F150 reveal set for 6/25

3 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford wants to significantly lower its warranty costs. 

It has to. Warranty costs have spiraled out of control at Ford over the past year. Earlier this year, Ford's CFO specifically mentioned "continuation of higher warranty costs" as one reason for the company's bleak earnings outlook for 2020.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:09 AM, rperez817 said:

It has to. Warranty costs have spiraled out of control at Ford over the past year. Earlier this year, Ford's CFO specifically mentioned "continuation of higher warranty costs" as one reason for the company's bleak earnings outlook for 2020.

Typical of Ford. They don't seem to grasp what they really need to do to stop paying out so much. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Typical of Ford. They don't seem to grasp what they really need to do to stop paying out so much. 

It's the same thing that got them into trouble way back in the day with the Pinto fiasco. Cheaper to pay in litigation and warranty costs than to do it right the first time, reputation be damned. It's a strange phenomenon. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

It seems as though all the major manufacturers have major recall issues. For example, the new Toyota Rav 4 has a class action suit against it for fuel tank problems and major rear suspension issues. Neither issue is minor. My previous Subaru Crosstrec had an extended warranty for CVT trans. Subaru is known for head gasket problems at around 70,000 miles that cost over $3,000 to repair. I owned a flat 6 engine also and nothing reliable about Boxer engines long term.

53 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It seems as though all the major manufacturers have major recall issues. For example, the new Toyota Rav 4 has a class action suit against it for fuel tank problems and major rear suspension issues. Neither issue is minor. My previous Subaru Crosstrec had an extended warranty for CVT trans. Subaru is known for head gasket problems at around 70,000 miles that cost over $3,000 to repair. I owned a flat 6 engine also and nothing reliable about Boxer engines long term.

GoldWings have flat 6 engines and go 300-400,000 miles easy. It's not a flat 6 problem, it's a design problem.

Edited by MY93SHO
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford gambles on short term cost savings hoping to avoid costly warranty issues later.  It has not worked out well the last decade or so.

It’s not really gambling, it’s cost cutting. Bean counters come down and say you have to cut xxxx from this program so we can hit our profit numbers. If you do this you get a bonus if you don’t you get fired. So the team goes back and goes well we can eliminate the ambient lighting colors, glove box light and a few surprise and delight features as they cost money and just keep customers content. So you cut those, then they come back the next year and go you need to cut more so then you go well I cut the easy stuff so let’s change the sound damping material to a cheaper one (oops this one is flammable with the seatbelt pretensioner) lets see if we can redo part xxx the supplies says we can do it this way but it won’t be as durable and Won’t warranty it but it’s $1 a unit savings do that on 10 parts. Etc etc etc. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Agreed. I'll take a lawnmower with a Honda engine over any other small engine make any day of the week. 

I have a 2 hp Honda marine  on a sailboat and it kinda sucks, my 90 hp Honda on the center console  ran 20 years before the  transmission finally gave out. Always seem to screwing around  with the 2 hp,  can’t say I love that little engine

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

It’s not really gambling, it’s cost cutting. Bean counters come down and say you have to cut xxxx from this program so we can hit our profit numbers. If you do this you get a bonus if you don’t you get fired. So the team goes back and goes well we can eliminate the ambient lighting colors, glove box light and a few surprise and delight features as they cost money and just keep customers content. So you cut those, then they come back the next year and go you need to cut more so then you go well I cut the easy stuff so let’s change the sound damping material to a cheaper one (oops this one is flammable with the seatbelt pretensioner) lets see if we can redo part xxx the supplies says we can do it this way but it won’t be as durable and Won’t warranty it but it’s $1 a unit savings do that on 10 parts. Etc etc etc. 

This seems to be an ongoing problem for them and I’m not going to lie, it has put a little chink in my long standing loyalty to Ford.  My two first gen Raptors were bullet proof. I cannot say the same about my second gen.  Our Explorer ST has not been perfect either.  They really need to get a handle on these matters.  

1 hour ago, pictor said:

I have a 2 hp Honda marine  on a sailboat and it kinda sucks, my 90 hp Honda on the center console  ran 20 years before the  transmission finally gave out. Always seem to screwing around  with the 2 hp,  can’t say I love that little engine

I've never had any experience with their marine engines

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Ford gambles on short term cost savings hoping to avoid costly warranty issues later.  It has not worked out well the last decade or so.

Meanwhile you bleed away your customers ?

Whatever happened to pride? To striving to be the best?  Absolutely pathetic.

It seems strange that a family-owned company could be run so. You would think with their name on the product that there would be more love and care built into these cars, more urgency to protect the brand image. It seems like a serious leadership failure from the top to just let the bean counters run amok.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The cost cutting approach has existed for decades. The Harvard "bean counters" almost put Ford out of business in the late '70's. Unfortunately, Ford never learns from it's mistakes and the problem and negative impact have only gotten worse within the past 5-10 years. The cost cutting leads to the customer perceptions of a lesser quality vehicle design, some customers go to the competition, Ford loses market share, existing customer are dissatisfied when the problems start to appear and the recalls are launched, Ford incurs the warranty cost spike, the profit objective is missed, the shareholders are hurt, the negative media play (biased or not) impacts the overall perception of the company, etc.

Ford management thinks and acts short term, often as a matter of career preservation, and in inconsistent in following through on long term plans that would benefit the company, its customers and shareholders long term. And ever time there's a change in upper management, whatever long tern plan for vehicle development was in effect gets scrapped because someone has a "better idea" and the cycle starts all over again! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Anthony said:

If you like Ford's F-150 tweet on twitter they send you this image as a reply.

EbENjhPWkAYzH-B.jpeg

Nice. Wish I thought of that!  They even have one on the other side for lefties.

I also see the cord that looks like it plugs into an outlet somewhere in the truck bed.

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Agreed but when you cost cut like that it’s a gamble.  If you cut too much or cut the wrong thing you end up losing way more long term than you saved short term.  Sometimes it’s just time - you rush something out hoping you don’t miss something important because you don’t want to miss revenue.  Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn’t.

It takes discipline to forego short term gains to improve quality.  Most companies don’t have that discipline.