F150 reveal set for 6/25

13 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's grown on me a little bit, and I already liked the GMC version. It definitely depends on the color though. Still think the HD one looks awful. 

Yes, agreed. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the HD. 

12 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

As far as the styling being similar to the last generation I think it's very smart. They just took something that looked good and make it look even better. When you have a successful product your better off making improvements then just change for changes sake. The best example I can think of this is the 1992 Ford Taurus was a home run hit. They took the '86-91 design and really improved it and made it look great. Then came the '96 with all the crazy ovals and change for change sake... It ended up basically ruining the Taurus. They tried the 1992 method in 2000 and it definitely helped, but by then the damage was done. Ford is taking the smart route on the 2021 F150.

It is a fair argument.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kyle said:

Yes they are completely different, but still look damn near the same. I saw some other pics and like what they've done-probably the right move, being very careful not to alienate their core buyers. 

They look the same aside from being completely different?  Lol

55 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Take a look at the new character line that runs under the windows.  It creates a beefy bezel between the door skins and the windows.  Looks good.

I like that too - what they did is on the '15-'20 they had the plastic window trim push out like a shelf almost so that the door panels would be flat all the way, but here they kept the plastic trim flush near the glass and carved out the sheetmetal - I like it.

52 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I am one of the few that actually likes the new Chevys and GMC trucks styling. My neighbor has a loaded GMC and I think it is great looking.

I agree the GMCs look nice.  The Chevys, not so much to put it nicely.

9 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

I just noticed that they moved the radio antenna off the body panel and tucked it behind the hood.

I don't know why they can't just get rid of the antenna these days.  They do on every other car, why not the trucks?

2 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

If you look through the pictures on Ford's site the XL, STX, and XLT still come with a column shifter. I'm not sure if it is available in any of the higher trims, but if you really want a column shifter you can still get it.

As far as the styling being similar to the last generation I think it's very smart. They just took something that looked good and make it look even better. When you have a successful product your better off making improvements then just change for changes sake. The best example I can think of this is the 1992 Ford Taurus was a home run hit. They took the '86-91 design and really improved it and made it look great. Then came the '96 with all the crazy ovals and change for change sake... It ended up basically ruining the Taurus. They tried the 1992 method in 2000 and it definitely helped, but by then the damage was done. Ford is taking the smart route on the 2021 F150.

You could also argue that between the 9th and 11th generations of F-150, you saw dramatic changes in each generation, all of which helped the F-150. Ever since the 12th gen, it seems we have pretty much had the same exterior minus the headlight and grille changes. With evolutionary styling, you run the risk of your product looking dated prematurely. Imagine if I were to buy a new F-150 in 7 or 8 years at the end of this new generations lifecycle. That truck will look pretty similar to a truck that’s 20 years old.

2 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

You could also argue that between the 9th and 11th generations of F-150, you saw dramatic changes in each generation, all of which helped the F-150. Ever since the 12th gen, it seems we have pretty much had the same exterior minus the headlight and grille changes. With evolutionary styling, you run the risk of your product looking dated prematurely. Imagine if I were to buy a new F-150 in 7 or 8 years at the end of this new generations lifecycle. That truck will look pretty similar to a truck that’s 20 years old.

By doing that, you also avoid odd styling trends at any given time, though.  I feel like the odd creases in the Silverado right now won't date well.

----

Something I just thought of - obviously the F-150 is new for 2021, and the Expedition is 3 years behind F-150 - So F-150 was all new for 2015, the Expy new for 2018, when F-150 got its refresh - Expy shared the F-150 refresh's interior - I wonder if we'll see changes for the Expy's refresh which should be here soon no?  Or will it get the recent Ford refresh MO and barely touch the interior?

7 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The 1980-1996 F-Series was an evolutionary design and it sealed their spot as the number 1 selling truck ever since.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

The 1980-1996 F-Series was an evolutionary design and it sealed their spot as the number 1 selling truck ever since.

True, and the body didn’t change much over that time period at all, but playing it safe is how you let the competition catch up. This redesign won’t hurt ford at all and that’s what ford’s betting on, but a gamble here and there could have increased market share. Trucks are expensive these days, people don’t want to spend that much money on something that doesn’t look new.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know why they can't just get rid of the antenna these days.  They do on every other car, why not the trucks?

They can, just decided not to. Ram 1500 (DT) was the first full size pickup truck that eliminated the mast antenna for AM/FM radio in favor of an integrated shark fin multi function antenna on the cab roof, and remains the only one in its class with that design.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

They can, just decided not to. Ram 1500 (DT) was the first full size pickup truck that eliminated the mast antenna for AM/FM radio in favor of an integrated shark fin multi function antenna on the cab roof, and remains the only one with that design.

The reason I heard that it is still available on trucks is that the mast antenna has the best range for picking up FM/AM stations. Which if you live/work in the middle of nowhere it becomes in handy. I think rural farmers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

They can, just decided not to. Ram 1500 (DT) was the first full size pickup truck that eliminated the mast antenna for AM/FM radio in favor of an integrated shark fin multi function antenna on the cab roof, and remains the only one in its class with that design.

Ranger has a little stubby one on the roof.

001_FORDranger_764A8419edit-640x395.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Ranger has a little stubby one on the roof.

001_FORDranger_764A8419edit-640x395.jpg

Yup, I like the Fuba style antenna on my Ranger. It looks nice, is short enough to not present any clearance issues when entering a garage, and provides good FM radio reception.

29 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yes, the F-150 has used the same CORE design language for the shape of the F-150 since 2004.  But the clothing and jewelry have changed significantly.

