Explorer glass hatch doesn't open

I find it disappointing that the last two generations of explorers don't support a separately opening rear glass hatch.  I'm wondering why many of the mid-sized SUV's have eliminated this feature.

This is kind of a deal breaker for me and i've held off for years buying a new explorer for that reason.   I was hoping the 2020 would have addressed this.  The Expedition is just too large for my needs.

If I have my boat/trailer on the back I can't open the hatch but I could open the glass.  If my trailer hitch mounted bike rack is on the back, then I can't open the hatch but I could open the glass.

When packing the car to the gills, I load all the big stuff through the main hatch, then stuff the rest of the stuff through the glass hatch.

Is there some sort of law prohibiting having a functional glass hatch?

Is it a reliability issue, I know they had problems in the 2000-2010 series with the fiberglass rear hatch that would crack, but the glass seemed fine.

Are they lightening the tailgate down to aid the electric opening mechanism?   (I would much rather have the opening glass)

Any ideas?

They're sizing up the competition and doing what the others are doing to save money.  Do any direct competitors have the two-way window and hatch?  Does market research indicate that is a make or break selling point, especially if nobody else is doing it?

My old 2008 Explorer has it and indeed it is a handy feature.  Has been very reliable as well for all these years.

I've literally held off buying a new explorer for the last 10 years waiting or the opening glass.  (replacing my trusty old 1997 XLT V8, which is still running great)
I've considered buying a used 2008-2010 to get the feature.   No opening glass = no sale.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This has been my main complaint of the newer explorer.  I own a 15 and miss being able to open the glass. I had an 08 and used the window open function more than the entire rear because it was more convenient / easier. I drive a 2019 Tahoe for work and open the rear glass all the time.  I often find myself trying to open my explorer glass out of habit and fall disappointed. 

I was just complaining about this the other day.  I finished an entire basement by hauling lumber, drywall, molding, etc. in the back of a 1998 Mountaineer.  Being able to open the glass window was a huge help.  Now if I want to buy a 2x4 with my 2018 Explorer I have to shove it all the way up  close to the dashboard and I can only take a couple at a time.  Obviously not a deal-breaker for me, but one of the reasons I've got a new pick-up truck on order.

On 7/20/2020 at 8:10 PM, JEMetzger said:

Now if I want to buy a 2x4 with my 2018 Explorer I have to shove it all the way up  close to the dashboard and I can only take a couple at a time. 

Really?  Admittedly, I never tried it with the '14 Explorer we had, but my POS company car '17 Dodge Journey, with 1/2 of the split 2nd row seat folded down, and the passenger seat folded down, easily holds 25-30 2x4x8's.

HRG

On 6/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, jimgoesfast said:

Is there some sort of law prohibiting having a functional glass hatch?

Is it a reliability issue, I know they had problems in the 2000-2010 series with the fiberglass rear hatch that would crack, but the glass seemed fine.

Are they lightening the tailgate down to aid the electric opening mechanism?   (I would much rather have the opening glass)

Any ideas?

The glass was DEFINITELY NOT fine. Recalls for exploding back glass was a HUGE issue in the 02 redesign. Even the recall hinges corrode and break, the strut mounts do the same, which led to glass failures too. 

AS Kev-Mo said, cost is a huge factor, with the fact that complexity breeds more failure points (latches, hinges, struts, strut mount balls), and  they ALWAYS squeaked around the glass closure, which is unacceptable with the prices they command. 

• 3 weeks later...