F150 reveal set for 6/25

Overall, a good looking truck. But I just can't get there on the front. The pouty grill shape and huge headlight housings just don't work for me. Totally subjective, though, I'm sure plenty will love it. And I've been on the outside looking in since the 2-bar thing became the norm, so I clearly don't represent any large slice of the market.

27 minutes ago, Moosetang said:

Overall, a good looking truck. But I just can't get there on the front. The pouty grill shape and huge headlight housings just don't work for me. Totally subjective, though, I'm sure plenty will love it. And I've been on the outside looking in since the 2-bar thing became the norm, so I clearly don't represent any large slice of the market.

I get what you are saying. What throws it off for me is the somewhat oval shape of the trim on the grille (the chrome outer ring on the blue truck below). It doesn’t seem to flow well with the rest of the square and rectangular shapes on the rest of the front. The trim on the STX is body colored so it blends in better and if you look at the lariat, it’s missing the trim altogether so it looks better in my opinion.2021-ford-f-150-grille-designs.jpg2021-ford-f-150-grille-designs.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kyle said:

Ok enough with the Roman comments!

I heard him last night and he was definitely grumpy or drunk but I still love these guys and want both parties to work things out. 

Roman admits to acting unprofessional in the TFL 2021 F-150 reveal video last night...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itguy09 said:

Really? 

What competitor offers an integrated "generator"?  That would go over very well for the camper crowd as they could leave their 2k Hondas at home.  I'd love to be able to plug our camper in at a rest stop or while on the road.

That tailgate with the integrated tie down points addresses a needs of many.  I wish our 2011 had them for our kayaks.

The interior looks class leading.

Ford's powertrain has already been the top of the class and this will solidify that it for those that want performance.

The towing capacity will be class leading.  See #1.

Let's see payload amounts before we get excited about towing figures.

Will the "generator" lead to conquest sales-a few-but many already have the little Hondas and won''t buy a new truck over leaving the Honda Generator at home.  What will be interesting is to see the package that includes the generator capability-will it be more than a small Honda generator? I'm thinking yes....

The RAM still has the nicer interior IMHO.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bryan1 said:

Roman admits to acting unprofessional in the TFL 2021 F-150 reveal video last night...

Everyone messes up....everyone....and he was man enough to apologize. Think it was sincere and that is enough for me. I hate today's knee jerk environment where someone gets fired, loses their business, because a mistake was made. Good lesson for everyone. Also pretty cool that the public both supported them during Ford's launch and called them out on being un-professional. 

• Like 2

For the most part, I enjoy watching TFL's videos.  Many are purely entertainment.

But the reason they had to pout and whine is because that makes for higher viewer count.  Now they apologized, more viewers.  When they get their first Ford back to review, they'll be all HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY, and more viewers.  It's the nature of YouTube monetization.

I posted this in the competing products thread, but I’ll post it here just in case people didn’t see it.

Ford says there will be an all new Raptor for the 2021 model year according to Dawn McKenzie, Ford's manager of truck communications.  No details yet, but it is a surprise considering the consensus was they would skip 2021.  

Since this wasn’t announced at the intro, perhaps there is still a chance of a Tremor type package at the start of production as well. 

Texas State Fair (If held) is later this year and they could release the Raptor there. They have never released the Raptor with the F-150 so that does not surprise me.

Expy/Nav go under the knife next year. They get the PowerBoost engine I think.

Chevy screwed the pooch by attempting to put the Camaro face on everything. It doesn't work. Not to mention the interior, which has been an issue since forever.

About the "Body didn't change enough argument." The Super Duty body went 17 years with the same basic body while GM and Dodge went through 3 bodies each. And Ford gained market share in the segment.

Though the cabin space and windows are the same, the sheetmetal has been changed and it looks good to me.

Hopeful of what this shows us for the both the next Super Duty and Ranger. And, of course, the Maverick as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Thinking about the shifter that lowers down to create a work surface.  How much of the complexity could have been alleviated by just having a rotary shifter on the dash?

Well, I answered my own question:

Ford’s release mentions the company didn’t think they could sell a complete removal of the traditional vertical shifter to truck buyers, though a dial or buttons would have been so much easier. That’s ridiculous, but not on Ford’s part. But hey, I guess the people are paying for what they want.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-2021-ford-f-150s-surprisingly-complicated-1844179639?rev=1593266401684&utm_campaign=Jalopnik&utm_content=1593266613&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

They've been like that for a while....

Oh I know, it's getting way worse lately. There's certain writers I won't even click on their stories no matter how much the topic interests me. The only one I read consistently anymore is David Tracy and his adventures with shitbox Jeeps. 

At least Elizabeth Werth is gone, she was the worst. 

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Thinking about the shifter that lowers down to create a work surface.  How much of the complexity could have been alleviated by just having a rotary shifter on the dash?

I thought the same thing.  I understand Ford's position,  personally i would have gone with the buttons aka Lincoln.  It didn't take any time at all adjusting to my Nautilus. 

• Like 1

I like the updated body.  Disappointed with the interior, still looks like a lot of hard plastics.  The model with the lay flat seats had a nice contrasting seat color but everything else was black.  I'll take a look when they hit the lot, perhaps the video doesn't do it justice. 

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

The XL, STX, and XLT all come standard with a traditional column shifter. So I guess Ford thinks truck buyers still like to grab a lever to shift. I don't know why, but I also like either a column shift or a floor shift in a truck. It doesn't do anything different, but it feels right.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Yes, Ford did what it had to do....made it more handsome, created a much better interior, rivaled the Ram touchscreen in horizontal fashion for safety sake, added a lot of cool features, and for the most part did its homework in comprehensive way. Btw, those new wheels with black inserts look great. Ford will easily keep its current customers and get some conquest sales to boot. Silverado especially should be worried. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

No doubt the Silverado fans over at GMI are gonna be mighty pissed,

expect some push back on no HUD and truck looking the same as the old one.

IMO, HUD is nice to have but not a deal-breaker for most F150 buyers save for high series?

Also, familiarity of good  design elements is preferred by most repeat buyers and F150 is

a nice, comfortable make over. Silverado design doesn't work for me but the GM fans like it

because GM isn't changing anytime soon...

21 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Let's see payload amounts before we get excited about towing figures.

Will the "generator" lead to conquest sales-a few-but many already have the little Hondas and won''t buy a new truck over leaving the Honda Generator at home.  What will be interesting is to see the package that includes the generator capability-will it be more than a small Honda generator? I'm thinking yes....

The RAM still has the nicer interior IMHO.

The outgoing model was #2 in towing and payload.  One of the GMs (I think GMC) has about a 400lb tow rating advantage and the EB 3.5 is neck and neck with the big GM V8.  Ram is behind.  Our 2011 F150 with SuperCrew with Max Tow has a payload of 1800 lbs.  IIRC the new models have north of 2000lbs payload.

It also has cool technologies that I don't think are available on the competitors.  Trailer stuff, the active safety features.  I'd upgrade for the parallel parking alone as I hate that in ours.

We tow a camper with our F150.  If I were replacing it today you bet your bottom I'd go for the Ford - the power, trailering aids, and the generator would be awesome.  We could pull over, plug in the camper, make coffee, microwave something, and if the hybrid even run the AC.  Heck, for tailgaters it would be awesome - no external generators or inverters.

Sorry, I don't get the love for the Ram.  It's got a GAUDY interior and having sat in all 3 2020 models at an auto show none was better or worse than the others.  But the Ram loses in most metrics that matter to people that use their trucks.  Not much capability, lower power options, and dubious reliability.  I'd go GM next after Ford and would walk before a Ram.