Identifying Build Issues on the Lot?

crypto

Hi all,

I recently started looking into the Aviator as a replacement to my 2014 F150 Limited. I love the truck but it’s a little dated but more importantly getting up there in miles, so I want to preemptively look at something new. We also have a recent model XC90 but looking for something a little different and the Aviator seems to be similar in size but more power, a bit nicer, and looks great. 

With that said, I was completely unaware of the build quality issues until I read this forum over the last week or so. That kind of sucks and is making me question if it’s worth the risk (read: hassle). I know there’s always stories about why car X sucks or brand Y is terrible from everyone, but there seems to be some wider issues here from what I am seeing. That makes me nervous but hasn’t caused me to fully rule it out yet. 

With that said — many people seem to talk about problems with the fit, components having gaps, various features never working at all, etc. This got me wondering how many of these are easily identifiable during a test drive or lot inspection? It seems like several of the reported issues are not things that happen later but are often a problem from day one. Is there anyone that had pictures of some of the common Body, part, or component alignment issues? Sounds at 35 mph — are these something you can hear day one on a test drive? Interior having issues — can anyone point out what to spot? Assuming I were to buy odd the lot and not custom order I am wondering how many issues could be inspected in advance to at least start off on better footing. Also — does anyone feel build date being later is a better factor? Are the aviators made at more than one plant and better luck at one vs another with attention to detail?

Thanks for any input!

what been saying if,, if my order comes in.   Thinking it will be worst than the builds before shut down.  

sure Ford was in a hurry to get things moving ASAP,  any start up glitches will be looked over  ??????

Bet a on lot versus order now be the same

2 hours ago, crypto said:

Are the aviators made at more than one plant and better luck at one vs another with attention to detail?

All models start out at CAP, but the painted bodies for hybrid models are sent to a special line a couple blocks away for final assembly.  Production of the Aviator Grand Touring PHEVs didn't start until early December.  I haven't heard of any issues with the GT builds yet, including mine and a few others on here... so it would probably be a safer choice if you can locate one with your specs.  The additional cost for the GT is pretty much offset by the $6,534 tax credit.  

Edited by CoolScoop

7 hours ago, Wheeling said:

All the Aviators are built in the Chicago plant. You have no option there. I think a later built date would help.  But COVID-19 ruined  everything. 

COVID-19 didn’t ruin everything - poor manufacturing of parts, poor engineering and poor assembly by the factory workers is what caused thousands of new vehicles to be trucked to another state for repairs, before being sold (or scrapped).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 1999 White C5 Coupe said:

poor assembly by the factory workers

Try again

Chicago has well documented problems for sure but when engineering and launch teams can't get their shit together and try to rush things on top of it, that falls squarely on them not the people on the line. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Production of the Aviator Grand Touring PHEVs didn't start until early December.

Wait, they don't? I just saw one in a parking lot a few days ago and I don't think it had M-plates on it. I don't remember seeing a sticker in a window like a preproduction test car would. 

11 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wait, they don't? I just saw one in a parking lot a few days ago and I don't think it had M-plates on it. I don't remember seeing a sticker in a window like a preproduction test car would. 

As far as I can tell GT production didn't start until the first week of December of last year, including mine.  But they didn't start shipping until sometime in January.

1 hour ago, 1999 White C5 Coupe said:

COVID-19 didn’t ruin everything - poor manufacturing of parts, poor engineering and poor assembly by the factory workers is what caused thousands of new vehicles to be trucked to another state for repairs, before being sold (or scrapped).

Hmmm, don't tell that to my car, He thinks he is the boss over the two Germans.  Oh wait he is, I have not had any problems, no bad paint, no gaps, and thinking about ditching the Q5 and getting him a sister.  I've counted 51 horror stories between here and the 2020 Aviator FB page. That is actually a pretty low number.  The Aviator was a master piece for Lincoln and some bean counters pressed it and lost.  Most of the really big issues I've seen have nothing to do with installers, there were a few pinched drain lines and such at the beginning.  Ford admitted to issues and said they totally blew the roll out.  You don't hire thousands of new workers and think they will be skilled experts after watching some training films and standing beside an experienced installer.(unless you live in a glass house) 

8 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

As far as I can tell GT production didn't start until the first week of December of last year, including mine.  But they didn't start shipping until sometime in January.

I misread your post. I thought you were saying it didn't start until December of this year. 

On 6/21/2020 at 12:15 AM, mustangchief said:

Hmmm, don't tell that to my car, He thinks he is the boss over the two Germans.  Oh wait he is, I have not had any problems, no bad paint, no gaps, and thinking about ditching the Q5 and getting him a sister.  I've counted 51 horror stories between here and the 2020 Aviator FB page. That is actually a pretty low number.  The Aviator was a master piece for Lincoln and some bean counters pressed it and lost.  Most of the really big issues I've seen have nothing to do with installers, there were a few pinched drain lines and such at the beginning.  Ford admitted to issues and said they totally blew the roll out.  You don't hire thousands of new workers and think they will be skilled experts after watching some training films and standing beside an experienced installer.(unless you live in a glass house) 

Couldn't agree more.  I love my Aviator GT and other than some initial issues with the PAAK when I got it (which were later solved with a software update) I haven't had any problems with the mechanics or functionality at all.  I still can't believe I've put about 5000km on it and I'm still only on my 4th tank of gas.  I've been taking it on long weekend trips back/forth to the cottage lately and the comfort of the seats with gentle massage and cooling combined with the concert hall quality sound from the Revel audio make it such a great experience I actually look forward to the trip in the car.

I definitely would not put much faith in all the negative reviews out there complaining about the PHEV powertrain and a "lack of smoothness" either, as I've commented in previous posts mine is so smooth and seamless in transition from EV to engine if you were not staring at the screen to see the current status or looking at the tach to see your rpm you would never know if the engine is off or on as everything is quiet you can barely hear anything.

My best suggestion is try to find a dealer that has a GT model in inventory (hopefully a later build)  and try and test drive it, you will be convinced.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 10:23 PM, 1999 White C5 Coupe said:

Here is an interesting article regarding the new Explorers and Aviators built at the Chicago Assembly Plant:  https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2020/11/19/ford-explorer-ranks-among-lowest-scoring-models-reliability-survey/3770227001/