2022 Ranger speculation

27 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

I would love to see a V6 in the Ranger too but the skeptic in me says Ford has never used an F-150 powertrain of any sort in the Ranger before and I don't see that changing now, especially with the B team back in charge. History has an ugly habit of repeating itself and fuel prices will be going up substantially. It's inevitable...

What they’re doing with Bronco says you’re wrong.  And this Ranger is a lot bigger than the old Ranger.  There will absolutely be a 2.7Leb for Ranger.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:27 PM, bzcat said:

I also think hybrid is a very good possibility since the US and likely the EU market will require it. 

That would be nice. Even better would be a BEV Ford Ranger that's not a science fair project like the '98 - '02 Ranger EV. 

Hopefully Ford introduces BEV Ranger globally by 2025 and makes the model BEV only by 2035.

Ford Authority stating its a '23MY vehicle............if their timescales are accurate, isn't it rather early to see a prototype? 

Given how advanced this prototype looks, surely a late 2021 on sale date as a '22MY would be more accurate?

"Expect the next-gen Ford Ranger to go on sale in Australia in late 2022 or early 2023, with a global release toward the end of the 2022 calendar year for the 2023 model year"

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Ford Authority stating its a '23MY vehicle............if their timescales are accurate, isn't it rather early to see a prototype? 

Given how advanced this prototype looks, surely a late 2021 on sale date as a '22MY would be more accurate?

"Expect the next-gen Ford Ranger to go on sale in Australia in late 2022 or early 2023, with a global release toward the end of the 2022 calendar year for the 2023 model year"

No, it's right about time. We will see NG Ranger sooner than usual given the increased focus on faster development/engineering times. 

Im very excited for it. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, FordBuyer said:

I would hope the F150 Powerboost with a smaller V6. There is article today where new Powerboost owner is getting 29mpg. A hybrid Ranger with 300 hp and 32-35mpg and gobs of torque and power generator would be game changer in that segment.

I was hoping Bronco would have a hybrid option.  I don't feel like waiting longer, nor do I think I'll be able to afford the Warthog if that's how a hybrid option arrives.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, blksn8k2 said:

I would love to see a V6 in the Ranger too but the skeptic in me says Ford has never used an F-150 powertrain of any sort in the Ranger before and I don't see that changing now, especially with the B team back in charge. History has an ugly habit of repeating itself and fuel prices will be going up substantially. It's inevitable...

It wouldn't have a to be a direct plug and play, though.....nobody's saying put the 3.5 PowerBoost in.  They can use the hybrid technology/portion (electric motor/batteries) on a Ranger (and Bronco) powertrain.

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I thought that the US version was pushed back a year or so?

Covid is changing everything. LAP shut down all next week and maybe longer due to chip shortage. Detroit Auto Show shut down today also and much smaller show outside in Pontiac M1 race course.

The chip shortage is basically having everyone in the industry look at their least profitable lines and that’s where the cuts are coming. 

COVID will actually have the ROW and American Ranger launch closer together than was originally planned which is probably a good thing. Also electrification is a given for the NG Ranger at a point based on the markets it will be sold and local government regulation on it. 

The industry as a whole is getting nervous about inflation as well, affordability is becoming more and more of an issue and why Ford started the 7500 mile / year leases. Lowers payments but also gets them like new vehicles in 2-3 years they can sell again in the CPO program. Seeing what my truck is worth 10 years later is actually pretty shocking. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

The chip shortage is basically having everyone in the industry look at their least profitable lines and that’s where the cuts are coming. 

So basically the chips are being rationed towards higher end or newer products (Bronco Sport vs Escape) that make $$$

• Like 2

15 hours ago, T-dubz said:

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/2023-ford-ranger-prototype-spied-testing-for-first-time-ever/

pics out testing. Shape looks very similar to the current model. Headlights look like the ones on the maverick leak. I really like the stance it has. Lots of ground clearance.

370D2105-3C9C-41EA-ABA5-AC8C965883CF.jpeg

A56BAE30-EEC9-4FCD-80BF-3FDA654E1013.jpeg

Notice how the bulging wheel arches are gone,

kind of suggesting that he body and interior space 

have been reworked to make Ranger a touch roomier.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

So basically the chips are being rationed towards higher end or newer products (Bronco Sport vs Escape) that make $$$

And I’m predicting the same thing will happen with the escape hybrid vs Corsair and f150 powerboost.  The later will get the battery cells to meet demand and escape gets what is left.  

18 hours ago, T-dubz said:

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/2023-ford-ranger-prototype-spied-testing-for-first-time-ever/

pics out testing. Shape looks very similar to the current model. Headlights look like the ones on the maverick leak. I really like the stance it has. Lots of ground clearance.

370D2105-3C9C-41EA-ABA5-AC8C965883CF.jpeg

A56BAE30-EEC9-4FCD-80BF-3FDA654E1013.jpeg

Looks pretty much identical to the leaked photos we saw, outside of some trim differences.

I'm glad they are going for a more North American look with it vs what it was. 

53 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Looks pretty much identical to the leaked photos we saw, outside of some trim differences.

I'm glad they are going for a more North American look with it vs what it was. 

I’m curious about the headlights. The spy shots seem to show a vertical element to the headlight (it looks like there are 2 or three bulbs stacked on top of each other), but in the leaked pic from a year ago, it looked like they were horizontal below the two bars.

screenshot-2021-01-11-155924-jpg.77512

27 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I’m curious about the headlights. The spy shots seem to show a vertical element to the headlight (it looks like there are 2 or three bulbs stacked on top of each other), but in the leaked pic from a year ago, it looked like they were horizontal below the two bars.

Different trim maybe?

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Notice how the bulging wheel arches are gone,

kind of suggesting that he body and interior space 

have been reworked to make Ranger a touch roomier.

It looks more squared off, so I think you’re right.  It will be a little roomier. 

I think it's a powertrain / cooling mule using the existing Ranger body with the next-gen front clip (or at least fascia / grill).  

Look at the greenhouse.  The way the dogleg on the rear side window gradually slopes upward is from the current Ranger.  On the next-gen render, it is a sharp angled dogleg.

Current Ranger:

1251867899_ScreenShot2021-01-12at12_48_08PM.png.9d8a9a4d1e7b76c37023744b2566ca31.png

Ranger Render:

1239886747_ScreenShot2021-01-12at12_47_41PM.png.459b1849e5f60214975f0d6ddf70025f.png

Prototype / Mule:

1051934390_ScreenShot2021-01-12at12_48_53PM.png.2a19624399c44fd62c0b93d87b81e1f2.png

That camo'ed body really looks to be the current Ranger.  Gotta be a powertrain / cooling mule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I think it's a powertrain / cooling mule using the existing Ranger body with the next-gen front clip (or at least fascia / grill).  

Look at the greenhouse.  The way the dogleg on the rear side window gradually slopes upward is from the current Ranger.  On the next-gen render, it is a sharp angled dogleg.

Current Ranger:

1251867899_ScreenShot2021-01-12at12_48_08PM.png.9d8a9a4d1e7b76c37023744b2566ca31.png

Ranger Render:

1239886747_ScreenShot2021-01-12at12_47_41PM.png.459b1849e5f60214975f0d6ddf70025f.png

Prototype / Mule:

1051934390_ScreenShot2021-01-12at12_48_53PM.png.2a19624399c44fd62c0b93d87b81e1f2.png

That camo'ed body really looks to be the current Ranger.  Gotta be a powertrain / cooling mule.

Maybe you are right. The leaked pic seems to show front and rear fenders that stick out at bit too, but i can’t see that here in the spy shots, of course it could be the camo doing its job too.