Mustang Mach 1 Returning for 2021 Model Year

Key money quotes about pricing:

“Mach 1 has always been that bridge between base Mustangs and the Shelby models,” said Ted Ryan, heritage brand manager, Ford Archives.

and performance:

Seventeen years later, the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach 1 is set to return as the most track-ready 5.0-liter Mustang ever.

Not sure what those openings in the grill feed, but I bet it relates to the performance mission stated above.

Edited by Harley Lover

8 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

and performance:

Not sure what those openings in the grill feed, but I bet it relates to the performance mission stated above.

The openings are either styling cues or they are there to cool 1,000 Gigawatt generator.?

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Big difference between installing it in your garage and on an assembly line. 

And, a keen eye will see that this is not a daily/streetable car to begin with. It's missing something(s) VERY important. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 2:50 PM, YT90SC said:

And, a keen eye will see that this is not a daily/streetable car to begin with. It's missing something(s) VERY important. 

I’m apparently a little slow here.  It’s probably obvious, but what’s missing?

7 hours ago, coupe3w said:

Tell me why.

Looking at that picture they rerouted most, if not all of the cooling system plumbing. The coolant bottle for one thing, which is right up front and on the left side of the radiator is missing, now relocated on the right side of the engine. The stock air box has been removed and the hose now (presumably) is rerouted to somewhere down much lower than the stock intake. All of that suggests there was a lot of custom work done to the engine bay of this car. There's also a "K" brace that's usually goes across the strut towers and bolts just below the cowl that isn't there either. That's not a big deal for the assembly process since not every Mustang gets that anyway but it's worth noting. 

I'm not an engineer so I'll try to  explain from the point of view of someone on the line:

when you add a new engine you have to add a whole new process for most of the plant, especially engine line and the marriage process. That means you have to train every employee on an entire new process and that usually means line downtime. It's an unavoidable fact of new model launches. To install this setup from from below will likely require body modifications to provide proper clearance for the new cooling plumbing, which means new body shop tooling. I'm sure the A/C lines have been rerouted to accommodate the intercooler/turbo plumbing which means there needs to be structural changes which changes the whole production process. 

There's probably more I'm not thinking of at the moment, my day has been a shit-show so my brain is a bit fried.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I was guessing windshield wipers but they may just be hidden in the cowl.

yeah, the mechanism is under the cowl cover, like pretty much all Fords. This one has the cowl cover removed, you can see part of the wiper mechanism in the upper right hand side of the pic. 

the stock air box, washer fluid bottle and stock coolant bottle are all missing. The air box and coolant bottle have been relocated and upgraded. This is probably a race car. 

On 5/30/2020 at 2:50 PM, YT90SC said:

On 5/30/2020 at 5:49 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

There's a few somethings that are missing. 

Are you guys talking about the engine pic?  That is NOT the Mach 1 engine.  That’s just a random pic of a twin turbo 5.0L.  

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Looking at that picture they rerouted most, if not all of the cooling system plumbing. The coolant bottle for one thing, which is right up front and on the left side of the radiator is missing, now relocated on the right side of the engine. The stock air box has been removed and the hose now (presumably) is rerouted to somewhere down much lower than the stock intake. All of that suggests there was a lot of custom work done to the engine bay of this car. There's also a "K" brace that's usually goes across the strut towers and bolts just below the cowl that isn't there either. That's not a big deal for the assembly process since not every Mustang gets that anyway but it's worth noting. 

I'm not an engineer so I'll try to  explain from the point of view of someone on the line:

when you add a new engine you have to add a whole new process for most of the plant, especially engine line and the marriage process. That means you have to train every employee on an entire new process and that usually means line downtime. It's an unavoidable fact of new model launches. To install this setup from from below will likely require body modifications to provide proper clearance for the new cooling plumbing, which means new body shop tooling. I'm sure the A/C lines have been rerouted to accommodate the intercooler/turbo plumbing which means there needs to be structural changes which changes the whole production process. 

There's probably more I'm not thinking of at the moment, my day has been a shit-show so my brain is a bit fried.

I understand what you are saying, but this is a new model launch so the training is already accounted for, no? And as far as the doing the turbo part of it, couldn't that be done on a niche line? In the picture, this car is not complete and is just a prototype. They also have one with the turbos under the car near the header exit. It's called the sleeper package or something like that. 

If a production Mustang was ever going to get twin turbos, it would probably have been the GT500, but as we know that went with a tried and tested supercharger.

Mach1 has never been boosted......it's always been a n/a car and I don't expect that to change. Mach 1 will not tread on GT500's toes. It'll sit in the line-up somewhere along the lines of the Bullitt and GT350, both of which are gone for '21MY. The twin circular "intakes" could be spot lights.......but I hope not, lights in the grille worked for the S197's retro vibe, but don't work on the more modern S550 (in my opinion). They could just be intakes, like the '12/'13 Boss 302 had (well, they had covers which could be removed).

I'm hoping for/expecting a n/a 5.0 with around 500hp........hopefully with the optional 10-speed auto or the GT350's Tremec manual. A mix of PP2/GT350 suspension/brakes and that sprinkle with Mach 1 stripes/hood blackout/unique seat trim etc.