Question for Mach E Reservation Holders

With the launch of the Bronco rumored to go off similarly to the Mach E in that you'll be able to reserve one on announcement day and whatnot, I had a question to those who have Mach E reservations.

Has anyone had Ford contact you about actually ordering your Mach E and choosing options beyond that initial reservation?

I recall the Mach E reservation thing only having "trims" like select, premier, first edition and GT, but no real option choices beyond that.....my presumption has been that you're essentially just reserving a place in line, as I doubt Ford has been able to cut option package combos to just the 4-5 "trims" that you reserved but I'm curious if you're locked into that specific choice when it comes to finalize your order.  Like say you reserved a premier, but want to change to a GT when you order?   I presume the only unavailable switch would be trying to go from anything TO the First Edition, which I believe were quantity limited and are all reserved.

I realize the reservations can be cancelled, but you'd then lose your place in line.

My reason in asking is that I'm curious - what if you reserve trim A, but option XYZ you want only comes on trim B, can you just change your reservation to trim B when time to order?

It's obviously a new way of ordering a vehicle for Ford, so I'm trying to learn how the process works for when Bronco is shown.  Any info would be helpful, and thanks in advance!

When I did the reservation, I picked the level, options, color, etc.  I haven't received 2 emails, and 2 calls from the local "prefered" dealership I picked.  Last call I received was to ask me if I were still interested.  Told them yes and asked when they thought the GT would be available.  I was told in Spring of 21, and I'm like 'Well if I'm not dead, then I guess we are still on track"...

Yes, communication has been disappointingly minimal. Original we were supposed to “lock in” in May I believe? My assumption is changes will be possible when the order is confirmed(they’ve added colors, so at a minimum I expect you can change that). 

Reserved white, leaning red. 

2 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

When I did the reservation, I picked the level, options, color, etc.  I haven't received 2 emails, and 2 calls from the local "prefered" dealership I picked.  Last call I received was to ask me if I were still interested.  Told them yes and asked when they thought the GT would be available.  I was told in Spring of 21, and I'm like 'Well if I'm not dead, then I guess we are still on track"...

Hm, when I click the "reserve now" button on the Mach E site, the only things you're able to choose are which trim level, range/drive wheels, and an exterior/interior color with no other options.

Sorry I had just woken up barely starting my coffee when I answered that...Yes that's about all you can pick from, I picked GT, Black on Black, I think the wheels (I forgot I'm not big on wheels) and the range, that was it.  When they called me, they were pretty much testing how committed I was. Told them I had just purchased an MKZ some months before, and interested in a Ranger for later part of this year, but that's ok this could serve as a third vehicle for me, or just get rid of the MKZ for the Mach3, didn't matter.  Then she sort of left it with "Well we hope we can meet in the next few months as more information is made available to us, to narrow down options and such". I didn't inquire "When do you think...what might that be" because it was honestly during a time I was remodeling a rental of mine and I had noise in the background.  But they have called twice, and sent an email.

Hmm, interesting.  So sounds like there may be more available.

Thanks for chiming in - I was just curious with it being a different way of doing it, and with Bronco likely to follow that same path, I wanted to have some more info before it comes out (since I've been waiting to get one).

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Hmm, interesting.  So sounds like there may be more available.

Thanks for chiming in - I was just curious with it being a different way of doing it, and with Bronco likely to follow that same path, I wanted to have some more info before it comes out (since I've been waiting to get one).

Unless I missed something... Since when did Ford say anything that the Bronco ordering and scheduling process was going to be similar to the Mustang Mach-E? Bronco/Bronco Sport are both regular production models as opposed to the Mustang Mach-E.

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Unless I missed something... Since when did Ford say anything that the Bronco ordering and scheduling process was going to be similar to the Mustang Mach-E? Bronco/Bronco Sport are both regular production models as opposed to the Mustang Mach-E.

What about the Mach E is not a "regular production model"?

They haven't said that about Bronco, but the rumor is it'll follow the same reservation system.

20 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

What about the Mach E is not a "regular production model"?

They haven't said that about Bronco, but the rumor is it'll follow the same reservation system.

2021MY Mustang Mach-E production is limited to 50,000 units total with half of that production destined for export markets. Bronco will be built at MAP (Michigan Assembly Plant) with the only limitation being plant capacity. 

