2016 6.2L Trans problem (STEALERSHIP!)

Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

Since new the truck has an odd chatter (metal to metal squeak) in park or drive at idle and operating temp. The sound is coming from underneath around the engine and trans.

A month ago I goosed it a liitle into traffic. Rev'd to 3k RPM, the tranny caught and lurched hard. As if I rev'd it in neutral then dropped it in drive. This only happened once since new.

Since then, the trans is somewhat spongy upon acceleration. Not bad though. Its drivable and no codes 

The stealership (Ford) has always blown me off about the noise and say "they can't duplicate the problem". God I hate that... So finally one day I dropped by and had a mechanic come out and look at it. He FINALLY heard it. I mention the trans issue too.

Just got a call today. Needs a "Front Pump", fuild, filter and a new torque converter. I asked for more clarification on the pump he didn't really know.

THE KICKER!!!

He told me not to drive it at all and leave it with them till Friday. I asked why and he said no fluid being pumped and the chatter noise is part of it! I said the chatter has been like that since new and how much damage in 3 years no fluid pumping!!! I suggested a new trans. He said no...

Does the diagnosis match the symptoms? Since its been like this since new, should I push for a new trans?

Specs:

2016 F-250 6.2L

4WD Ext cab

34k miles

Bought new 3.5 years ago.

100% stock

Mostly driven on highway as daily commuter truck with no pay load or trailer.

Still under powertrain warranty.

THOUGHTS?

Many thanks

Edited by GETSHOCKED

On 5/27/2020 at 6:21 PM, GETSHOCKED said:

Since new the truck has an odd chatter (metal to metal squeak) in park or drive at idle and operating temp. The sound is coming from underneath around the engine and trans.

A month ago I goosed it a liitle into traffic. Rev'd to 3k RPM, the tranny caught and lurched hard. As if I rev'd it in neutral then dropped it in drive. This only happened once since new.

Since then, the trans is somewhat spongy upon acceleration. Not bad though. Its drivable and no codes 

The stealership (Ford) has always blown me off about the noise and say "they can't duplicate the problem". God I hate that... So finally one day I dropped by and had a mechanic come out and look at it. He FINALLY heard it. I mention the trans issue too.

Just got a call today. Needs a "Front Pump", fuild, filter and a new torque converter. I asked for more clarification on the pump he didn't really know.

THE KICKER!!!

He told me not to drive it at all and leave it with them till Friday. I asked why and he said no fluid being pumped and the chatter noise is part of it! I said the chatter has been like that since new and how much damage in 3 years no fluid pumping!!! I suggested a new trans. He said no...

Does the diagnosis match the symptoms? Since its been like this since new, should I push for a new trans?

Specs:

2016 F-250 6.2L

4WD Ext cab

34k miles

Bought new 3.5 years ago.

100% stock

Mostly driven on highway as daily commuter truck with no pay load or trailer.

Still under powertrain warranty.

THOUGHTS?

Many thanks

Where to start.... 

First, the pump's primary role is to provide pressure to apply the clutches in the transmission. In the majority of transmissions it sits directly behind the torque converter and is also the serves as the stator support for the converter and the front support for innards of the transmission. If the pump didn't work, it wouldn't move. Literally. Your service advisor is wrong. 

Second, The noise may be the converter or the pump, or, if it has a TS-5, a cracked coast clutch drum, which would explain your noise and occasional shift issue. Your truck probably has a TS-6 though, I can't be certain without a vin. If I was in it, I would make the same repair, as you can't be 100% certain which is the culprit, so just replace them both while you are there. Having the pump out would give me the chance to inspect the clutches while I am there to see if there is any other issue before reassembly. 

Third, when repairing a trans under warranty the tech has to do a cost-cap analysis where the damaged parts are plugged into a matrix and it chooses to "repair" or "replace". The only override for its decision is the LTIS program, which you are WAY out of on time and miles. If cost cap says replace, your transmission will most likely be supplied as remanufactured, rather than new. A competent trans tech will do a better job than the remanufacturer.

FInally, I understand your frustration with not being able to duplicate concerns. The tech is frustrated too. He spends an hour dicking with your vehicle every time it is in and doesn't get paid for it because he didn't fix anything -- he is paid commission and not hourly. This is the problem with noises. You hear it, the tech may not, and like playing password in kindergarten, you tell your advisor and the story changes or a detail is left out in the process of putting it on the RO and getting it to the tech. 

But what do I know, I'm just a shitty "STEALERSHIP" tech.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, YT90SC said:

Where to start.... 

First, the pump's primary role is to provide pressure to apply the clutches in the transmission. In the majority of transmissions it sits directly behind the torque converter and is also the serves as the stator support for the converter and the front support for innards of the transmission. If the pump didn't work, it wouldn't move. Literally. Your service advisor is wrong. 

Second, The noise may be the converter or the pump, or, if it has a TS-5, a cracked coast clutch drum, which would explain your noise and occasional shift issue. Your truck probably has a TS-6 though, I can't be certain without a vin. If I was in it, I would make the same repair, as you can't be 100% certain which is the culprit, so just replace them both while you are there. Having the pump out would give me the chance to inspect the clutches while I am there to see if there is any other issue before reassembly. 

Third, when repairing a trans under warranty the tech has to do a cost-cap analysis where the damaged parts are plugged into a matrix and it chooses to "repair" or "replace". The only override for its decision is the LTIS program, which you are WAY out of on time and miles. If cost cap says replace, your transmission will most likely be supplied as remanufactured, rather than new. A competent trans tech will do a better job than the remanufacturer.

FInally, I understand your frustration with not being able to duplicate concerns. The tech is frustrated too. He spends an hour dicking with your vehicle every time it is in and doesn't get paid for it because he didn't fix anything -- he is paid commission and not hourly. This is the problem with noises. You hear it, the tech may not, and like playing password in kindergarten, you tell your advisor and the story changes or a detail is left out in the process of putting it on the RO and getting it to the tech. 

But what do I know, I'm just a shitty "STEALERSHIP" tech.

This is really good info YT! Thanks!