Next Generation Edge/Nautilus in doubt

On 6/18/2020 at 10:41 PM, PREMiERdrum said:

In terms of segment placement, Edge =/= Grand Cherokee. 

Edge carved out a niche when it launched and really hasn't ceded anything since. The toy car proportions and not-as-wide-as-it-seems stance offers a very different feel than a GC and the rest of the segment. 

Before it was scrapped, the CD6 Edge was at risk of losing all of that to become a 4/5th scale Explorer. As exciting as the prospect was, it wasn't working in execution. 

From what I can tell, the new project (which was actually a shelved project they blew the dust off of) is hallmarking those attributes. When (if?) it makes it to market, expect it to be very true to the 2007 and 2015 models, and less so the 2011 and 2019 facelifts. 

I mostly agree with that but,

Looking at the product forecast posted back in 2016, it looks like ng Edge  CDX706/707 were never delayed from that time.

and if that is true,

it suggests that the Explorer based SWB CD6 (CDX777) was actually aimed at a different 3-row SUV audience like say, China

or NA  Grand Canyon competitor. I get the idea that this project was favoured for NA but for reasons you suggested, destroyed

the unique essence of Edge as a swept back sporty crossover vs just another expensive RWD SUV.

The C2 based Edge and Nautilus would be far more economical to execute compared to CD6 which has become quite a financial

headache for Ford. Lowering costs and weight seems to be the priority going forward

Edited by jpd80

I'm firmly in the group that believes that Ford should be offering as many utilities as possible

as we head into electrification, give buyers as much choice as possible and let them decide

what they want with a guiding hand towards all levels of electrification

• Like 3