Ford faces huge challenge as it launches 4 key models at frantic pace

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I don't get the "Sport" name either. It's the name of a trim line like my Sport Hybrid. Ford uses the Sport name a lot in its trim lines. I wouldn't bring back the Bronco ll name, but even that is better than naming it after a trim line. It needs a rugged name that connotes offroading. 

Ford has dropped all Sport branding in its products as of the launch of the Explorer in 2019 and the Edge Sport becoming the ST. 

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

A lot of other manufacturers have been doing "sport" lately to give another smaller model some recognition from another well-regarded model.  Think Rogue -> Rogue Sport. Range Rover -> Range Rover Sport, etc..

I kinda wish they were a little more unique with the branding, but whatever.

Ford, always following the trend and never leading ?

58 minutes ago, probowler said:

Ford, always following the trend and never leading ?

Don't forge Hyundai and Kia have Sport trimlines. Also, Subaru has the Forester Sport and just announced the Crosstrek Sport. Ford also just showed the Explorer "Sport" appearance package. Enough SPORT already. Ford has had enough time to come up with a cool name that fits the image they are trying to convey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The 1991 Explorer Sport begs to differ.....

You mean the 2-door Ford Explorer? Not sure what a Ford Explorer has to do with the Bronco Sport, which is a derivative of the Ford Escape but randomly has the Bronco name in it.  Besides sharing the sport name, they aren't comparable at all. The 2-door and 4-door Explorer are the same model, while the Bronco sport and Bronco are completely separate platforms.

Edited by probowler

1 hour ago, probowler said:

You mean the 2-door Ford Explorer? Not sure what a Ford Explorer has to do with the Bronco Sport, which is a derivative of the Ford Escape but randomly has the Bronco name in it.  Besides sharing the sport name, they aren't comparable at all. The 2-door and 4-door Explorer are the same model, while the Bronco sport and Bronco are completely separate platforms.

It’s still the same idea using Sport on a smaller model of the same sub brand.  Explorer, Explorer Sport, Explorer Sport Trac.

And if you don’t see any relation between Bronco and Bronco Sport you’re not paying attention.

8 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s still the same idea using Sport on a smaller model of the same sub brand.  Explorer, Explorer Sport, Explorer Sport Trac.

And if you don’t see any relation between Bronco and Bronco Sport you’re not paying attention.

The Explorer wasn't a sub brand, stop quit trying to rewrite history to make a point.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Not rewriting, just reporting.  What part of Explorer, Explorer Sport and Explorer Sport Trac was incorrect?

Your imaginary sub brand. The Explorer was never a sub brand, all of those vehicles you listed are just modified Ford Explorers, not unique vehicles.

Edited by probowler

11 minutes ago, probowler said:

Your imaginary sub brand. The Explorer was never a sub brand, all of those vehicles you listed are just modified Ford Explorers, not unique vehicles.

Pardon me.  I was unaware of the rule that sub brands must consist of only unique vehicles.

You better tell Ford because they probably think the 2 door and 4 door Bronco are part of the new sub brand.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Pardon me.  I was unaware of the rule that sub brands must consist of only unique vehicles.

You better tell Ford because they probably think the 2 door and 4 door Bronco are part of the new sub brand.

That's the new Bronco, which they ARE making into a sub brand, along with the Mustang. However The Explorer wasn't a sub brand, neither was the focus, and neither was the old Bronco when it and the Bronco II were still around together.

Just stop already.

7 minutes ago, probowler said:

That's the new Bronco, which they ARE making into a sub brand, along with the Mustang. However The Explorer wasn't a sub brand, neither was the focus, and neither was the old Bronco when it and the Bronco II were still around together.

Just stop already.

Your Bronco/Bronco II example is even better - if having two different size models sharing a name with an added designation (II) - a fullsize Bronco, and midsize Bronco II isn't a subbrand/brand family, then I don't know what is.

I'd classify that as an example of sub-brand.  So it's really not like it's unprecedented for Ford to do this, given they ALREADY did it with BRONCO.

As for the Explorer/Explorer Sport/Explorer Sport Trac debate, I'd view that more as an example of body variants (i.e. F-150 SuperCab vs. SuperCrew) than sub brand.

Another example of body variants would be like the original Bronco, which had the roadster (may have the terminology incorrect), wagon, and half cab/mini bed options available.  Or a Mustang coupe vs. convertible - where the vehicle is clearly the same vehicle, but a difference to it.  In this sense, you could've considered the original '97 Expedition a "F-150 wagon" as they shared front clips/interiors.

Edited by rmc523

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Your Bronco/Bronco II example is even better - if having two different size models sharing a name with an added designation (II) - a fullsize Bronco, and midsize Bronco II isn't a subbrand/brand family, then I don't know what is.

Yes, but it wasn't marketed or sold as a sub brand.  There was no special Bronco family, it was just Ford Family.

10 minutes ago, probowler said:

Yes, but it wasn't marketed or sold as a sub brand.  There was no special Bronco family, it was just Ford Family.

You're telling me Ford never advertised them as a Bronco family?  I don't know, but I find that hard to believe that they were never presented as any sort of Bronco family.

---

Also, it's not as if the Ford brand will be ignored in presenting Bronco and Bronco sport - they are very much a part of the "Ford family".  It's just that they're spreading those Bronco characteristics to multiple models - just like they did with Bronco and Bronco II.

Edited by rmc523

23 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

You're telling me Ford never advertised them as a Bronco family?  I don't know, but I find that hard to believe that they were never presented as any sort of Bronco family.

---

Also, it's not as if the Ford brand will be ignored in presenting Bronco and Bronco sport - they are very much a part of the "Ford family".  It's just that they're spreading those Bronco characteristics to multiple models - just like they did with Bronco and Bronco II.

It's hard to remember that long ago so I'm not 100% sure... but I do know there was never any special explorer family which is the main debate.. Do you remember this supposed Explorer sub brand?

Yeah there was a 2-door, but it was just a different body style. Hell, the Focus had 3 body styles at one point, but it was always just a Ford Focus, nothing special.

Actually Bronco and Bronco II is a better example.  Bronco II was smaller and built on a completely different platform but still carried the Bronco name.

Just like Bronco Sport.

F series is also a sub brand.  F-150, 250/350, 450/550, etc.  At least 3 different platforms and sizes all F series.

10 hours ago, probowler said:

It's hard to remember that long ago so I'm not 100% sure... but I do know there was never any special explorer family which is the main debate.. Do you remember this supposed Explorer sub brand?

Yeah there was a 2-door, but it was just a different body style. Hell, the Focus had 3 body styles at one point, but it was always just a Ford Focus, nothing special.

Did you read my post?  I agreed that the 3 Explorers were more body variants than a sub brand.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:55 PM, probowler said:

Yeah, The Ford one is where it's at! I like that. I don't know why but the bigger Bronco one doesn't do it for me.

overkill...keep it simple....perhaps ship them ALL with one grill and then have alternatives avail for easy changeout from the Parts dept...