Michigan-assembled Ford Ranger named ‘most American-made car’ in annual list

Thanks for sharing 2005 Explorer sir. Here is the link to the full Cars.com article for 2020 AMI. https://www.cars.com/articles/the-cars-com-2020-american-made-index-which-cars-are-most-american-422711/

Below is a map of assembly plant locations for the Top 10 "most American-made" cars and light trucks. Tesla Fremont and Honda Manufacturing of Alabama (HMA) are particularly well represented, with 6 of the top 10 models built at those plants.

AMI20-map-cities_PD.jpg

Edited by rperez817

Cars.com ranking U.S. Production by Automaker

Just over half the cars bought here are assembled here, but the ratio varies considerably by automaker. Cars.com analyzed vehicle identification number data for retail sales in the first quarter of 2020. Below is our estimate of how many passenger vehicles each major automaker sold in the U.S. that were also built here. Keep in mind that automakers include all brands, such as luxury marques, therein:

• Tesla: 100.0%
  • Ford: 79.9%
  • Honda: 67.2%
  • Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: 61.2%
  • Industry average: 51.0%
  • Subaru: 50.1%
  • GM: 48.4%
  • BMW: 47.7%
  • Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi: 46.1%
  • Toyota: 43.9%
  • Hyundai-Kia: 37.8%
  • Daimler (Mercedes-Benz): 30.6%
  • Volkswagen Group: 15.0%
  • Geely (Volvo): 13.1%
  • Jaguar Land Rover: 0%
  • Mazda: 0%
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Love mine!  It was built with pride and it shows!

Great to hear Anthony sir! Same here, our 2019 Ranger XLT has been a reliable work truck, hauling equipment and supplies for my family's lawn and landscaping business almost every day.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, probowler said:

So hopefully the Bronco will at least tie the Ranger, no? It could be different but I'll be hopeful!  Buying American is something very important to me, so this is great news.

Flex-n-Gate built a brand new plant in Detroit near City Airport for Ranger and Bronco parts, and they make a LOT of them. 

The parts that aren't made in America come from Thailand and Mexico I think. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I would be interested where they will source the manual transmission from in the Bronco. Other then that I would assume the Bronco will use most of the same suppliers as the Ranger being a T6 platform mate.

Probably Getrag if I had to guess. They seem to be Ford's go-to if they don't do it in house. 

• Like 1

Not only is 2020 Ford Ranger #1 on the Cars.com American Made Index, it is also the #1 midsize pickup truck in initial quality according to the J.D. Power IQS results released today. And Michigan Assembly Plant is the second best plant in North and South America for quality too. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-initial-quality-study-iqs

image.png.c99a61d889cba07c231001e8710df610.png

image.thumb.png.4c4d5f59cc8d8e9ddeee386830d74c85.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not bad for a hack job.

One advantage of the "hack job of global T6 Ranger" approach for the current U.S. Ranger is better initial quality. Completely new or redesigned vehicles almost always have more problems upon introduction compared to tried and true products.

My family's 2019 Ranger has not needed any unscheduled repairs. Only routine maintenance.

If I were in the market for a new midsized pickup, my pick easily would be the Ranger. Two major reasons....it is the best looking and easily has the best powertrain. Mediocre interior and non damping tailgate are minor quibbles to me. Pickups to me do not need super luxury interiors. They are workhorses that need durable interiors that wear well IMO. 

Now if Ford charges $45,000 for a Ranger Lariat, and doesn't significantly upgrade the interior, and include a damped tailgate, then that is a problem I would agree. But for the great XLT

..NO.

30 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

One advantage of the "hack job of global T6 Ranger" approach for the current U.S. Ranger is better initial quality. Completely new or redesigned vehicles almost always have more problems upon introduction compared to tried and true products.

You clearly don't understand the scope of the retooling MAP had to go through to convert from Focus to Ranger production....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

If I were in the market for a new midsized pickup, my pick easily would be the Ranger. Two major reasons....it is the best looking and easily has the best powertrain. Mediocre interior and non damping tailgate are minor quibbles to me. Pickups to me do not need super luxury interiors. They are workhorses that need durable interiors that wear well IMO. 

Now if Ford charges $45,000 for a Ranger Lariat, and doesn't significantly upgrade the interior, and include a damped tailgate, then that is a problem I would agree. But for the great XLT

..NO.

Believe me, that tailgate is light enough you don't need it to be dampened. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree, but it is super silly not to even offer it.  I bought a dampener for my Ranger and it is so much nicer to have than not.

36 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You clearly don't understand the scope of the retooling MAP had to go through to convert from Focus to Ranger production....

Actually he has a point for once.  The vehicle itself had already been engineered and in production for years in MOW.  They just tweaked it for NA.

All new drivetrain, major frame changes, suspension changes, moderate electronics changes, and not to mention an all-new factory and a crew that has never worked with this platform either.  The chances for a fuck up were well within bounds.  The MAP guys have a big hand in the success of this truck. 

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Anthony said:

All new drivetrain, major frame changes, suspension changes, moderate electronics changes, and not to mention an all-new factory and a crew that has never worked with this platform either.  The chances for a fuck up were well within bounds.  The MAP guys have a big hand in the success of this truck. 

Beat me to it ??

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The vehicle itself had already been engineered and in production for years in MOW.  They just tweaked it for NA.

55 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The chances for a fuck up were well within bounds.  The MAP guys have a big hand in the success of this truck. 

Diligent and careful preparations by MAP workers for Ranger production combined with a proven, existing Ford product both played a role in earning the J.D. Power IQS awards mentioned above.

Congratulations to everyone at Ford's MAP plant for their accomplishment.

Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Diligent and careful preparations by MAP workers for Ranger production combined with a proven, existing Ford product both played a role in earning the J.D. Power IQS awards mentioned above.

Congratulations to everyone at Ford's MAP plant for their accomplishment.

Would you believe that was achieved reusing the Focus paint gear that didn't quite reach as well as it should,

the new paint equipment being installed as part of the plant upgrade for Bronco.

The maturity of design in the Ranger goes a long way towards consistently building quality products,

the next generation Ranger and Bronco will add in lessons learned over time and fingers crossed be huge hits.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I gotta say my MAP built Ranger is light years ahead in fit and finish than my wife's Oakville built Edge (even though it has been an absolutely flawless vehicle).  Every panel is misaligned as if they had someone putting it together by Braille. No offense to anyone who works at Oakville, but damn...go buy a straightedge or something.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's light, sure, but I don't miss that big crash/bouncing sound/action when dropping the tailgate.

34 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I gotta say my MAP built Ranger is light years ahead in fit and finish than my wife's Oakville built Edge (even though it has been an absolutely flawless vehicle).  Every panel is misaligned as if they had someone putting it together by Braille. No offense to anyone who works at Oakville, but damn...go buy a straightedge or something.

I see what you did there ;)

Edited by rmc523