2022 Ranger speculation

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know when we might expect to see some more info on the new ranger? My bronco builds are getting expensive and I would still have to make lots of compromises. The ranger would actually be a more useful vehicle and I can still do any of the off road activities I would need to in it, all with a lower price and more features/options.

• Like 2

Ford Australia would love to get a V6 Ranger. That will really put it over the top against Hilux.

I also think hybrid is a very good possibility since the US and likely the EU market will require it. It's just a question of whether Ford wants to invest in hybrid/PHEV supply chain in Thailand where Australian market Rangers are made. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, bzcat said:

Ford Australia would love to get a V6 Ranger. That will really put it over the top against Hilux.

I also think hybrid is a very good possibility since the US and likely the EU market will require it. It's just a question of whether Ford wants to invest in hybrid/PHEV supply chain in Thailand where Australian market Rangers are made. 

They are getting a V6 Ranger, just not the one Americans imagine.

After convincing buyers that a 2.0 diesel is as capable as the old 3.2 I-5 diesel,

the 3.0 Powerstroke will be a breath of fresh air that Toyota's Hilux just can't match.

I'm hoping for a six cylinder option in the US.  I know the 2.3 turbo competes favorably in it's segment, but a V6 would really round out the offering.

I also tend to think Ford has bigger plans for the 7-spd manual they spent good money developing than simply 10-20% of Bronco production.  We'll see though.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

They are getting a V6 Ranger, just not the one Americans imagine.

After convincing buyers that a 2.0 diesel is as capable as the old 3.2 I-5 diesel,

the 3.0 Powerstroke will be a breath of fresh air that Toyota's Hilux just can't match.

I was thinking both... 3.0 Powerstroke for the 'regular' Ranger and perhaps 2.7 EB for the Raptor. For sure 3.0 diesel makes most sense because it will also sell in Europe and elsewhere but perhaps Ford will spend a little bit more money for RHD 2.7 EB. One can dream...

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

I was thinking both... 3.0 Powerstroke for the 'regular' Ranger and perhaps 2.7 EB for the Raptor. For sure 3.0 diesel makes most sense because it will also sell in Europe and elsewhere but perhaps Ford will spend a little bit more money for RHD 2.7 EB. One can dream...

That's an understatement, there are high end buyers in Australia that would eat up a true HP Ranger Raptor,

the powertrain for global will be mostly diesel but I think there's an opportunity to look at Bronco's engines 

but the realist I'm me thinks that any "Raptors" planned will all share the one powertrain, something made 

possible but not limited to the "Bronco Raptor". While a 3.0 EB sounds like the ticket, many would be open 

to something more creative, maybe a performance hybrid of some sort like we see in other Ford's....

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I'm hoping for a six cylinder option in the US.  I know the 2.3 turbo competes favorably in it's segment, but a V6 would really round out the offering.

I also tend to think Ford has bigger plans for the 7-spd manual they spent good money developing than simply 10-20% of Bronco production.  We'll see though.....

Well, I'm sure the Ranger will mirror Bronco's powertrains.

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Well, I'm sure the Ranger will mirror Bronco's powertrains.

I would hope the F150 Powerboost with a smaller V6. There is article today where new Powerboost owner is getting 29mpg. A hybrid Ranger with 300 hp and 32-35mpg and gobs of torque and power generator would be game changer in that segment.

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I would hope the F150 Powerboost with a smaller V6. There is article today where new Powerboost owner is getting 29mpg. A hybrid Ranger with 300 hp and 32-35mpg and gobs of torque and power generator would be game changer in that segment.

I would be first in line*

*As soon as my next lease is up

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

That 29 mpg was obtained by driving for maximum economy in a manner few drivers will use. The EPA estimate is 24. Doubtful the Ranger will be able to reach above 30 mpg, but even 28 from a pickup that large would be great mileage. 

I would love to see a V6 in the Ranger too but the skeptic in me says Ford has never used an F-150 powertrain of any sort in the Ranger before and I don't see that changing now, especially with the B team back in charge. History has an ugly habit of repeating itself and fuel prices will be going up substantially. It's inevitable...