Ford plans to use batteries supplied by BYD

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/01/ford-byd-batteries/

Chinese electric vehicle maker BYD will supply EV batteries to U.S. automaker Ford, a document on the website of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology showed on Monday. Ford's China venture with Changan Automobile is seeking government approval to build a plug-in hybrid model equipped with BYD's batteries, according to the document.

This marks BYD's first-known battery supply deal with a major global automaker.
ADVERTISEMENT

Shenzhen-based BYD, which is backed by U.S. investor Warren Buffett, said it would supply EV components including batteries and power management devices.

The Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker said last year it planned to launch more than 30 new or significantly redesigned models in China by the end of 2021, of which over a third will be electric vehicles.

Ford and BYD did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

I'm assuming this is only for Chinese models.

12 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

How about Ford starting its own battery company and not relying on another country, especially China, with unstable governments. Tesla makes it's own batteries and is not supply constrained. 

Why? Because ROI would be less. And that means less money for executive bonuses and salaries and investors. The greed will never stop.

36 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

How about Ford starting its own battery company and not relying on another country, especially China, with unstable governments. Tesla makes it's own batteries and is not supply constrained. 

Ford has already indicated that they are not interested in producing batteries for the current generation of the technology and would look to third party suppliers. The original intent was to potentially bring this in-house for the next generation (solid state) technology. The felt is was a poor investment in a limited life-span technology.

I saw this about a year or so ago on an Autoline weekly segment.

• Like 2

Where are most of the minerals like lithium currently mined?  And at it's cheapest to obtain?

Because of that, it only makes sense to make current lithium ion batteries over there.  Which is why Telsa is even making them over there...

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

So much for bashing GM for imported "Chinese" Buicks.

I love it when another sacred cow bites the dust.

Did you read the article/quote?

The second sentence says this :

Ford's China venture with Changan Automobile is seeking government approval to build a plug-in hybrid model equipped with BYD's batteries, according to the document.

That indicates this is a deal aimed at vehicles for the Chinese market.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

The point being if you think these vehicles either wont be "federalized" for U.S. roads in the future-OR the basis for electric vehicles in the U.S. (especially the batteries-one of the most expensive components) you are kidding yourselves.

5 hours ago, 92merc said:

Where are most of the minerals like lithium currently mined? 

Australia has been #1 in lithium mining and production in recent years, but the largest Li reserves (over half the earth's estimated total) are in an area of South America called "Lithium Triangle". 

Lithium-Triangle-Map.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

The point being if you think these vehicles either wont be "federalized" for U.S. roads in the future-OR the basis for electric vehicles in the U.S. (especially the batteries-one of the most expensive components) you are kidding yourselves.

If and when that happens we can discuss it.  Until then it’s a non issue.  Were they supposed to import the batteries to China?

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Australia has been #1 in lithium mining and production in recent years, but the largest Li reserves (over half the earth's estimated total) are in an area of South America called "Lithium Triangle". 

Lithium-Triangle-Map.jpg

All of that may change, my country Australia is now being punished by China for being outspoken on an independent inquiry into what happened with the spread of the virus 

China smacked us with an 80% tariff on barley and is looking to cut other resources like coal but blinked with steel...

maybe we should squirrel grip them and stop exporting everything including lithium.......

Just kidding, we need our exports more than ever.....

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AGR said:

A large lithium mine in Northern Nevada is about to go online: 

https://www.ktvn.com/story/38989830/nevada-mine-could-produce-25-percent-of-worlds-lithium

Now that's interesting because for the past few years, current lithium mines have been over supplying the market 

and driving the price down which has lead to a couple of Mines being temporarily closed. If America proceeds with

local supply of lithium in 2022, then that signals its intention to take lithium battery production from start to finish

in house in North America, the ramifications of that are huge, most likely driving down  the price of batteries much

quicker than carmakers would be projecting. At the very least, it keeps all that business activity in North America.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

Lithium is NOT the most expensive part of the battery.  It is cobalt, which is much more scarce.

Luckily, for the past 5 or 10 years, battery manufacturers have been adjusting the chemistry to lower the amount of cobalt in each battery.

Yes sir, thank you theoldwizard. BYD recently showed off its cobalt-free Blade Battery pack design concept. The cells use LiFePO4 chemistry.

BYD-unveils-the-volumetric-and-gravimetr

The only two countries in the world that have a crap ton of cobalt are democratic republic of Congo and Australia.

It's usually found in conjunction with copper and nickel mining but yes, Annode and cathode  chemistry is moving

away from cobalt.

Edited by jpd80

I'm old, and all my driving life I have heard "...foreign oil...is bad...must not rely on foreign oil..."

Now we produce all the oil we need domestically, but are jumping right in to relying on foreign batteries and foreign solar panels...trading one foreign energy dependency for another. 

Why was foreign oil produced by enemies bad, but foreign solar panels and batteries produced by enemies somehow OK? 

The ways of the world just continue to be completely irrational.

Edited by Kev-Mo

38 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

I'm old, and all my driving life I have heard "...foreign oil...is bad...must not rely on foreign oil..."

Now we produce all the oil we need domestically, but are jumping right in to relying on foreign batteries and foreign solar panels...trading one foreign energy dependency for another. 

Why was foreign oil produced by enemies bad, but foreign solar panels and batteries produced by enemies somehow OK? 

I heard the "foreign oil is bad" stuff too. But foreign oil isn't bad because it's foreign. Same deal with foreign batteries, solar panels, cars, bananas, comic books, or any other foreign goods and services.

3 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Amazing how you can galvanise a nation by branding groups or countries as enemies.

Fortunately, the US is still a democracy and there's good processes in place to ensure

that trade imbalances are addressed.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I heard the "foreign oil is bad" stuff too. But foreign oil isn't bad because it's foreign. Same deal with foreign batteries, solar panels, cars, bananas, comic books, or any other foreign goods and services.

It’s not that the foreign goods are bad, just that it has left us significantly less middle income factory jobs.  I worked in the inner city for 12 years, where there are so many bombed out factory buildings and large empty spaces where factories used to be.  The service industry never sufficiently replaced those jobs with comparable wage jobs.  Not everyone is a rocket scientist justifying the expense of college.    So many more people used to be able make a decent living making things here with their labor.  Perhaps if we still had more manufacturing there would be more decent work opportunities for people And there wouldn’t be so many issues in the inner city.