Ford faces huge challenge as it launches 4 key models at frantic pace

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2020/06/06/ford-faces-huge-challenges-launches-4-big-new-models/3156206001/

I saw these two gaffs in the article:

The Bronco Sport — that name’s not official yet, Ford execs call it “the rugged small SUV” — is an attempt to expand the popularity of the Bronco name to a smaller SUV that become a significant moneymaker.

LMC Automotive estimates this schedule for Ford’s four big production launches:
  • F-150 at the Rouge Complex in Dearborn in September
  • Mustang Mach-E in Cuautitlan, Mexico, also in September
  • Bronco in Wayne, Michigan, in suburban Detroit in September
  • Bronco Sport in Louisville, Kentucky, in February 2021

It's the Free Press, that's why. Their fact checking is terrible. Has been for years. 

They still to this day haven't retracted their projection (10 minutes after the polls closed, I should add) that Hillary won Michigan in 2016, and their weak-ass explanation was just that. 

They have zero credibility in my mind. 

I've seen multiple websites claiming the Sport name isn't official, it's not just FREEP.  I was actually going to come back here and ask you guys about that because of it.

I still think the sport name is trash, so if there's a chance Ford will fix that mistake I'm all aboard.

34 minutes ago, probowler said:

I've seen multiple websites claiming the Sport name isn't official, it's not just FREEP.  I was actually going to come back here and ask you guys about that because of it.

I still think the sport name is trash, so if there's a chance Ford will fix that mistake I'm all aboard.

The mistakes in that article are it being built in Louisville and Bronco production starting in September. The latter is especially bad since they were the ones to report it being delayed 2 months. 

37 minutes ago, probowler said:

I guess I’m fine with the name, but they really need to rework the badges they put on this vehicle. This is about the worst implementation of a name badge I can recall in any vehicle.ford-bronco-sport-4-jpg-jpg.3100

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's the Free Press, that's why. Their fact checking is terrible. Has been for years. .......They have zero credibility in my mind. 

Yep, the Free Press is a shadow of its former self.  The downhill slide began when Knight-Ridder sold the paper to Gannett in 2005.  Sad really, how far they've fallen.  I much rather read the Detroit News.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Yep, the Free Press is a shadow of its former self.  The downhill slide began when Knight-Ridder sold the paper to Gannett in 2005.  Sad really, how far they've fallen.  I much rather read the Detroit News.

Pretty much every media outlet is a shadow of its former self these days.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's the Free Press, that's why. Their fact checking is terrible. Has been for years. 

They still to this day haven't retracted their projection (10 minutes after the polls closed, I should add) that Hillary won Michigan in 2016, and their weak-ass explanation was just that. 

You mean news outlets are supposed to report facts?

You wouldn't know it these days.

• Like 4

Well, the headline sure didn't match the content. The Escape launch went great, and the baby Bronco is based off same platform and powertrain. Ditto for Bronco/Ranger. The new F-150 is basically a refresh with new interior.....no huge challenge there. Only the MachE remains as the biggest challenge, and even that is debatable as it will have fewer moving parts. So there is no connection between subject and content. Journalism 101. 

The way the article talked about the mach e, it makes me wonder why it costs so much. Manufacturing is easier, design and engineering are easier, the only negative cost wise is the batteries. Are batteries really so expensive that they offset those advantages to make the vehicle actually cost thousands more than an ICE vehicle?

8 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I guess I’m fine with the name, but they really need to rework the badges they put on this vehicle. This is about the worst implementation of a name badge I can recall in any vehicle.ford-bronco-sport-4-jpg-jpg.3100

I get that they want to make the Bronco "Sub Brand" a thing, but they're implementing this well at all. It's just like the front grill, rather than keeping it classic, they did that big ridiculous B R O N C O grill.

It should look like this: 

hqdefault.jpg.b4230cb9d91a47b09bcc2438c536649c.jpg

Not this:

2021-Ford-Bronco-2.png

Yes, I get that there are multiple grills but making what will most likely be default grill so ugly on such an important vehicle is a big mistake IMO

Edited by probowler

4 minutes ago, probowler said:

I get that they want to make the Bronco "Sub Brand" a thing, but they're implementing this well at all. It's just like the front grill, rather than keeping it classic, they did that big ridiculous B R O N C O grill.

It should look like this: 

hqdefault.jpg.b4230cb9d91a47b09bcc2438c536649c.jpg

Not this:

2021-Ford-Bronco-2.png

Yes, I get that there are multiple grills but making what will most likely be default grill so ugly on such an important vehicle is a big mistake IMO

I liked the grille that just said “Ford” better. I thought I remembered someone saying that the FOrd grille would still be offered. I wonder if that will be the “classic” version of the grille that was mentioned?2020-bronco_header.jpg

screen-shot-2020-03-09-at-11-29-49-am-15

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Well, the headline sure didn't match the content. The Escape launch went great, and the baby Bronco is based off same platform and powertrain. Ditto for Bronco/Ranger. The new F-150 is basically a refresh with new interior.....no huge challenge there. Only the MachE remains as the biggest challenge, and even that is debatable as it will have fewer moving parts. So there is no connection between subject and content. Journalism 101. 

The irony is that you probably knew the original planning six months ago, while this guy was.....nevermind.

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would like it more if it were A. On the actual Bronco and B. Not painted white.

Do you think it’s painted? It’s hard to tell if it’s actually painted or some stick on plastic letters. Isn’t it also supposed to be lit up?

34 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Do you think it’s painted? It’s hard to tell if it’s actually painted or some stick on plastic letters. Isn’t it also supposed to be lit up?

It's hard to tell from a picture if it's painted or colored plastic. Could be either one but I don't see them designing a piece of trim that requires 6 individual snap on letters so they’re probably painted. 

Dunno if that one is supposed to be lit up, haven't seen any indication of that on the Sport, but the leaked Bronco picture appeared to have light up letters. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Farley wants Fall launches.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:19 AM, probowler said:

I don't get the "Sport" name either. It's the name of a trim line like my Sport Hybrid. Ford uses the Sport name a lot in its trim lines. I wouldn't bring back the Bronco ll name, but even that is better than naming it after a trim line. It needs a rugged name that connotes offroading. 

A lot of other manufacturers have been doing "sport" lately to give another smaller model some recognition from another well-regarded model.  Think Rogue -> Rogue Sport. Range Rover -> Range Rover Sport, etc..

I kinda wish they were a little more unique with the branding, but whatever.