2021 Ram TRX Raptor Slayer to be revealed this summer

probowler

Surprised, but not really surprised, that we are still "discussing the panther" as a viable option. I mean,  we played TAPS 9 yeas ago. What has the car market done since then? Tanked with a capital T! A revised CV would not have made a difference. The car market will continue to shrink and at this point I'd rather Ford not waste their time thinking about a sedan when there are more profitable growth areas (Bronco for example).

5 hours ago, akirby said:

But probably not enough takers to justify the R&D...

Eh, I know my dad would've gotten a Lightning over a Raptor (they'd have to offer it in 4 doors these days) if it were offered..

Edited by rmc523

I think there is a demand for V8 high horsepower trucks. The TRX first edition sold out in 3 hours, so much for not having any demand for a high horsepower V8 Trucks. One thing Dodge does better than Ford is make enough product so their core hotrod customers can get the top performance product without being bent over by their dealers. Unlike Ford who is only interested in selling a few so their dealers can rape their loyal customers over the coals with there added ADM's. Seeing how many left over Raptors are on the lots with the 3.5 shows it not what the market really wants in a performance truck. The older Raptors never stayed on the lot like the 3.5 raptors. The 3.5 engine is a good engine but it still no V8 and makes for a great truck engine for normal usage, just not high performance.  If Ford Ecoboosted a V8 I bet they could sell a few. That is why the top euro cars and trucks all have V8's such as the M5, E63.X5M just to name a few. If Ford offered a ecoboost V8 I would take it over the V6 any day. That's just me. 

Edited by Shelby32
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

I think there is a demand for V8 high horsepower trucks. The TRX first edition sold out in 3 hours, so much for not having any demand for a high horsepower V8 Trucks.

Also, GM is rumored to be making a supercharged Silverado as a Raptor competitor as well. So it really makes sense for Ford to respond to its two competitors in the segment it made in a similar way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

The older Raptors never stayed on the lot like the 3.5 raptors. The 3.5 engine is a good engine but it still no V8 and makes for a great truck engine for normal usage, just not high performance. 

That’s because they’re building and selling about twice as many of the new Raptors as the old 6.2s, best I can piece together.  So much for that theory.

And the 3.5eb will outperform the 6.2L and probably the 7.3L bone stock, not to mention a tuned version.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s because they’re building and selling about twice as many of the new Raptors as the old 6.2s, best I can piece together.  So much for that theory.

And the 3.5eb will outperform the 6.2L and probably the 7.3L bone stock, not to mention a tuned version.

More Noise= More Power! Don't you know? Never mind that the 6.2 is a frigging dog compared to a HO 3.5 GTDI... 

If hamsters having an orgy on a wheel and make more power, I wouldn't care. Power is power.    

If you don't like the noise that the Raptor makes in the cabin, have your local dealer go into "programmable parameters" and switch off the engine noise enhancer. Makes a HUGE difference. 

3 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

I think there is a demand for V8 high horsepower trucks. The TRX first edition sold out in 3 hours, so much for not having any demand for a high horsepower V8 Trucks. One thing Dodge does better than Ford is make enough product so their core hotrod customers can get the top performance product without being bent over by their dealers. Unlike Ford who is only interested in selling a few so their dealers can rape their loyal customers over the coals with there added ADM's. Seeing how many left over Raptors are on the lots with the 3.5 shows it not what the market really wants in a performance truck. The older Raptors never stayed on the lot like the 3.5 raptors. The 3.5 engine is a good engine but it still no V8 and makes for a great truck engine for normal usage, just not high performance.  If Ford Ecoboosted a V8 I bet they could sell a few. That is why the top euro cars and trucks all have V8's such as the M5, E63.X5M just to name a few. If Ford offered a ecoboost V8 I would take it over the V6 any day. That's just me. 

Let me preface this with I want a V-8 in my next Raptor, but the current 3.5 is definitely better than my last 6.2. I think when you see Raptors sitting on the lot there are two factors in play.  The first reason is they seem to be building more, and the second reason is geographic location dependent. I have a friends in California that say you still have difficulty getting them out there.  

Edited by tbone

Yeah the 3.5 V6 ecoboost will out perform Fords V8's because Ford not investing in their V8's. If Ford made an ecoboost V8 it would walk all over the V6 plain and simple. Its like Ford offers the V8 but rather you buy the V6. The V6 is a compromise engine made for packaging reasons. The V8 is just a smoother more balanced engine and makes more pleasing sounds when you roll the windows down. Ford could also do better by making the 3.5 ecoboost a in line 6, it would be smoother and better balanced. Just like the Germans are doing by getting rid of their V6's and going back to the inline 6's. Those inline 6's are so much smoother and sound so much better then the V6's. I know Fords all about profits and the ecoboost makes them some cash for sure. I dont hate V6's I just prefer the V8's and inline motors more. I have 3.0 in my MKZ awd black label and its a fine engine. But if I had a choice the V8 would be my choice especially for a any top performance model. Its like the new Mach1 Ford came out with, its just a parts car nothing new about it except the trim. The did not even touch the V8 in the mach1 it a carry over from another model which was a big let down. The only place I see Ford going the extra mile is in the Lincoln's and the new Bronco line, just hope they put more effort in their other line of vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 4:50 AM, Shelby32 said:

The V6 is a compromise engine made for packaging reasons.

WTF are you smoking? You do realize that every single V8 until the 6.2/7.3L was "compromised" for packaging reasons?  The Whole fucking Point of the Modular V8 (which begat the 4.6/5.0 and 5.2L V8s) was to fit under the hood of the late 1980s FWD Continental that was built off the Taurus platform. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

WTF are you smoking? You do realize that every single V8 until the 6.2/7.3L was "compromised" for packaging reasons?  The Whole fucking Point of the Modular V8 (which begat the 4.6/5.0 and 5.2L V8s) was to fit under the hood of the late 1980s mid 1990's FWD Continental that was built off the Taurus platform. 

Fixed.

silvrsvt  WFT you smoking? The V-8 is a better compromise then any V6 ever made, its more balanced as an engine period and makes all the wright sounds. When Ferrari and Mclaren start using V6 in any of their top performance cars then I may agree with you but probably not. The V6 is a out balance design and cheaper to make and that is why Ford uses it. A Ecoboost V8 would eat a Ecoboost V6 any day of the week if Ford made one. That is why BMW and Mercedes top engines are not V6 but V8's heck they are dropping their V6's for smoother inline 6's. V6 engine will never be as pleasing to drive as a smooth V8 all thing being equal. So quit smoking  your ecoboost tailpipes. I am glad Ford did not stick that ecoboost V6 in any of the Shelby's at least they have some smarts.  

Edited by Shelby32

The Raptor's 3.5 EB V6 is a good performance match for the competition's atmo V8s but,

when the V8s get a blower, the power and torque steeples, 500 hp, 600 hp is not good enough.

Top of the line buyers now expect factory +700 hp truck engine that makes the right noise.

For me, owning something with 700 HP would be terrifying but here we are with HP truck buyers.

I'm smiling here knowing that the EB V6 Raptor could still continue with an apex S/C V8 above it,

so if the V8 model is all about pleasing up buyers and keeping Ram in check, is something like

a blown 7.3 completely out of the question? and would that be a better fit for a maxed out truck.

Edited by jpd80