Michigan-assembled Ford Ranger named ‘most American-made car’ in annual list

Hope the next version will allow owners the ability to lower it, with the proper kits.
I can vision one that the wheel wells just even with the the top or an inch down from the top the of wheels.

My wife and I tried to get into one on last years car show, she said nope, too hard to get into.

23 minutes ago, jniffen said:

Hope the next version will allow owners the ability to lower it, with the proper kits.
I can vision one that the wheel wells just even with the the top or an inch down from the top the of wheels.

My wife and I tried to get into one on last years car show, she said nope, too hard to get into.

The global Ranger already has low-rider versions  but I think they're not AWD.

Hope Springs eternal that more versions will become available now that

North America is in at the start of the new product cycle.

Edited by jpd80

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The global Ranger already has low-rider versions  but I think they're not AWD.

Hope Springs eternal that more versions will become available now that

North America is in at the start of the new product cycle.

And has the Bronco to further help with scale. Non-Covid production between the two could easily hit 275k units per year once MAP is running on 2 shift plus OT. 

50 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

And has the Bronco to further help with scale. Non-Covid production between the two could easily hit 275k units per year once MAP is running on 2 shift plus OT. 

I read someplace that a Wall Street analyst estimates MAP may generate one billion dollars in profits once Bronco is introduced.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jniffen said:

It might not be for everyone but the new powered running board on the F150 are pretty slick. They automatically lower when they sense you approaching with the key, or you tap it with your foot to lower it. Would be cool if those eventually came to the Ranger.

21 minutes ago, Anthony said:

@fuzzymoomoo, if you can say, how much of the infrastructure is in place at MAP for the Bronco?  If you can't say, I understand, not sure if it is public info or not.

Not enough of it to start production today, but enough of it is in place that the launch is on schedule. 

That's the best I can do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I drove my Ranger for the first time in almost 2 weeks this morning just to run to Dunkin for a coffee.  I can't believe I actually really miss driving.

I recently drove my Escape for the first time in 8 months, during that time i occasionally had access to some cheap Nissan station wagon. I pulled over almost immediately because I thought there was something wrong; the steering was too tight, the brakes too strong, I thought something was wrong with it lol.

It's amazing going back to a well-built and maintained vehicle after living with a rental beater. See I love driving, so being without my cars is the worst. I can't wait to wakeup the Camaro next.

I remember a poster here saying that MAP reused the Focus paint equipment

but it doesn't quite reach or work properly for Ranger and is being replaced

as part of Bronco upgrades this year. Its a bottleneck that needs to be done

before the plant can operate with two shifts.

Just now, jpd80 said:

I remember a poster here saying that MAP reused the Focus paint equipment

but it doesn't quite reach or work properly for Ranger and is being replaced

as part of Bronco upgrades this year. Its a bottleneck that needs to be done

before the plant can operate with two shifts.

That was done over the holidays. 

55 minutes ago, Anthony said:

So my Ranger has thin paint somewhere on it? ?

No, what they did was instead of being able to run the line at speeds they were able to during a Focus production they slowed it down to about half the speed it's capable of so the robots could apply extra paint where needed. It also helped that Body Shop can't run at the old speed right now because one line can't keep up which won't be a problem when Bronco arrives, it won't need to keep up with the rest of the line. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 4:47 PM, jpd80 said:

The other thing to consider is the 2021 F150's track is 3/4" wider and the front clip higher.

It's not a massive increase but perhaps enough to match the new GM and Ram trucks.

Ford lengthening Ranger's wheelbase and track is probably more about handling but

perhaps it's also about a slightly bigger footprint for CAFE - I'm just guessing here....

Im just catching up on this thread.  Definitely wanted to throw a shout out to MAP on a job well done on the Ranger.  I can think of one other plant in the system that should be trying to emulate you guys.  

