Ford faces huge challenge as it launches 4 key models at frantic pace

6 hours ago, akirby said:

I remember buying a Honda Civic in 1988 and a Honda Accord in 1990.  You picked color and trim level - DX, LX, EX and maybe dealer installed A/C.  That was it.  

We had two Accords, a 2000 Coupe and a 2003 Sedan, and I remember being irritated regarding the lack of available options within the trim lines.  I’m not a fan of that type of system.   

On 6/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah that ain't happening for all 4.... 

Also doesn't change the fact that Freep fact checking is terrible and they got multiple things wrong and ran with it anyway. 

I wasn't referencing Freep.

17 hours ago, tbone said:

I was looking at the SuperDuty order guide and it is definitely more extensive than the F150.  I think they need to do a better job of grouping options as it seems like there are some things missing from the option groups.  With that said, I’m one of the 10% that generally orders their vehicles, so I would hate to loose that ability.  

The Super Duty order guides are more extensive because of the additional options, etc. available for the wide variety of commercial applications for the vehicles. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 6:04 PM, probowler said:

As someone who plans to build my own Bronco, yeah.

I honestly don't understand how that is confusing at all? And if someone is looking through an order book (whether it's simple or not) it seems like they're potentially far past buying something off the lot, so once a customer reaches that stage, why not give them exactly what they want?

It just plain doesn't make any sense to me to force ship a car with Grill A when the customer wants grill C, and it would be so easy to just put grill C on at the factory, especially if the customer has already resolved to custom build, versus ordering off the lot. Why make the customer go through the hassle of replacing the part or scheduling an appointment to change something after the fact?

absolutely does..its called aftermarket...and its something the Bronco will embrace BIG time...several grill options just confuses initial ordering matrixes...you want a different grill...hey..its available through parts as a customer or dealer installed accessory...just like those custom wheels, rear tire cover, front winch and bumper options....Makes perfect sense to simplify the initial guid...NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE would refuse to buy a Bronco because it only came from the factory with one grill when several options were avail from Ford Performance...no offence, but that's a ridiculous statement. And it sure wont stop me ordering mine knowing full well if I want to change it out that option is avail when I want..

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deanh said:

absolutely does..its called aftermarket...and its something the Bronco will embrace BIG time...several grill options just confuses initial ordering matrixes...you want a different grill...hey..its available through parts as a customer or dealer installed accessory...just like those custom wheels, rear tire cover, front winch and bumper options....Makes perfect sense to simplify the initial guid...NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE would refuse to buy a Bronco because it only came from the factory with one grill when several options were avail from Ford Performance...no offence, but that's a ridiculous statement. And it sure wont stop me ordering mine knowing full well if I want to change it out that option is avail when I want.

I get the feeling that some people don't understand the complexity of the dealer ordering system,

they see Ford's on line Configurator and most rattle though the process in a few minutes.

Want a different grille? Just go down to the dealer and get him to click on whatever and presto, job done....

Meanwhile, the salesman spins his screen around to  the buyer and says show me how without throwing

up a bunch of conflicts in the system that stops the order innings tracks......am I right guys?

43 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I get the feeling that some people don't understand the complexity of the dealer ordering system,

they see Ford's on line Configurator and most rattle though the process in a few minutes.

Want a different grille? Just go down to the dealer and get him to click on whatever and presto, job done....

Meanwhile, the salesman spins his screen around to  the buyer and says show me how without throwing

up a bunch of conflicts in the system that stops the order innings tracks......am I right guys?

That's Fords fault, not the customers. They implement the "conflicts" No reason Grill Option Charlie can't fit onto ANY Bronco other than Ford saying no, Ford, Ford saying this grill can only come on the basic model, or the Platinum model. That's a real easy fix brother, don't code any conflicts and there won't be any, cool?

