2021 Ram TRX Raptor Slayer to be revealed this summer

probowler

On 6/26/2020 at 3:17 PM, probowler said:

It's not so much that I think they would concede anything, rather that they might not even acknowledge the TRX as a threat, and thus continue Raptors business as usual. The TRX may not even become a threat, and for all we know  Ford's current Raptor plans are so far ahead of anything RAM comes up with that they don't need to change anything.

The Raptor is is so good already, I don't know how much more you can improve upon it.

I think the market will dictate Ford's response. There's been so much demand for a V8 from the Raptor crowd that if TRX is the only one that has it, the earth is gonna tilt when buyers move en masse  over to FCA.

Another thing I noticed is the 21 F-150 Limited now has only one tail pipe again. That suggests the 3.5 HP is gone in the Limited. The only reason I can think of for that is because it will be gone in the Raptor also to be replaced by something more potent, 7.3 perhaps?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

I think the market will dictate Ford's response. There's been so much demand for a V8 from the Raptor crowd that if TRX is the only one that has it, the earth is gonna tilt when buyers move en masse  over to FCA.

Another thing I noticed is the 21 F-150 Limited now has only one tail pipe again. That suggests the 3.5 HP is gone in the Limited. The only reason I can think of for that is because it will be gone in the Raptor also to be replaced by something more potent, 7.3 perhaps?

You really think someone would switch to a Ram just because it had a V8?  

15 hours ago, akirby said:

I actually do think there are people that will switch because the TRX has a V8.  There are a lot of conquest sales associated with the Raptor, so they are not all Ford loyalist purchasing them.  Part of the experience associated with a high performance vehicle is the sound and the visceral reaction it brings.  Ford stripped that out of the current generation with the Ecoboost.  It is a great motor, but it doesn’t give you the same feeling the 6.2L did, and is one of the biggest complaints about the Raptor.  

Not to mention if the TRX has 700hp, and the Raptor has something quite a bit less, It won’t be as competitive as it should be when Ford has the capability to match it. 

It will be interesting see what Ford’s upcoming strategy will be.  Is it going to be the GT500 motor or some kind of hybrid high performance powertrain?  I would prefer the V8, but the other tech would be intriguing. Hopefully it won’t be too much longer before we know.  

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 10:57 PM, Ovaltine said:

One more "TRX" naming observation -

Does anyone remember THESE "TRX"es?   These should look familiar to a few old timers on here.  I wonder if Ford and/or Michelin let the trademark on the name go?

-Ovaltine

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_TRX 

wk-39067452_45027daf.jpg

Show the whole car!

1979_mustang_03.jpg

1979-1980-1981-ford-mustang-13.jpg

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, akirby said:

Absolutely, positively, resounding YES!  V8 and the bold look are are combination that appeal to many - yes many buyers.  I hear it all the time from the old school truck conversations. Just last night at the brew pub on a hot summer night; chatting with some guys about the series Yellowstone - and all they could talk about is how 'cool' and 'badd-ass' looking those 'product placed' and advertising sponsored Dodge trucks are. 

Parking lot here is full of trucks, and Ford does not dominate.  All the brands are equally represented  - yes even Tundra out here in the west where the X and millennial generations were raised on foreign brands.

I've posted it before - want to see Ford offer the 7.3 in F-150, just to appeal to this segment of the market.  I know the 5.0 Coyote is a far better motor than Dodge's ancient Hemi, but the way they package and market the trucks - that big '5.7 HEMI' insert on the hood scoop - that is a big deal to that certain buyer that thinks they have the biggest and baddest.

Dodge.PNG

Edited by Kev-Mo

What I meant was, do you think that given a Ram and F150 with similar looks and power but the Ford having a TTV6 and Ram having a V8 that people would buy the Ram just because it’s a V8 - no other reason?   I think most would prefer one or the other based on styling, features, etc and only one or two would get the Ram just to get a V8.  

Now if the V8 had more power that’s different.  But with the gt500 SC 5.2L V8 available it’s probably a moot point.

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

What I meant was, do you think that given a Ram and F150 with similar looks and power but the Ford having a TTV6 and Ram having a V8 that people would buy the Ram just because it’s a V8 - no other reason?  

Yes, absolutely.  A big V8, with the size of the motor posted on the side of the truck in the most 'in-your-face' manner possible- I'm serious.  Why do you think Dodge/RAM and Toyota go so far to make sure you know what is under the hood?

I read that Toyota is going with TTV6 in the next Tundra.  We'll see how that works out for them because, while I'm sure Toyota will do the TTV6 right, their Tundra has been marketed as the "big bad V8' and appeals to the same guys that like the notion of a bold truck and big HEMI, but won't touch a Ford or Chevy if their life depended on it.

Edited by Kev-Mo

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

I read that Toyota is going with TTV6 in the next Tundra.  We'll see how that works out for them because, while I'm sure Toyota will do the TTV6 right, their Tundra has been marketed as the "big bad V8' and appeals to the same guys that like the notion of a bold truck and big HEMI, but won't touch a Ford or Chevy if their life depended on it.

So back when Toyota said they were going to make a 1/2 ton, having a big bad V8 did nothing for them.  They still haven't come close to outselling the Big 3 in this market.

I for one don't care about V8.  It's more about torque.  And to get big torque numbers, RAM would have to go with a bigger heavier V8 to achieve the same torque the Ford has.  Not worth it to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

What I meant was, do you think that given a Ram and F150 with similar looks and power but the Ford having a TTV6 and Ram having a V8 that people would buy the Ram just because it’s a V8 - no other reason?   I think most would prefer one or the other based on styling, features, etc and only one or two would get the Ram just to get a V8.  

