Michigan-assembled Ford Ranger named ‘most American-made car’ in annual list

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Can they do that? I would have assumed they could, but technically couldn't someone reflash the computer with a  bigger tire size to lie about mileage? At least it take a bit more effort to remove a gear and replace it with the proper one as a deterrent. 

I haven't seen it done recently but 15 years ago you selected a different tire size with the scan tool. Sometimes you could get close but not dead on. I remember a tech complaining that the selections were limited, I'm sure it's much better now.

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think he meant they should have said 17” wheels not tires.

The tires are still considered 17"s. unless you really want to try to force it on an 18" rim.  I saw a 15" tire on a 16" rim once. There was a lot of head-scratching but considering who did it no one was really surprised.

56 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Can they do that? I would have assumed they could, but technically couldn't someone reflash the computer with a  bigger tire size to lie about mileage? At least it take a bit more effort to remove a gear and replace it with the proper one as a deterrent. 

Odometer gearing has been electronic for many years now.  No more mechanical gears coming off the trans.

6 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

The tires are still considered 17"s. unless you really want to try to force it on an 18" rim.  I saw a 15" tire on a 16" rim once. There was a lot of head-scratching but considering who did it no one was really surprised.

I know but most people refer to the wheels not the tires when calling out the diameter.  But yes it’s technically correct for the tires too.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. Maybe it's something only a dealer could do? 

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. Maybe it's something only a dealer could do? 

A dealer or I think you can change it with Forscan.   But yes theoretically it could be done to underreport mileage.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

A dealer or I think you can change it with Forscan.   But yes theoretically it could be done to underreport mileage.

As I recall, the people who tried it said you could change the settings with FORScan, but they had no actual effect, at least on the '11-'14 F-150s. That was awhile back, though, so things may have changed.

If you have the Ford diagnostic tool, it can change the tire size, but only to one of the stock tire sizes. Supposedly, the SCT tuner I have for my truck can change the tire size (it asks when you first connect it), but I'm still running the stock tire size, so I've not had a call to try it.

15 hours ago, Anthony said:

The Level II (the one I would get) is not a bad deal, not great by any means...but not bad (plus dealers can give discounts on this too).

MSRP on each part (from Ford Performance):

• Level Kit: $1,495
  • Wheels: $1,156
  • Calibration: $825
  • Tires: $206 ea. (TireRack) All 4: $824
  • Blue Tow Hooks: $109
  • Graphics: $73

At that point you are at the MSRP of the Stage II Kit before getting this stuff basically for free:

• Fog Light Kit: $484
  • License Plate Frame: $35

You would really want everything that the kit supplies to get it, otherwise, buying the parts individually is not much worse really.

It’s great to see Ford offer some in house Off-road kits for these trucks, but at the same time I’m torn on the pricing, as these prices don’t even include installation.  There are great aftermarket alternative out there for less money, so unless you can really negotiate these prices down I question the value a bit.  And the offset they have for the wheels seems to have the wheels even with the outer edge of the wheel wells, again not widening that stance and helping with that lateral stability.  

As a minor gripe, why do I want blue tow hooks on my truck unless my truck was blue or had other blue accents, but that’s just me.  

Even with these gripes, I’m still glad these packages are available, and the Level II does seem to be the best value of the three. 

Edited by tbone