Obviously there will be always be some conflicts. Sometimes features conflict, and you can't order multiple different audio systems; But we're not talking about anything fancy here, we're talking about grills. Get over yourself lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

100%...and Probowler is also right...its Fords fault for letting it spiral out of control...they do it NOW with their on line builds when customers don't understand when they check ACCESORIES on their wish lists ..some which aren't even available yet. Keep the initial ordering simple...aftermarket should be listed ( with pricing ) as avail from the Dealers Parts dept. They also need to explain installation is NOT included in the accessories price....had that battle a few as well..Grilles could also be added as an accessory for additional charge, but basically that's just the same as what Ive outlined...yeah, you can get a different grille...just order as an accessory or from Parts.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, probowler said:

That's Fords fault, not the customers. They implement the "conflicts" No reason Grill Option Charlie can't fit onto ANY Bronco other than Ford saying no, Ford, Ford saying this grill can only come on the basic model, or the Platinum model. That's a real easy fix brother, don't code any conflicts and there won't be any, cool?

Obviously there will be always be some conflicts. Sometimes features conflict, and you can't order multiple different audio systems; But we're not talking about anything fancy here, we're talking about grills. Get over yourself lol

Agree...you do realise that grill is to cook food or question someone, grille is a grate covering.

I'm of the opinion that Ford either deliberately makes their ordering system hard to follow or is just

incompetent in setting up the system in the first place, the fact that they do little to correct the problem

says a lot about the subsurface disconnect with closing the loop on effective ordering, they're outlier

orders that maybe do not matter? Slipping through the cracks?

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Agree...you do realise that grill is to cook food or question someone, grille is a grate covering.

lol...trust me...I had to go back and edit for EXACTLY the same reason...Ill take the Trager for $200 Alex....lol...

2 minutes ago, Deanh said:

lol...trust me...I had to go back and edit for EXACTLY the same reason...Ill take the Trager for $200 Alex....lol...

With my record of corrections due to iPad autotext, I really shouldn't be criticising anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I'm of the opinion that Ford either deliberately makes their ordering system hard to follow or is just

incompetent in setting up the system in the first place, the fact that they do little to correct the problem

says a lot about the subsurface disconnect with closing the loop on effective ordering, they're outlier

orders that maybe do not matter? Slipping through the cracks?

There's a lot of incompetence at Ford and it's not new. Perhaps it's a method by design for job security but there are entire departments and divisions that are so badly managed it's makes you wonder who's minding the store.

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

There's a lot of incompetence at Ford and it's not new. Perhaps it's a method by design for job security but there are entire departments and divisions that are so badly managed it's makes you wonder who's minding the store.

to me its simple...anything such as wheels, in this case Grilles, appearance add ons like fender flares,  LED fog lights, etc etc ...should all be avail through Ford Performance and over the counter at the Parts Dept. Mopar does it, Jeep does it...if the core design is good enough, and I have HIGH hopes indeed for the Bronco, keep it basic to about 3 packages and leave the customizing  fun up to the consumer, whilst keeping the MSRP down a tad. Give the consumer that cant afford the BLING model,  to basically, according to his wallet and desire, tweek his cheaper unit to get to 90% of the upper range model....its FUN to customize, and the market is huge. Stereos is another area Ford needs to look at...in line add on amps, plug in subwoofers, upgrade speakers etc etc...SO much potential....and then send catalogs outlining add ons to those that purchase Broncos...( or F-150s, or Rangers or.... ) They are getting there...but it could be so much better...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Yes but I'm talking Job 1 will be next year.

That was a given with current events...the question of the hour is how much will it be delayed? Can they launch at the end of January or will it be the end of February? It starts warming up in March in the southern half of the US and northern parts can have nice days, but I don't expect to be able to drive without the top til May or so where I live LOL

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That was a given with current events...the question of the hour is how much will it be delayed? Can they launch at the end of January or will it be the end of February? It starts warming up in March in the southern half of the US and northern parts can have nice days, but I don't expect to be able to drive without the top til May or so where I live LOL

I know the answer but I don't want to say and get in trouble 

2 hours ago, probowler said:

Have you heard of a sock-puppet account? You gotta change up your name, yo. Also who's that guy from work you really hate? Might make a good username ?