Now if the V8 had more power that’s different.  But with the gt500 SC 5.2L V8 available it’s probably a moot point.

I think you would be surprised by the amount of people that would choose the V8. The sound is part of the equation in this category of vehicle.  This is where the current Raptor comes up short.  If the power is equal between the two, it will likely be less of a factor and brand loyalty could play into it.  As I said before though, there are a lot of conquest sales related to the Raptor, and brand loyalty may be less of a factor.

I still think the TRX will have two motor options with the Hellcat being the top range, so the Raptor can go with two motors as well, a 3.5HO with a power bump and the GT 500 or a hybrid setup and the GT 500 motor. One reason it could be the latter is because one of the engine oil sheets didn’t show with that 3.5 HO. I’m looking forward to finding out the details on the new Raptor to see what route they take.  

Whatever the case, it should be a win for the customer as it prevents Ford from resting on its laurels.    

Edited by tbone

I think we'd be surprised by the number of people who just want something different too (or the new shiny thing on the block).

I mean think about it, we could say the same thing about the Wrangler & Bronco.  Jeep has owned that segment for decades, but people will want something different (or we hope so at least)

Ford has owned offroad full-sizers for years, but there's a large number of people who may want something different.  If they differentiate it enough from the Raptor, Ram may have something on their hands.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like the Bronco vs Wrangler...the TRX vs Raptor will only help improve both

Plus I'm sure Ford has something waiting in the wings to answer the Hemi version..maybe a hybrid 3.5L Ecoboost? Given how well the 3.0L Ecoboost PHEV performs in the Aviator, a 3.5L ecoboost Hybrid would be amazing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Like the Bronco vs Wrangler...the TRX vs Raptor will only help improve both

Plus I'm sure Ford has something waiting in the wings to answer the Hemi version..maybe a hybrid 3.5L Ecoboost? Given how well the 3.0L Ecoboost PHEV performs in the Aviator, a 3.5L ecoboost Hybrid would be amazing. 

My money is on a GT500 powertrain.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:59 AM, J-150 said:

I'd rather see the GT500 powerplant in a Lightning.

Why not both?

On 7/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, akirby said:

On 7/7/2020 at 12:31 PM, akirby said:

I belong to a few Raptor Facebook groups and forums and I can say without a doubt that many Raptor owners will be trading their trucks in on the Hellcat TRX. From what I see, about half, if not more, of the Raptor owners in these groups are not "Ford" guys. They are the type of people that rush out to by the latest & greatest. For many of them, their Raptor is their first and only Ford. If Ford wants to retain these types of customers, they need to make the GT500 powertrain (or maybe even the 7.3) available in the next Raptor.

5 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

Why not both?

I belong to a few Raptor Facebook groups and forums and I can say without a doubt that many Raptor owners will be trading their trucks in on the Hellcat TRX. From what I see, about half, if not more, of the Raptor owners in these groups are not "Ford" guys. They are the type of people that rush out to by the latest & greatest. For many of them, their Raptor is their first and only Ford. If Ford wants to retain these types of customers, they need to make the GT500 powertrain (or maybe even the 7.3) available in the next Raptor.

Some folks will always jump ship no matter what you do.   Ford will do what Ford thinks is best and they'll lose some buyers and gain others.   But going from the current Raptor to a Hellcat TRX wasn't my point - that's a significant jump in power.  I was talking about 3.5LEB to a regular Hemi V8 just because it's a V8.

But I agree they should go with the GT500 powertrain if possible.  Based on what they're doing with other vehicles recently I'd say it's a given unless there are supply of technical issues.  Why waste that engine on one vehicle?

53 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

Why not both?

This would be my arbitrary observation as well.  I know several people who have bought Raptors that were not previous Ford truck buyers.  It’s a group that is not your typical loyal truck brand buyer it seems.  

Edited by tbone

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Could be. If you look closely, the High Output 3.5EB has been dropped from the 2021 F-150 Limited, so maybe there's change a comin' for Raptor?

HRG

2020 Limited HO 3.5EB.JPG

2021 F150 Limited 3.5EB.JPG

To be fair, they did give the Limited the PowerBoost powertrain, and we don't know the power figures for it yet (at least I haven't found them anywhere).

---

It'd be cool if they gave the Raptor GT500's powertrain.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

To be fair, they did give the Limited the PowerBoost powertrain, and we don't know the power figures for it yet (at least I haven't found them anywhere).

It'd be cool if they gave the Raptor GT500's powertrain.

Shit I forgot about the PowerBoost Power Train...that would be the hybrid 3.5L Ecoboost

Then we have this:

2021-ford-f-150-to-be-the-most-powerful-light-duty-full-size-pickup_1.jpg

Doing some assuming here-

Turbocharged 3.0L V6 400 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque

PHEV/Turbocharged 3.0L V6 494 horsepower and 630 lb.-ft. of torque

Turbocharged 3.5L 450 Horsepower 510 lb-ft of Torque in the Raptor

Turbocharged 3.5L 647 Horsepower 550 lb-ft of Torque in the GT

So lets assume that Ford bumps the power of the Raptor engine another 75HP and adds a bit more torque to it. Then add in a hi-po version of the PowerBoost would easily put it over 700HP mark if they wanted to. 

There's been rumors of another Ford GT model getting shown off in the next two weeks..maybe they are adding the powerboost 3.5L to it?