Ford Uninvited TFL From The Upcoming 2021 Ford F-150 & Bronco Reveals

5 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

They claim they received them from a "source".

I see... I honestly can't fault TFL for publishing them if that is indeed true.  I can see why Ford would be upset but I don't think they should permanently cancel them for reporting a leak.  Is Ford within their right to do so? Yes. Should they? I don't know, it kind of looks bad.

• Like 2

The problem is TFL though the short term web traffic and video revenue was going outweigh the long term damage (It shows how new they are to the industry), they didn't think Ford was going to throw down like they did, they basically toasted their Web Channel for the foreseeable time frame. The photos they received were not regular in traffic photos, those photos were taken by an employee/family member/Friend of Ford/supplier or test company and probably sold as well. Also because of this another OEM is reviewing TFL for media cars; this is a huge no no in the industry for spy photos. Someone like Brenda Pritty & Co would never take/buy those photos or even consider selling them. 

I could see them coming from a friend of a kid that was employeed by  Ford/Supplier they happened to be over at their house and it was parked in the garage; and the employee kid was showing the friend the car photos were taken.  There's a reason all reputable photos come from ON Oakwood Blvd/Soutfield/Enterprise and not on Village or in the parking lots of the PDC buildings, you can see the vehicles in the parking lots and you can drive through them, but it is trespassing. Its the reason you'd never see a reputable media company post photos like that.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I could see them coming from a friend of a kid that was employeed by  Ford/Supplier they happened to be over at their house and it was parked in the garage; and the employee kid was showing the friend the car photos were taken.  There's a reason all reputable photos come from ON Oakwood Blvd/Soutfield/Enterprise and not on Village or in the parking lots of the PDC buildings, you can see the vehicles in the parking lots and you can drive through them, but it is trespassing. Its the reason you'd never see a reputable media company post photos like that.

Every now and then you'll see one from the helix or the big hill on the test track (the trucklet spy shots from last year come to mind) but the pictures are always from the vantage point of the public road/sidewalk. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, probowler said:

I see... I honestly can't fault TFL for publishing them if that is indeed true.  

Thats BS.  Of course you can fault TFL.  They knew those were insider photos not authorized by Ford.  And it’s certain that Ford asked them to take it down.  Even if it was a mistake or misunderstanding at first once they realized what happened they should have taken them down and apologized.  Instead they just went for the publicity.  They deserve whatever punishment Ford gives them and as pointed out above, they just shredded their reputation with other OEMs as well.  Stupid move.

And you can bet that Ford has already identified the source or is working on it and if identified will be dealt with harshly.  

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Thats BS.  Of course you can fault TFL.  They knew those were insider photos not authorized by Ford.  And it’s certain that Ford asked them to take it down.  Even if it was a mistake or misunderstanding at first once they realized what happened they should have taken them down and apologized.  Instead they just went for the publicity.  They deserve whatever punishment Ford gives them and as pointed out above, they just shredded their reputation with other OEMs as well.  Stupid move.

And you can bet that Ford has already identified the source or is working on it and if identified will be dealt with harshly.  

You really believe that?  I can believe that if they are all "highly principled".  Real world? My bet is  they will be falling all over themselves to earn as much favor as they can with TFL.  They will just be perhaps a bit more cautious.

As for TFL,  I'm done trying to figure out who shot who!  Maybe it's time to call it a draw and say both sides were at fault.  The bigger man will make the first move as is usually the case in situations like this-or should I  say..the smaller ego will make the first move.

• Like 1

Lets put it this way for people that think TFL was in the right.

Someone breaks into your house secretly films you having sex; publishes the sex tape, and when you go to ask the person to take the sex tape down they say no. 

Edited by jasonj80

6 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Lets put it this way for people that think TFL was in the right.

Someone breaks into your house secretly films you having sex; publishes the sex tape, and when you go to ask the person to take take the sex tape down they say no. 

No, it is more like your wife secretly filmed you and sent it out. 