1406300159_unnamed(1).jpg.8fbe3f946f54b267703bfa6f9581e944.jpg

124-2021-all-new-f-150-011-1593006917.jpg.343c509eea91304caba6d761cd231efe.jpg

Those two trucks are very different when you consider all of the details. It's hard to make a pickup look way different unless you want Ford to build a version of the Cybertruck.

33 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yes, the F-150 has used the same CORE design language for the shape of the F-150 since 2004.  But the clothing and jewelry have changed significantly.

1406300159_unnamed(1).jpg.8fbe3f946f54b267703bfa6f9581e944.jpg

124-2021-all-new-f-150-011-1593006917.jpg.343c509eea91304caba6d761cd231efe.jpg

And yet the 2021 truck looks incredibly better, despite maintaining some similarities (at least IMO). I always hated those 2 generations after the OBS.

Kelly Blue Book channel reviewed the Limited model interior and was impressed with the design and materials used. The seats look especially impressive. I would imagine the new Expedtion will get the same interior or very similar. Easily the best interior Ford offers excepting Aviator/Navigator.

• Like 2

Overall I'm happy with what they did. I am curious as to how well the Coyote handles the cylinder deactivation long term. 

I was hoping for a Trail Boss competitor. Yes we have the Raptor. But why not a Tremor package? Id be all over it.

If you watch any of the comparison videos of the GM twins, its usually a Trail Boss. A mild lift, good tires, off road modes, and an appearance package like the SD would sell like gangbusters and not require massive investment. TFL just did a comparison on a TRD PRO and the Trail boss. I believe they both stickered for $55K. Ford doesn't have a direct competitor as the Raptor is significantly higher. They tried to halfway dip their toes in the water with the quiet offering of a front leveling kit with FOX shocks. But c'mon Ford- a Tremor F150 would sell like hotcakes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

By doing that, you also avoid odd styling trends at any given time, though.  I feel like the odd creases in the Silverado right now won't date well.

----

Something I just thought of - obviously the F-150 is new for 2021, and the Expedition is 3 years behind F-150 - So F-150 was all new for 2015, the Expy new for 2018, when F-150 got its refresh - Expy shared the F-150 refresh's interior - I wonder if we'll see changes for the Expy's refresh which should be here soon no?  Or will it get the recent Ford refresh MO and barely touch the interior?

Well I hope it isn’t the old way, because IMO the Expedtion interior, primarily the dash area, is the weakest point of the Expedition.  It feels old because it’s origins date back to 2015, and really isn’t sufficient for what can be an $80k vehicle.  This new interior can solve that problem pretty easily.  

23 minutes ago, dave91gt said:

Overall I'm happy with what they did. I am curious as to how well the Coyote handles the cylinder deactivation long term. 

I was hoping for a Trail Boss competitor. Yes we have the Raptor. But why not a Tremor package? Id be all over it.

If you watch any of the comparison videos of the GM twins, its usually a Trail Boss. A mild lift, good tires, off road modes, and an appearance package like the SD would sell like gangbusters and not require massive investment. TFL just did a comparison on a TRD PRO and the Trail boss. I believe they both stickered for $55K. Ford doesn't have a direct competitor as the Raptor is significantly higher. They tried to halfway dip their toes in the water with the quiet offering of a front leveling kit with FOX shocks. But c'mon Ford- a Tremor F150 would sell like hotcakes!

This is probably my biggest disappointment. I’m hoping they have a package like this but just didn’t show it yesterday.  I’m a Raptor owner but with the latest generation the price went way up and it became less affordable.  A Tremor/Trail Boss package would fill that void between the standard truck and the Raptor very nicely and wouldn’t be costly to do.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tbone said:

Well I hope it isn’t the old way, because IMO the Expedtion interior, primarily the dash area, is the weakest point of the Expedition.  It feels old because it’s origins date back to 2015, and really isn’t sufficient for what can be an $80k vehicle.  This new interior can solve that problem pretty easily.  

I definitely agree.

With regards to the updated styling being subtle vs not, how much as Subaru design evolved in the last decade? Seems few people give them a hard time about it. The Outback has changed very little since 2010, even though it's currently being towed as "all new."

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

Those two trucks are very different when you consider all of the details. It's hard to make a pickup look way different unless you want Ford to build a version of the Cybertruck.

Of course!  I'm just pointing out the Ford has had an ongoing design language for the F-150 and they keep that as a CORE and build around it.  It's a smart way to make your brand be recognizable with no badges....all based on familiar (yet unique) visual cues.  There's no mistaking that this vehicle is an F-150 even with no badges, a completely different grille and different fender shapes, etc...  At its CORE, it uses cues that the F-150 brand has been using for the past 2 decades.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

With regards to the updated styling being subtle vs not, how much as Subaru design evolved in the last decade? Seems few people give them a hard time about it. The Outback has changed very little since 2010, even though it's currently being towed as "all new."

Yep, I owned a 2017 Crosstrek and it went to an all new platform for 2018 that was slightly wider, and it still basically looked the same except for some changes front and rear and 4 more hp. And customers loved it and easily sold everyone with no incentives. And of course price went up on upper trim levels as a few features were added like power front seat and doors lock as vehicle moves. Believe it or not, my Crosstrek Limited didn't include powered drivers seat or moving locking doors. So when you set the seat and forgot to lock it, it would jarringly move on the road under braking and then lock in. But the lower door cards were nice and the dashboard had stiching!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tbone said:

This is probably my biggest disappointment. I’m hoping they have a package like this but just didn’t show it yesterday.  I’m a Raptor owner but with the latest generation the price went way up and it became less affordable.  A Tremor/Trail Boss package would fill that void between the standard truck and the Raptor very nicely and wouldn’t be costly to do.  

They gotta save something for next year to keep up the excitement. I bet in the next few years you will see an FX2 and a Tremor.