Nikola wants to crush the F150

coupe3w

If Nikola beats Ford, GM, and Tesla as the first company to mass produce a truly capable BEV pickup truck, and can sustain its first mover advantage, it has a good chance of joining the big leagues.

The optional FCEV + BEV configuration for their Badger truck seems unnecessarily complex and expensive. Do pickup truck users really need 600 miles of range?

nikola_badger1-2d1218af6f41db80d257abf35

From the Wall Street Journal . . . 

Electric-Truck Startup Nikola Bolts Past Ford in Market Value
Phoenix-based Nikola, which hasn’t yet sold any vehicles, has targeted the commercial trucking sector,.
-Truck Startup Nikola Bolts Past Ford in Market Value

By 
Ben Foldy
Updated June 9, 2020 10:50 pm ET

The market value of Nikola Corp., NKLA -18.46% a little-known electric-truck startup that went public last week, has surged past that of Ford -5.94% Motor Co. and other car companies in recent days, as investors continue to bet on the growth potential of electric transportation.

Shares of Nikola, which is developing commercial and passenger vehicles using batteries and hydrogen fuel-cell technology, have more than doubled since they began trading publicly on Thursday.

The startup’s market capitalization eclipsed $30 billion in intraday trading Tuesday, higher than Ford’s value of about $28.8 billion andFiat Chrysler Automobiles FCAU -3.83% NV of about $20.5 billion.

Phoenix-based Nikola, which hasn’t yet sold any vehicles, has targeted the commercial trucking sector, where companies like Amazon.comInc. AMZN 1.79% and United Parcel Service Inc. have pledged to reduce the carbon footprint of their logistics operations. The company has also signaled it intends to nose into the pickup market for individual consumers, the most profitable segment of the U.S. car market.

Amazing.  A vaporware company that has yet to make any vehicles.  From Automotive News:

“People are looking at this as the next Tesla, and they’re being stupid. Investors are being ridiculous,” Sam Abuelsamid, a transportation analyst at research firm Guidehouse Insights, said by phone."

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what happens with this company. This is a nice looking truck, and if they can deliver with good specs at a reasonable price, it should do well.   It certainly is a much better looking product than the cartoonish Cyber Truck.  However the only think it will do to the F150 is increase Ford’s resolve to lead the competition in this category.  Trucks are one area that Ford does  commit to.  

An interesting observation from many of the young people that I know, is they like loud cars, exhaust wise. There have been a bunch of unofficial car meetups in my area with cars and trucks, kind of like what is portrayed in the Fast and Furious movies.  Just when I thought young people were loosing interest in cars I’m pleasantly surprised to see I could be wrong, at least in my area.  With that said, I wonder how they feel about the lack of sound from electric cars and trucks, and what their interest is like in them.  

4 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Can Ford just release their electric truck soon to stop hearing from the Vaporware companies looking for cash?

I hope Ford is the first to mass produce a capable BEV pickup truck. Not because of what "vaporware companies" are doing, but because Ford's own future depends on it.

54 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

I hope Ford is the first to mass produce a capable BEV pickup truck. Not because of what "vaporware companies" are doing, but because Ford's own future depends on it.

Henry Ford was quite possibly the first industrialist that was also an avid conservationist, insisting on developing new ideas on how to use alternative methods of manufacturing and natural products in the construction of his line of cars... BEV propulsion is nothing new in the automotive world and I am sure that "Hank the 1st" would be pleased with his companies progress in this area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

I am pretty sure Ford's future will be in jeopardy if the ICE/HYBRID/PHEV products they are introducing in the next few years are not well received. The electric F150 will be great to show they can produce a capable (hopefully) electric pickup. An electric pickup with demand/volume limitations will not be the decider of it's future anytime soon.

3 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I am pretty sure (fill in the blank) future will be in jeopardy if the ICE/HYBRID/PHEV products they are introducing in the next few years are not well received. 

This statement applies to any vehicle made any any car/truck manufacturer on the planet.  If you're the CEO of a car company, you make your decision and hope it's the right one.  As with most things in life, there are no guarantees.

23 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

This statement applies to any vehicle made any any car/truck manufacturer on the planet.  If you're the CEO of a car company, you make your decision and hope it's the right one.  As with most things in life, there are no guarantees.

I think you missed the point on that statement. I was merely trying to say Fords future relies way more on ICE than any electric car/truck in the near future. 

9 hours ago, twintornados said:

Henry Ford was quite possibly the first industrialist that was also an avid conservationist, insisting on developing new ideas on how to use alternative methods of manufacturing and natural products in the construction of his line of cars... BEV propulsion is nothing new in the automotive world and I am sure that "Hank the 1st" would be pleased with his companies progress in this area.

You are right about that.  I watch this show called Mysteries of the Abandoned, and they have profiled a few of Henry Ford’s attempts to control all the inputs to his factories with “Fordlandia” in Brazil for rubber, and the Nuttalberg  Coal Mining Complex in West Virginia, which Ford used all of its coal output for the factories in Detroit. Pretty interesting history, particularly Fordlandia.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tbone said:

You are right about that.  I watch this show called Mysteries of the Abandoned, and they have profiled a few of Henry Ford’s attempts to control all the inputs to his factories with “Fordlandia” in Brazil for rubber, and the Nuttalberg  Coal Mining Complex in West Virginia, which Ford used all of its coal output for the factories in Detroit. Pretty interesting history, particularly Fordlandia.  

I like that show.

48 minutes ago, tbone said:

Me too. The narrators/experts can be a bit dramatic at times, but I find the content very interesting usually.  

Oh of course - they have to make it dramatic for extra interest, but agree, it's interesting.