External Antenna Mount Options

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JT84 said:

I'm in the same boat man.  I have to mount two antenna for radio communications on my new 250 and trying to look at all options before I commit. Really don't want to drill into my brand new truck.  

I did not want to either !

It's a bit spendy but it works Fantastic ?

Here is a link to the Dual set up;

https://bulletproofdiesel.com/collections/antenna-mounts/products/third-brake-light-dual-antenna-mount-ford-trucks-90201160

CIMG1756.thumb.JPG.c7f326d114ebb4a09e3dd8f63a962beb.JPG

I don't have my truck yet, but I am considering double sticking a chunk o' steel under (over?) the headliner for the magmount to adhere to through the roof. I can do that without buying anything. If that won't work, I'll have to figure out something else...

20 hours ago, OffBalance said:

I don't have my truck yet, but I am considering double sticking a chunk o' steel under (over?) the headliner for the magmount to adhere to through the roof. I can do that without buying anything. If that won't work, I'll have to figure out something else...

Is it for a CB antenna or another antenna purpose? 

• 2 weeks later...

@MrMajestyk That mount turned up during some research.  Any idea if it fiddles with the CHMSL camera?  Doesn't look like you have one in the photo.  Any electronic interference with between antenna wire and other wiring? 

On 7/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, MrMajestyk said:

I did not want to either !

It's a bit spendy but it works Fantastic ?

Here is a link to the Dual set up;

https://bulletproofdiesel.com/collections/antenna-mounts/products/third-brake-light-dual-antenna-mount-ford-trucks-90201160

CIMG1756.thumb.JPG.c7f326d114ebb4a09e3dd8f63a962beb.JPG

OffBalance mentioned a piece of steel both over and under. You might be able to use a rare earth magnet on the underside to hold the top piece in place. Use caution, a large rare earth magnet is formidable! Aka...dangerous, speaking from experience! HA!

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 5:04 PM, Vrybusy said:

OffBalance mentioned a piece of steel both over and under. You might be able to use a rare earth magnet on the underside to hold the top piece in place. Use caution, a large rare earth magnet is formidable! Aka...dangerous, speaking from experience! HA!

I'm saving an old mag mount base waiting for the new truck (next year, sometime) and if it will fit through the hole where the brake light goes I will glue it to the underside of the roof, giving me a magnetic spot on my roof. 

Hey, it's paid for. If it's too big then powerful rare earth magnets can be had for cheap on Amazon. Wonder what that will do to the trucks compass? 

• 1 year later...

Coming back to this old thread and how I mounted my favorite NMO mag mount 3/8 wave antenna to my aluminum truck. 
I used an adhesive backed steel disc/plate from Rugged Radio. About $25. Works great, SWR is OK. A tree limb has already knocked the antenna over with no damage to either antenna, mount or truck. 

The downside is the disc is too big to fit between some of the raised ridges on the roof, so the antenna is offset to one side. So I guess there's room for another one to balance things out a bit. As the antenna is black most people don't even notice it. 

20211008_184749.jpg

Edited by Radio