Definitely agree with most posts about being careful on the growth of the Ranger.  I think the size is just about perfect right now, however there are some things they could do without affecting the overall size much.  If they move the front axle, perhaps it won’t affect the overall length, but can then accommodate bigger motors, and perhaps allow for an increase in interior cab space.  As mentioned above regarding the F150, they kicked the wheels out by 3/4”, which probably did not require much change to accommodate that, but should definitely improve lateral stability.  My Raptor is rock solid at high speed cornering.  I recognize that the Raptor is quite a bit wider, but even small amounts can make a difference and would surely help the Ranger in that area. It has always annoyed me that OEMs tuck their wheels so far in under the wheel wells. I’ve never understood that.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbone said:

Im just catching up on this thread.  Definitely wanted to throw a shout out to MAP on a job well done on the Ranger.  I can think of one other plant in the system that should be trying to emulate you guys.  

Definitely agree with most posts about being careful on the growth of the Ranger.  I think the size is just about perfect right now, however there are some things they could do without affecting the overall size much.  If they move the front axle, perhaps it won’t affect the overall length, but can then accommodate bigger motors, and perhaps allow for an increase in interior cab space.  As mentioned above regarding the F150, they kicked the wheels out by 3/4”, which probably did not require much change to accommodate that, but should definitely improve lateral stability.  My Raptor is rock solid at high speed cornering.  I recognize that the Raptor is quite a bit wider, but even small amounts can make a difference and would surely help the Ranger in that area. It has always annoyed me that OEMs tuck their wheels so far in under the wheel wells. I’ve never understood that.  

I don't work at MAP but I share your thanks and kudos to all the workers at MAP for doing such a good job rolling out the Ranger with minimal hiccups. A lot goes on behind the scenes to make that happen.

The drip down from Ford is that they're generally happy with Ranger's current size but will be massaging that slightly

to keep touch with Colorado and Tacoma. In a nutshell, I think they're looking for a touch more interior room like the

second gen Sport Trac had and a bit of finessing of the front axle position and wider track for better handling. It's not

going to become an F100 but the better use of interior space should be welcome news to buyers.

What I find astonishing is that Ranger's interior dimensions are remarkably close to those of the compact Escape utility,

I get that it has to stay this size but the hip and shoulder room could be a touch wider for comfort.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, probowler said:

17" tires lol.... I think they need to work on their phrasing!

Why? If you look at the first package, the Ranger to get the performance updates needs 17in tires, which I'm assuming has to do with mileage reading of the ODO...I know my dad's 98 Ranger has oversized tire/rims from its original tire/wheel combo and it under reports the speed and distance it went. You'd need to replace the gear they use to report mileage to the odo. 

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why? If you look at the first package, the Ranger to get the performance updates needs 17in tires, which I'm assuming has to do with mileage reading of the ODO...I know my dad's 98 Ranger has oversized tire/rims from its original tire/wheel combo and it under reports the speed and distance it went. You'd need to replace the gear they use to report mileage to the odo. 

Or just re-flash the computer to compensate for the change in tire size. Much easier to do now than it was when the ODO was analog. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think he meant they should have said 17” wheels not tires.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Or just re-flash the computer to compensate for the change in tire size. Much easier to do now than it was when the ODO was analog. 

Can they do that? I would have assumed they could, but technically couldn't someone reflash the computer with a  bigger tire size to lie about mileage? At least it take a bit more effort to remove a gear and replace it with the proper one as a deterrent. 

• Like 1

The Level II (the one I would get) is not a bad deal, not great by any means...but not bad (plus dealers can give discounts on this too).

MSRP on each part (from Ford Performance):

• Level Kit: $1,495
  • Wheels: $1,156
  • Calibration: $825
  • Tires: $206 ea. (TireRack) All 4: $824
  • Blue Tow Hooks: $109
  • Graphics: $73

At that point you are at the MSRP of the Stage II Kit before getting this stuff basically for free:

• Fog Light Kit: $484
  • License Plate Frame: $35

You would really want everything that the kit supplies to get it, otherwise, buying the parts individually is not much worse really.