2021 Ram TRX Raptor Slayer to be revealed this summer

probowler

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Shit I forgot about the PowerBoost Power Train...that would be the hybrid 3.5L Ecoboost

Then we have this:

2021-ford-f-150-to-be-the-most-powerful-light-duty-full-size-pickup_1.jpg

Doing some assuming here-

Turbocharged 3.0L V6 400 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque

PHEV/Turbocharged 3.0L V6 494 horsepower and 630 lb.-ft. of torque

Turbocharged 3.5L 450 Horsepower 510 lb-ft of Torque in the Raptor

Turbocharged 3.5L 647 Horsepower 550 lb-ft of Torque in the GT

So lets assume that Ford bumps the power of the Raptor engine another 75HP and adds a bit more torque to it. Then add in a hi-po version of the PowerBoost would easily put it over 700HP mark if they wanted to. 

There's been rumors of another Ford GT model getting shown off in the next two weeks..maybe they are adding the powerboost 3.5L to it?

Question though - I think "most powerful light duty full size pickup" is talking about "regular" models from GM/Ram, I think it's excluding Raptor.  I don't think they're going to make the Limited more powerful than the Raptor.  Plus "technically" the Raptor wasn't around at the time of that debut, so the terminology wouldn't include Raptor.

Here's what I found:

Ford (2020 models):

5.0 - 395/400

3.5 - 375/470

3.5HO - 450/510

Chevy/GMC

5.3 - 355/383

6.2 - 420/460

Ram

5.7 - 395/410

So of the "regular" models, GM has the most horsepower at 420, Ford has the most torque at 470.  So I would expect PowerBoost to beat those figures, and looking at those numbers, that'd put it right around the current motor, so my guess is it's going to at least match the current 3.5HO motor it has now.

That would also put Raptor as a candidate for it too....

I hadn't heard about the new GT model, but yeah, it'd make sense for it to get PB too if it has room for a battery.

Edited by rmc523

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

OK, to open this video they showed the clip from Jurassic Park where the T-Rex chomps down on the Raptor and does an unholy wail.  That was pretty damn funny (and also shows you who they are gunning for).

You mean they're not gunning for the Titan Pro 4X?

• Haha 1

The new TRX rides on a new and unique frame that is approximately 75% new when compared to a standard Ram 1500 frame. Ram uses latest technology and high-strength steel to make this half-ton truck frame nearly as strong and rigid as a heavy duty truck’s frame.

This truck rides on a slightly longer wheelbase and 6-inch wider track. The TRX is a crazy 88-inches wide. This is wider than the current 2020 Ford Raptor! Why all the extra size? It’s for suspension travel, ground clearance, bigger tires, and more.

The TRX has 13 inches of front wheel travel, 14 inches of rear travel. It has 11.8 inches of ground clearance. It rides on 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires that also allow the truck to reach a top speed of 118 MPH.

Under the hood breathes a 6.2-liter supercharged Hellcat V8 engine. This one produces 702 horsepower @ 6,100 rpm and 650 lb-ft of torque. The engine is mated to a beefy ZF 8-speed automatic transmission.

Ram claims the following TRX acceleration specs:

• 0-60 MPH in 4.5 seconds
  • 1/4-mile in 12.9 seconds at 108 MPH

The TRX starts at $69,995 plus a $1,695 destination charge (or $71,690). This is a high price, but it’s impressive when you consider all the performance that is packed into this truck.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/08/world-debut-2021-ram-trx-uses-hd-truck-jeep-and-srt-know-how-to-take-on-the-ford-raptor/

Orders open tomorrow and deliveries start this year.

RM021_403FN.jpg

RM021_419FN.jpg

RM021_409FN.jpg

RM021_405FN.jpg

Edited by Anthony

Anyone and everyone knew FCA was going to do this. The supercharged V8 is their low hanging fruit for performance, just as long as they can buy energy credits from Tesla. Ford should of had ample time to come up with a response. Not sure anyone knows exactly what it be (or they aren't saying).

Below are a few options. I think we'll see a split of either 1 and 3 or 4. Having a standard Raptor and a Raptor R with a Max performance powertrain.

1. Keep Hi-Po 3.5 (450/510...possibly a few more ponies but minimal)

2. Add more power to 3.5 (500/530)

3. GT 500 engine (720/650)

4. Performance hybrid (possibly from Aviator?)

1 minute ago, jcartwright99 said:

Anyone and everyone knew FCA was going to do this. The supercharged V8 is their low hanging fruit for performance, just as long as they can buy energy credits from Tesla. Ford should of had ample time to come up with a response. Not sure anyone knows exactly what it be (or they aren't saying).

Below are a few options. I think we'll see a split of either 1 and 3 or 4. Having a standard Raptor and a Raptor R with a Max performance powertrain.

1 and 3 makes the most sense to me.  Keep the current one and add the R model with the supercharged 5.2L.

• Like 2

Just now, Stray Kat said:

Superchargers in the dusty desert? I’m not so sure about the durability in that.

No different than a twin turbocharged V6, right?   Ford ran the Raptor engine in Baja with no problems (including a teardown at Sema).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Or just go with a retuned 445 Thunderjet with about 500 horsepower. You’ll still have the lighter truck but with that big inch V8 sound. 

No turbos, no super sand sucking superchargers. Just an inexpensive N/A V8 that checks all the boxes. 

Leave the 0-60 magazine numbers to Mopar and the guys that have an extra 20K lying around. 

Take Raptor mainstream. Make it simpler and less expensive to buy. Own the category. 

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

No different than a twin turbocharged V6, right?   Ford ran the Raptor engine in Baja with no problems (including a teardown at Sema).

No not in my opinion. Two long tight fitting rotors in an aluminum blower case are very vulnerable to abrasives. 

I think turbos can pass the really fine stuff much easier. 

Did FCA take these to Abu Dahbi and test them where most of them will go? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

You forgot the PowerBoost 3.5 EB they could boost up too.

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

1 and 3 makes the most sense to me.  Keep the current one and add the R model with the supercharged 5.2L.

It'd be great if Ford immediately stomped on TRX with the GT500 engine, but I'm not sure I see that happening.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t see the power boost 3.5eb getting anywhere close to that kind of power, unless I missed something.

I'm just speculating as to potential "off the shelf" options they have.

Depends on what kind of electric motor they could get in there?

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'm just speculating as to potential "off the shelf" options they have.

Depends on what kind of electric motor they could get in there?

I guess theoretically they could use the Aviator GT motor and batteries with the 5.0/5.2 or the HO 3.5.  Just seems easier to go with the GT500 powertrain.  It's on the shelf and should bolt right in.

46 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

No not in my opinion. Two long tight fitting rotors in an aluminum blower case are very vulnerable to abrasives. 

I think turbos can pass the really fine stuff much easier. 

Did FCA take these to Abu Dahbi and test them where most of them will go? 

They mentioned in the livestream that the engine, supercharger and intake were all designed to perform fine in the dusty environment of the desert.

• Like 1