Yeah here's the problem with that

Theres a lot of IT dorks that work for the company that could figure it out

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I know the answer but I don't want to say and get in trouble 

I'm going with the assumption that Ford doesn't want to delay the Bronco any more then it can, but economic realities might play havoc with that...since extra $$$ spent on OT, for example, wouldn't be made up with more sales or the like.  

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, fordmantpw said:

Ahhh, I miss my Bronco II, the little POS.

Yeah, I miss my 1985 Bright Blue Bronco ll also. Put 225,000 miles on it over 10 years and still sold it for $1,500 in 1995. Trans went on it at 58,000 miles, but second one lasted almost 175,000 miles. Little Cologne V-6 was bulletproof with only main seal leak whe I sold it. That thing was really good in the snow. Even backed up a steep driveway with heavy trailer in deep snow with it. Only got stuck once, and that was because I went down an unplowed street after a 2 feet of snow blizzard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, I miss my 1985 Bright Blue Bronco ll also. Put 225,000 miles on it over 10 years and still sold it for $1,500 in 1995. Trans went on it at 58,000 miles, but second one lasted almost 175,000 miles. Little Cologne V-6 was bulletproof with only main seal leak whe I sold it. That thing was really good in the snow. Even backed up a steep driveway with heavy trailer in deep snow with it. Only got stuck once, and that was because I went down an unplowed street after a 2 feet of snow blizzard. 

Mine had the original tranny when I traded it with 160k on the clock.  It was, however, in need of it's 5th engine.  I replaced the original engine with one out of a wrecked Ranger at 120k.  That engine cracked the heads and was drinking coolant with <100k on it, so I replaced it with a reman.  It cracked the heads (at the same place it was welded to fix it as part of the reman) inside the 12 month warranty, so it was replaced under warranty (thankfully my future father-in-law was a mechanic and didn't charge my poor college ass any labor to swap them).  When I traded it in, that second reman was leaking coolant again.  Ugh.  It was gutless, but good in the snow.  It was my first vehicle, so I still miss it.

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Mine had the original tranny when I traded it with 160k on the clock.  It was, however, in need of it's 5th engine.  I replaced the original engine with one out of a wrecked Ranger at 120k.  That engine cracked the heads and was drinking coolant with <100k on it, so I replaced it with a reman.  It cracked the heads (at the same place it was welded to fix it as part of the reman) inside the 12 month warranty, so it was replaced under warranty (thankfully my future father-in-law was a mechanic and didn't charge my poor college ass any labor to swap them).  When I traded it in, that second reman was leaking coolant again.  Ugh.  It was gutless, but good in the snow.  It was my first vehicle, so I still miss it.

I seem to remember you talking about your Bronco on here before. Good memories. The Bronco II seems to have a following now. Its high center of gravity and resulting class action suit seems to be forgotten now. I remember I got a tape in the mail showing me how to drive from the court results. Never tipped it over though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I seem to remember you talking about your Bronco on here before. Good memories. The Bronco II seems to have a following now. Its high center of gravity and resulting class action suit seems to be forgotten now. I remember I got a tape in the mail showing me how to drive from the court results. Never tipped it over though.

Its slightly amazing what came of Bronco II...it basically became THE Modern SUV that nearly every vehicle that came after it (the Explorer) emulated. So it shows Ford sometimes knows how to pull a victory out of the jaws of defeat. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its slightly amazing what came of Bronco II...it basically became THE Modern SUV that nearly every vehicle that came after it (the Explorer) emulated. So it shows Ford sometimes knows how to pull a victory out of the jaws of defeat. 

Too bad the Detroit Lions never figured it out after all these years. Always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3