Next Generation Edge/Nautilus in doubt

2 minutes ago, oacnewbie said:

Oakville is a flex plant, the Flex/MKT ran on the D4 platform and the Edge runs on the CD4 platform.
If Oakville is going to survive I imagine we will have to upgrade to the C2 or CD6 platform eventually no?

edit: by eventually I mean within the next 2-3 years

Sounds to me like Oakville is safe...it's a "modern" plant and as Premierdrum points out, it would be extremely shortsighted to close in the current state of the market.

Going back to the original subject, the concern about the number of utilities and crossovers on the market seems to forget that’s what most buyers want now and manufacturers offering lots of choices is part of that - all the unnecessary vehicle  duplication Mulally used to  frown upon is exactly what’s needed today.

whatever step Ford takes with Edge also affects Nautilus as well, I don’t think scrapping Edge for dedicated BEVs in the midsized market is all that smart, especially if they start up around $50k.

How about we see sales depth of MME first, it could be a great vehicle that sees sales drop off after the first 12 months.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AGR said:

Is the source TTAC?  If so, why wouldn't we just call BS and move on?

I first seen the article on Automotive News Canada. Then on a few other sites, then on CBC news. Ford spokesperson shot it down saying they intend to stay in the 5 seat passenger suv market whatever that means. Yes Oakville is a big 5.5 million sq ft flex plant since 2006 when they merged Oakville assembly plant with the former Ontario Truck Plant.  So they get rid of poor selling flex mkt in Oakville. Then Fusion Mkx are going focus gone. I’m sure other than so called fusion active and ford courier compact truck on the way they have some other offerings. I know about e two BEV crossovers. Wonder what else is in there pipeline

11 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Maybe staying in the 5 passenger CUV segment means badge engineering the VW Atlas Sport!

That for sure is not going to happen.

I think Edge survives. If Edge uses C2 platform, it probably makes sense to build it with Fusion Active. I don't think Ford wants to setup C2 production at Cuautitlan and Hermosilo probably won't have enough room for Bronco Sport, Transit Connect, Maverick, Fusion Active, Edge, and Nautilus. So Oakville is definitely in play for build something.

I think Ford is content to use Cuautitlan for Mach E and any future EV. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, akirby said:

You guys are putting too much faith in what is almost certainly a contract leverage rumor.

That's not the way DetNews is framing it

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2020/06/16/future-ford-edge-and-canadian-plant-where-its-built-question/3202636001/

I tend to side with PD on this one but given what I've experienced in my time at MAP nothing would surprise me anymore. 

• Like 1

I find the rumor easy to believe.  Years ago I started a thread about the death of the Taurus based upon a TTAC article.  Most BON posters, especially Richard Jensen, scoffed.  That TTAC article was accurate. I won't be surprised if these articles about the Edge are accurate, even though there's a huge price gap between the Escape and Explorer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

I believe the Edge is the 4th best seller in the segment. 

Is it?  Since when?   I wasn't aware it had dropped, nor am I in the mood to look up numbers.

8 minutes ago, ehaase said:

I find the rumor easy to believe.  Years ago I started a thread about the death of the Taurus based upon a TTAC article.  Most BON posters, especially Richard Jensen, scoffed.  That TTAC article was accurate. I won't be surprised if these articles about the Edge are accurate, even though there's a huge price gap between the Escape and Explorer. 

A broken clock is also right 2 times a day.

17 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

The question is not whether Edge/Nautilus survive, its a question of where they will be made.

The reason - Flat Rock.

Ford - "Hey Canada union. If you don't give us something, we will close the plant and move production to Flat Rock." so to speak. 

Eh, of those 2 Oakville is more useful and flexible. 

41 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's not the way DetNews is framing it

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2020/06/16/future-ford-edge-and-canadian-plant-where-its-built-question/3202636001/

I tend to side with PD on this one but given what I've experienced in my time at MAP nothing would surprise me anymore. 

In this article, the Ford spokesperson gave a flat out denial. Usually when a model is on the chopping block, the PR minion says something like "Ford does not comment on future products..."

Edited by AGR

7 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

The question is not whether Edge/Nautilus survive, its a question of where they will be made.

The reason - Flat Rock.

Ford - "Hey Canada union. If you don't give us something, we will close the plant and move production to Flat Rock." so to speak. 

The last contract they threatened to move the edge nautilus to flat rock so what you’re saying is spot on. Every one of the last few contracts is a threat to move production out of Oakville. That’s what Ford does.

2 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

The last contract they threatened to move the edge nautilus to flat rock so what you’re saying is spot on. Every one of the last few contracts is a threat to move production out of Oakville. That’s what Ford does.

Yeah, that's pretty crappy considering they were looking to close Flat Rock until things changed last year

with the NEW UAW contract and next gen Mustang commitment.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Yeah, that's pretty crappy considering they were looking to close Flat Rock until things changed last year

with the NEW UAW contract and next gen Mustang commitment.

I know they float plant closings as a way to gain leverage.  IMHO, FRAP was never in jeopardy unless they wanted to drop the Mustang altogether.  

7 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

I know they float plant closings as a way to gain leverage.  IMHO, FRAP was never in jeopardy unless they wanted to drop the Mustang altogether.  

Before UAW deal, the rumour was that after MKZ and Continental end, Mustang would move to Oakville and FRAP closes.

I wonder if UNIFOR contract negotiation is the mirror image of that, with Edge successor moving to FRAP with Mustang.

Ford negotiations = Divide and conquer.

Isn’t Ford somewhat production constrained?  That’s part of what killed Focus and Fusion right?  Seems like negotiation ploy to me.  There’s too big of a gap between the Escape and Explorer in my opinion and I don’t think Broncos fill it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Remember FRAP is the only Ford plant in their system that builds FWD and RWD cars on the same line.  

That really doesn’t matter except maybe the chassis dyno at the end of the line.

In the early 2000s Wixom built body on frame RWD town cars alongside unibody RWD LS and FWD unibody Continental.