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The problem is TFL though the short term web traffic and video revenue was going outweigh the long term damage (It shows how new they are to the industry), they didn't think Ford was going to throw down like they did, they basically toasted their Web Channel for the foreseeable time frame. The photos they received were not regular in traffic photos, those photos were taken by an employee/family member/Friend of Ford/supplier or test company and probably sold as well. Also because of this another OEM is reviewing TFL for media cars; this is a huge no no in the industry for spy photos. Someone like Brenda Pritty & Co would never take/buy those photos or even consider selling them. 

Why would a small media outlet pay?  They have very small margins and they aren't the Inquirer.  They said the photos were sent anonymously, assuming through email.

22 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Why would a small media outlet pay?  They have very small margins and they aren't the Inquirer.  They said the photos were sent anonymously, assuming through email.

They make more $$$ then you think. And People aren't going to do that stuff for "Free" 

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

You really believe that?  I can believe that if they are all "highly principled".  Real world? My bet is  they will be falling all over themselves to earn as much favor as they can with TFL.  They will just be perhaps a bit more cautious.

You're severely overestimating the impact of these outfits on actual sales.   Nobody is "falling all over themselves" for these so called journalists.   If they don't play nicely with the OEMs and follow the rules they'll be shut out like TTAC and others in the past.   At best it's just entertainment.

And it has nothing to do with being highly principled - it has to do with protecting proprietary information and not releasing information early.   Ford was planning to keep these features secret until the reveal - now that's spoiled.   It's all about acting in good faith.   Ford allowed them early access to vehicles and use of their test facilities and this is how they repay them?  You can't have it both ways.

I predict within the next month TFL will issue a formal apology once they realize the impact.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, akirby said:

You're severely overestimating the impact of these outfits on actual sales.   Nobody is "falling all over themselves" for these so called journalists.   If they don't play nicely with the OEMs and follow the rules they'll be shut out like TTAC and others in the past.   At best it's just entertainment.

And it has nothing to do with being highly principled - it has to do with protecting proprietary information and not releasing information early.   Ford was planning to keep these features secret until the reveal - now that's spoiled.   It's all about acting in good faith.   Ford allowed them early access to vehicles and use of their test facilities and this is how they repay them?  You can't have it both ways.

I predict within the next month TFL will issue a formal apology once they realize the impact.

You may be right, and I may normally agree with you, but based on the ridiculous timeline from announcements to reveal, it’s made me apathetic toward the towards the situation, enough so that it’s hard for me to defend Ford in this case.    

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Well I'll concede your point as highlighted-although I  think the info on the 7 speed was out months ago.  Not  sure about some of the other stuff.

No doubt, the longer this "announcement" gets dragged out, and the more info that gets "leaked", the more difficult it makes putting together a final introduction package that really has people saying "wow" vs "what else is new"?

12 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

No doubt, the longer this "announcement" gets dragged out, and the more info that gets "leaked", the more difficult it makes putting together a final introduction package that really has people saying "wow" vs "what else is new"?

That's my irritation with how long it's taken them to reveal anything, and there's still 8 months to go until production starts if the latest rumors are to be believed. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Either that or it will escalate things and encourage insiders to give them the lot on Bronco and new F150.

I would hope that cool heads on both sides get together and start smoothing things over, the big question

is how much does TFL value their relationship with Ford and are they prepared to trash that over insider pics.

12 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Either that or it will escalate things and encourage insiders to give them the lot on Bronco and new F150.

I would hope that cool heads on both sides get together and start smoothing things over, the big question

is how much does TFL value their relationship with Ford and are they prepared to trash that over insider pics.

I hope your right regarding cooler heads, as I generally like the work TFL does.  

11 minutes ago, tbone said:

I hope your right regarding cooler heads, as I generally like the work TFL does.  

The point is, what other photos and details are they now prepared to publish,

I think the smart move is for both parties to keep talking and get past this

and de-escalate things before even more damage is done.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I think we all agree-  time for both of them to grow up and move on.  We will  see who has the bigger ego -hopefully it will be a draw.

