Tesla ranks dead last in J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey

silvrsvt

Caveat about Tesla's inclusion in J.D. Power 2020 IQS, mentioned by CNET.

"Let's get right to that big piece of news: Tesla ranks dead last, with an asterisk. J.D. Power's methodology is to collect surveys from owners in all 50 states after 90 days of ownership, but Tesla won't let the firm collect information in 15 states. So, J.D. Power instead collected a large enough sample from the 35 other states to include the electric carmaker. Technically, Tesla doesn't qualify to rank, but in the grand scheme of things, it would place last."

Rankings.

2020070a.JPG?itok=Sv1V3KwX

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

That in itself is bullshit...

How do they contact people to begin with?  They ask the manufacturer for customer info?  They wouldn't look through registration records to find out who owns the brand's vehicles?  Or is that not public?

14 hours ago, rmc523 said:

How do they contact people to begin with?  They ask the manufacturer for customer info?  They wouldn't look through registration records to find out who owns the brand's vehicles?  Or is that not public?

They look at registration records, however in 15 states you need the permission of the OEM to contact owners. Tesla doesn't grant them that information. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Tesla doesn't grant them that information. 

A skeptic might comment that Tesla has a vested interest in keeping J.D. Power away from as many owners as possible given its dismal quality ranking. And yes, the Model Y is revealing itself to be quite the cluster in terms of quality.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

A skeptic might comment that Tesla has a vested interest in keeping J.D. Power away from as many owners as possible given its dismal quality ranking. And yes, the Model Y is revealing itself to be quite the cluster in terms of quality.

If including those 15 states would have improved Tesla's dismal ranking, they would have cooperated with J.D. Power.  I have no doubt their score is worse than shown.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

They look at registration records, however in 15 states you need the permission of the OEM to contact owners. Tesla doesn't grant them that information. 

I don't understand why you'd need permission of the OEM to contact owners.  Seems stupid to me.

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't understand why you'd need permission of the OEM to contact owners.  Seems stupid to me.

Thus is the nature 9f government 

So long as people are willing to keep giving them more and more power the more of these silly laws we must endure ?‍♂️

38 minutes ago, AGR said:

In the grand scheme of things, their score isn't all that much worse than some of their luxury competitors. And for some reason. I'm skeptical of a quality survey that has Dodge on top...

Dodge has an old lineup.  Challenger, Charger, Durango, Caravan and Journey haven't seen major upgrades in years.  Generally, older models fare very well in these surveys.  All the bugs have been worked out.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 1:00 PM, mackinaw said:

Dodge has an old lineup.  Challenger, Charger, Durango, Caravan and Journey haven't seen major upgrades in years.  Generally, older models fare very well in these surveys.  All the bugs have been worked out.

Given the Model S and X have been on the market since 2012 and 2015...the bugs should be ironed out of them also.

11 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I did read an article that many Modey Y buyers are refusing delivery, the quality of fit and finish is that bad. And supposedly, Mr. Musk will penalize that customer with a one year moratorium on ordering a new Tesla.

I googled Model Y refused and found many threads on this with pictures.  Several on reddit.