fifty chance of death. So If you had to take a flight for your job and get to the airport and there are fifty planes on the runway, and you find out a terrorist put a bomb in one of them, do you still take that flight?

Yep. Nothing in the world is without risk.

On second thought, nevermind, let's just drop a bunch of nukes all over the planet and end things. Much safer if everyone and everything is dead. 

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yep. Nothing in the world is without risk.

On second thought, nevermind, let's just drop a bunch of nukes all over the planet and end things. Much safer if everyone and everything is dead. 

I'm still working too, but I wear the mask and take precautions. I just don't want people to think this is something to take lightly. 

Half of the deaths in GA were in assisted living facilities which are being protected and tested every 4 days.  There are small outbreaks in areas where communities aren’t social distancing.  I think contact tracing and targeted quarantines will prevent surges.

Instead of reporting the number of covid 19 deaths I want to see the number of hospitalizations and deaths above and beyond the normal number.  I’d also like to see trends by county but GA isn’t publishing that data.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh I'm sorry, that's right I forgot: I'm a useless crybaby autoworker who just needs to STFU, stay in my house, live in fear and never go outside again

No worries fuzzy....I will be dead and you will be retired before Ford is making mostly electrics with all robot crew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Half of the deaths in GA were in assisted living facilities which are being protected and tested every 4 days.  There are small outbreaks in areas where communities aren’t social distancing.  I think contact tracing and targeted quarantines will prevent surges.

Instead of reporting the number of covid 19 deaths I want to see the number of hospitalizations and deaths above and beyond the normal number.  I’d also like to see trends by county but GA isn’t publishing that data.

Quite a bit of information is here:  GA Dept of Public Health

May not have everything you’re looking for. 

3 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I would take that flight for $100 ?  You better believe if the alternative is being out of work, not paying bills, or letting our country fall apart that I'd be the first in line!

44 minutes ago, probowler said:

I would take that flight for $100 ?  You better believe if the alternative is being out of work, not paying bills, or letting our country fall apart that I'd be the first in line!

I'm all for cautiously restarting the economy with the key word being caution. Looks like the auto companies are going about it the right way. However, it will be challenging and expect challenges. And this virus is the virus from hell. It preys on the weak big time. Just because it doesn't kill you doesn't diminish it in any way. About 10% who get it will end up in hospital. And some of those will have serious long term health problems like diminished lung capacity, blood clots, strokes, and kidney failure. And if you are asymptomatic, you will end up infecting friends and loved ones. I mean a science fiction movie couldn't find a scarier alien force. So caution is the key word here. This virus is very dangerous. Looks like I will be wearing a mask for a long time. For those who want to politicize and minimize it, good luck to you. 

12 hours ago, CurtisH said:

That's what I've been using - it has none of the info I was looking for.   I even downloaded the csv files hoping to see all the data on deaths and hospitalizations so I could do my own charts but the data is incomplete.  E.g. the deaths file does not include the date the person died, just the age, county and whether there were preexisting conditions.   For counties it only shows the cumulative data.   I'd like to see the trend for my county on hospitalizations and deaths.

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

That's what I've been using - it has none of the info I was looking for.   I even downloaded the csv files hoping to see all the data on deaths and hospitalizations so I could do my own charts but the data is incomplete.  E.g. the deaths file does not include the date the person died, just the age, county and whether there were preexisting conditions.   For counties it only shows the cumulative data.   I'd like to see the trend for my county on hospitalizations and deaths.

Is Georgia doing the same thing New York, New Jersey and Michigan are doing and labeling everything as a COVID death even if that wasn't the root cause? 

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Gotcha.  I thought it addressed some of the data items you mentioned in an earlier message,  but knew it didn’t cover everything you wanted.  It is better than it was a month or two ago.  Maybe they’ll add some more details to the data. 

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Is Georgia doing the same thing New York, New Jersey and Michigan are doing and labeling everything as a COVID death even if that wasn't the root cause? 

I’d like to know that, but haven’t found anything official regarding how they count/classify the deaths. 

40 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

I’d like to know that, but haven’t found anything official regarding how they count/classify the deaths. 

Here is my point - if a hospital normally sees 15 deaths per month from viruses/infections and its seeing 15 deaths per month now and they’re all covid 19 positive, then it’s no different than the flu or other illnesses.  Doesn’t mean we can stop all the precautions - e.g. we need to continue limiting large gatherings and still take precautions,  But I don’t think it means we should be keeping businesses closed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Here is my point - if a hospital normally sees 15 deaths per month from viruses/infections and its seeing 15 deaths per month now and they’re all covid 19 positive, then it’s no different than the flu or other illnesses.  Doesn’t mean we can stop all the precautions - e.g. we need to continue limiting large gatherings and still take precautions,  But I don’t think it means we should be keeping businesses closed.

You understand it!

We simply won't know the real impact until next year, when we can compare total deaths this year with 2018 and 2019 deaths.

4 hours ago, probowler said:

You understand it!

We simply won't know the real impact until next year, when we can compare total deaths this year with 2018 and 2019 deaths.

Or you could compare March, April and May 2020 with 2019 and see the difference in monthly deaths 

Compare the folks that died of heart disease,  blood pressure, diabetes and cancer ect in 2019

with those classified as covid-19 this year and see what the actual increase was.....

Edited by jpd80

On 5/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, CurtisH said:

Listening to NPR this morning and they had a Atlanta Journal news reporter that is writing some articles about all the BS that is coming out of the GA Public Health Agency-and the frustration because the information keeps changing.  Bottom line for me is be smart, wear a mask when inside stores, etc. and use social distancing.  It is obvious a challenge in a auto plant and there are going to be people infected. 

16 minutes ago, kyle said:

Listening to NPR this morning and they had a Atlanta Journal news reporter that is writing some articles about all the BS that is coming out of the GA Public Health Agency-and the frustration because the information keeps changing.  Bottom line for me is be smart, wear a mask when inside stores, etc. and use social distancing.  It is obvious a challenge in a auto plant and there are going to be people infected. 

They really should be reporting at least a week in arrears just because of the inherent delays in testing confirmation and data gathering.   But folks don't want to wait.   The errors that occurred are IMO just that - errors caused by trying to report data too quickly and not some conspiracy scheme.

The data has patterns based on day of the week - they should really be reporting on weekly totals and averages not daily.

Just give us the raw data with dates and let us do our own charts if they're not going to do all the charts county by county.   Just one hotspot in one county can make the state number look bad even though the other 158 are doing great.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

They really should be reporting at least a week in arrears just because of the inherent delays in testing confirmation and data gathering.   But folks don't want to wait.   The errors that occurred are IMO just that - errors caused by trying to report data too quickly and not some conspiracy scheme.

The data has patterns based on day of the week - they should really be reporting on weekly totals and averages not daily.

Just give us the raw data with dates and let us do our own charts if they're not going to do all the charts county by county.   Just one hotspot in one county can make the state number look bad even though the other 158 are doing great.

Oh the outliers, this is what makes statistics so much fun. Depending on your interpretation, the data can mean different things to different people which can be misleading. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Or you could compare March, April and May 2020 with 2019 and see the difference in monthly deaths 

Compare the folks that died of heart disease,  blood pressure, diabetes and cancer ect in 2019

with those classified as covid-19 this year and see what the actual increase was.....

Maybe they should switch to quarterly reporting....

everyone else is doing it lol.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3