10 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Borg/assimilator alluded to it before his latest hissy fit and subsequent self imposed hiatus. Not sure how likely that is but I, like you, am  hearing that the only limit to Bronco will be plant capacity. 

I do think there will be a limited run first edition though. They would be dumb not to have it IMO. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Borg/assimilator alluded to it before his latest hissy fit and subsequent self imposed hiatus. Not sure how likely that is but I, like you, am  hearing that the only limit to Bronco will be plant capacity. 

I do think there will be a limited run first edition though. They would be dumb not to have it IMO. 

I think that Borg was talking more about Bronco than Bronco Sport, the latter chalked in for 100k builds in the first year

kind of disqualifies it from the elite ordering process, something that the T6 Bronco might adopt in its first year?

Having a first edition build is kind of novel but can be used to lock in a specific build type for about half the limited builds.

Edited by jpd80

7 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I think that Borg was talking more about Bronco than Bronco Sport, the latter chalked in for 100k builds in the first year

kind of disqualifies it from the elite ordering process, something tat the T6 Bronco might adopt in its first year?

Given the demand for it, I can see Ford using a pre-ordering process in some form, but given its current financal condition, its not going to limit production at all on it. 

3 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Would you happen to know what MAP can produce at three shifts, both Ranger and Bronco?

It used to be over 300k when we were building the Focus, I'm pretty sure we did that in 2013 or 2014 when gas prices were at their peak. 

Not sure what we can do since the reconfiguration but if it's less than 250k I would be surprised. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

15 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Given the demand for it, I can see Ford using a pre-ordering process in some form, but given its current financal condition, its not going to limit production at all on it. 

Agreed. As I said earlier I can see them doing a limited run first edition model. I have neither seen or heard anything about any kind of artificial production limitation. 

53 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Agreed. As I said earlier I can see them doing a limited run first edition model. I have neither seen or heard anything about any kind of artificial production limitation. 

Ford has indicated a combined Bronco production limit of 150k in the  first year,

The assumed breakout is 50k T6 Bronco vs 100k for  Bronco Sport.

Edited by jpd80

Would Ford change the production split in the first year (or two) between Bronco and Ranger, given that Bronco presumably represents more profit per vehicle if demand for Bronco indicated they needed to do so? Seems like a lost profit opportunity otherwise should that prove to be the case.

Edited by Harley Lover

Unless there are capacity constraints, why would they want to limit production?  These aren’t supposed to be limited edition  vehicles.  Jeep certainly doesn’t have any limits.  Add another shift if necessary and pump them out to meet demand.  

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Would Ford change the production split in the first year (or two) between Bronco and Ranger, given that Bronco presumably represents more profit per vehicle if demand for Bronco indicated they needed to do so? Seems like a lost profit opportunity otherwise should that prove to be the case.

Bronco and Ranger are produced on separate lines at MAP. 

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Unless there are capacity constraints, why would they want to limit production?  These aren’t supposed to be limited edition  vehicles.  Jeep certainly doesn’t have any limits.  Add another shift if necessary and pump them out to meet demand.  

Bronco and Ranger are not limited production vehicles. The only constraint is plant capacity at MAP. The 2021 Mustang Mach-E is limited production of 50,000 units the first year, most likely due to contracts and availability of the battery packs. It's too early for any information on what the planned or potential production will be for the 2022MY Mustang Mach-E.  

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford has indicated a combined Bronco production limit of 150k in the  first year,

The assumed breakout is 50k T6 Bronco vs 100k for  Bronco Sport.

I thought it was 200K?

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/ford-plans-bronco-reveal-march-dealers-learn-details

I don't see that being an issue for the Bronco (at least the first year), but I'm interested how the Bronco Sport will impact Escape sales

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I thought it was 200K?

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/ford-plans-bronco-reveal-march-dealers-learn-details

I don't see that being an issue for the Bronco (at least the first year), but I'm interested how the Bronco Sport will impact Escape sales

I hope they take Jeep but Ford needs to stay sensible with pricing and not get too greedy too fast,

that's how Ford normally controls sales and production. That's also why I don't see Bronco Sport

impacting Escape as it will be priced a bit higher than buyers expect and then Bronco above that.

I'll give you a clue here,

Compass starts around $22k, Escape starts around $25k, Bronco Sport with etc AWD will be higher, maybe $27k

Wrangler starts at $28k and given the expected price of Bronco Sport, the Bronco will probably start about $32k.

Edited by jpd80