So Ford is supposed to just ignore their refusal to take down the illegal pics?

Take them down and apologize and promise not to do it again and maybe they can get past it.  Otherwise screw ‘em.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, akirby said:

So Ford is supposed to just ignore their refusal to take down the illegal pics?

Take them down and apologize and promise not to do it again and maybe they can get past it.  Otherwise screw ‘em.  

Multiple other outlets have published the images, so taking them down won't do any good.  Also there is nothing illegal about them from the media's perspective.  The only illegal activity would be by whoever sent them the pictures if they were taken by a Ford employee, or someone otherwise subjected to an NDA and would most likely be a civil action and not a criminal one, although their could be some criminal elements depending on the circumstances of how they were obtained.  For people concerned about the leaks, the outrage should be placed on those who took the pictures or the person(s) that was negligent in protecting the vehicle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Multiple other outlets have published the images, so taking them down won't do any good.  Also there is nothing illegal about them from the media's perspective.  The only illegal activity would be by whoever sent them the pictures if they were taken by a Ford employee, or someone otherwise subjected to an NDA and would most likely be a civil action and not a criminal one, although their could be some criminal elements depending on the circumstances of how they were obtained.  For people concerned about the leaks, the outrage should be placed on those who took the pictures or the person(s) that was negligent in protecting the vehicle.

You don’t get it.  There is no reason to take the images down on the other sites if TFL leaves them up.  Had they taken them down as asked so would the others.

This isn’t a legal issue.  It’s an issue of trust and goodwill with a business partner.  TFL was afforded perks with Ford - access to pre prod models and their facilities.  When a partner like that says hey those photos were unauthorized please take them down - you take them down.  Period.  Even if you made an honest mistake to begin with.   No reputable journalist would publish leaked pics like that.  It’s unprofessional.  And the only recourse for the mfr is to rescind their access to future events and vehicles.

Cant believe you guys think this is ok.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I think we all agree-  time for both of them to grow up and move on.  We will  see who has the bigger ego -hopefully it will be a draw.

I strongly agree -they need to kiss and make up.  Too much to lose on both sides. 

For Ford:  However many customers come to Ford because of TFL, then Ford needs to grab those customers.  The old fashioned mentality of F-series is number one, we don't need any help is what will put you in second or third place real fast. If Ford is truly the leader, they will figure out how to fix this for everyone. 

For TFL:  They need to be at these launches to get the traffic on their site and YouTube channel - drive revenue.

On the other hand - that review of the XLT Super Duty was impressive and they remained objective.  Most of the dis-likes were irrelevant - but that satellite antenna issue would be a real bummer if you were putting a cool camper on the back like they did.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2020 at 9:35 PM, Flying68 said:

Tommy's response:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/leaked-pics-ifs-7spd-manual-shifter-w-crawler-gear-sway-bar-disconnect-top-latch-ecoboost-engine-aux-switches-front-rear-lockers.1388/post-43580

"Hi there!

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for reaching out. We were never asked by any representative of Ford to take down or remove the pictures or video. We completely understand Ford's sentiment that we "breached" the relationship. But I think it is important to note our job is not to act as Ford PR. We feel like if Ford wanted to send a message they could have un-invited from the Bronco unveiling. However, the company also chose to un-invite us from the F-150, cancel access to ford press fleet vehicles, and pull a truck that was to be used to do a story on a Ford vendor. This seems like an especially strong message to send to a company that has owned and promoted several ford vehicles throughout our 10 years of operation.

We appreciate the insight.
-Tommy"

If they are that upset about everything Ford did to them then they basically need to tell Ford we have 750,000 subscribers and hundreds of thousands of views on our videos. We will pull every single video of a Ford product on our channel and no longer discuss or review any Ford product in the future. Either that will get Ford’s attention or Ford will tell them to pound sand. Just whining about it and leaving all of those Ford reviews on their channel or discussing and reviewing future Ford products tells me they aren’t that upset.