Bronco and Mustang Sub-Brands for Ford

Ford actually has 4 sub-brands if you include Mustang and Bronco. F-Series and Transit are both sub-brands that consist of multiple vehicles marketed under the same umbrella nameplate.

F-Series: F-150, F-250, Superduty (250/350/450/550)

Transit: Transit, Transit Custom, Transit Connect, Transit Courier (and their related Tourneo twins)

Mustang: Mustang, Mustang Mach-E

Bronco: Bronco, Bronco Sport

Transit is by far the most successful sub-brand in the car business right now. It's a family of 4 vehicles, 15 (at least by my count) bodystyles, and sold on all 6 continents and a key reason why Ford is still in business.

If not for the fact that 4 door sedan market has collapsed around the world (with notable exception of China), I would have expected a Mustang sedan. And I think if Bronco Sport is a success, we will see more members of Bronco family by next generation.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, bzcat said:

If not for the fact that 4 door sedan market has collapsed around the world (with notable exception of China), I would have expected a Mustang sedan. And I think if Bronco Sport is a success, we will see more members of Bronco family by next generation.

I wonder if the  Maverick small pickup will tie into the family. Bronco Maverick has a nice ring to it.

These sub-brand ideas have been around for a long, long time...

One that comes to mind from 1974 is Torino, then you had Gran Torino, Gran Torino Brougham, Gran Torino Sport, Gran Torino Elite (different body panels to further differentiate it) Then there were the "SUV's" of that era, in wagon form with Gran Torino Country Squire and a base ranch wagon version. Then you also had a truck version called Ranchero.

Moving to the Bronco line of 2021, you will have Bronco 2 door, Bronco 4 door, Bronco Sport (smaller), the rumored Bronco on an F-150 chassis, Bronco Maverick pickup. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

12 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I didn't even know Autoweek was still around.

I used to get the magazine and it was really good.  Then they went to bi-weekly publication but for some reason did not change their name to AutoEveryOtherWeek.   Do they still publish the paper version?

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I used to get the magazine and it was really good.  Then they went to bi-weekly publication but for some reason did not change their name to AutoEveryOtherWeek.   Do they still publish the paper version?

Nope, they stopped paper printing.  And I had let my subscription lapse before that.

I agree, it used to be really good.  Over the last few years it went way downhill though.  Like you said, biweekly, and when it did show up, 75% of it would be ads, and of that remaining 25%, 90% was motorsports stuff which I could care less about

Literally out of a 100 page issue (or whatever it was), I'd have 3-4 pages of the whole thing I'd read/be interested in.

• Like 2