Hyundai Santa Fe teased

T-dubz

Now that’s a serious mid cycle refresh.  Hyundai is certainly being aggressive with bringing fresh vehicles to market.  Ford better get with it on their refreshes.  I don’t expect new frames, but I do expect  noticeable interior and exterior changes.  Many of the past refreshes have been disappointing.    I want them to give me a reason to trade.  

• Like 1

You have to give Hyundai credit for keeping their models fresh. They have an industry-leading shortest 5 year model cycle whereas Ford has a industry lagging dead last longest 8 years model cycle. 

2nd gen Edge 

Original 2015 - 2018

Mid cycle 2019 - probably 2022

Total 8 model years

4th gen Santa Fe 

Original 2019 - 2021.5

Mid cycle 2021.5 - probably 2023

Total 5 model years 

Yeah, I’m not sure what happened because I feel like they used to be better about this.  I think it is a major issue that needs to be dealt with.  You can get away with not implementing major changes to the frame like Toyota has, but you must change the sheet metal and interiors. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tbone said:

Yeah, I’m not sure what happened because I feel like they used to be better about this.  I think it is a major issue that needs to be dealt with.  You can get away with not implementing major changes to the frame like Toyota has, but you must change the sheet metal and interiors. 

They did and you get the awful 2020 Escape...............

2 hours ago, tbone said:

Exactly, especially with 30%+ of people leasing, the last thing you want when you lease is up is to just release the same car. Fastest way to get a customer to walk down the street and find "something fresh" a new car should be new. 

• Like 1

The front end will be a "love it or hate it" situation. All their vehicles are getting the bold grill look.  If you compare the "bold grill" on the Palisades-and then sales figures, it doesn't seem there is much distaste for the design language-compared to the more conservative somewhat boxy look of the Telluride.

https://www.thekeea.com/telluride/kia-telluride-sales-figures-us/

As stated on here before (not by me) you have to give Hyundai credit for more frequent refreshes of their vehicles compared to some other manufacturers.

I am not sure about the Sonata grill-but quite frankly find the rest of the sedan very nice.

Well....I don't think Ford will sell any where near 450,000 new body style Escapes-so we can agree here.  Even if they are counting on buyers from more than one previous Ford models.  As a matter of fact-I will say that the volume will not even touch 300,000 units.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Before the Virus Escape was on track to hit about 275K units.   Add in 100K-125K Bronco Sports and you're close to 400K.

The Bronco Sport is a different model-let's not add them in. Unless of course we can now break out the FORD (Explorer) Interceptor from the regular models.

1 minute ago, CKNSLS said:

The Bronco Sport is a different model-let's not add them in. Unless of course we can now break out the FORD (Explorer) Interceptor from the regular models.

Au contraire - you have to add it in because that was Ford's strategy and that's why Escape looks like it does.  Two different versions of essentially the same vehicle with different styling and different features to appeal to 2 different demographics.     That's the part you don't seem to comprehend.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Au contraire - you have to add it in because that was Ford's strategy and that's why Escape looks like it does.  Two different versions of essentially the same vehicle with different styling and different features to appeal to 2 different demographics.     That's the part you don't seem to comprehend.

Agreed-no argument then when the GMC Sierra half-tons and Chevrolet Silverado sales are added together!

10 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Agreed-no argument then when the GMC Sierra half-tons and Chevrolet Silverado sales are added together!

Nope.  The differences between Bronco Sport and Escape are far more than a badge and a grille.

7 hours ago, T-dubz said:

It looked cool in the teaser, but something about this vehicle is off. It’s like the front half doesn’t match the back. Maybe this grille would look better on a sports car.

Totally agree with your thoughts here.  The front doesn’t go with the rest of the vehicle.  

Say what you want about the 2020 Escape...it looks far better in person and in a different color other then black or white (which is what I saw at first)-there is alot of surface detailing that gets lost in a 2D photo or with lighting from photography. 

Getting back on topic-I don't mind the grill on the Santa Fe-the question I have is how are those headlights going to actually look like in person that flank the grill? They are "hidden" in the photos to a point, but for some reason I think they'd bother me or stick out too much in person. 

On 5/26/2020 at 1:50 PM, tbone said:

Now that’s a serious mid cycle refresh.  Hyundai is certainly being aggressive with bringing fresh vehicles to market.

Yes sir tbone. Hyundai Motor Group is very serious about building a world class design team. They won Red Dot international design awards for Palisade, Nexo, and Kona. Maybe the refreshed Santa Fe will be a candidate for another design award. Hyundai did a nice job combining form and function in this model.